VMWare, Parallels release new virtualization betas for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
VMware and Parallels, two software developers set to duel it out for a share of the Mac virtualization market, have recently released new betas of products that let users of Intel Macs run Microsoft's Windows operating system alongside Mac OS X.

Parallels was first to market with its solution dubbed Parallels Desktop, which made its debut earlier this year to much fanfare. The $80 virtualization software has been the recipient of many favorable reviews and adopted a strong following from users who want to run both the Mac OS X and Windows simultaneously on their new Intel Macs.

Parallels Desktop is largely considered by Intel Mac users to be a more capable alternative to Apple's Boot Camp software because it does not require users to reboot their Macs in order to switch between operating system.

For its part, Apple has also openly praised the advantages offered by Parallels, plugging the software in versions of its "Get a Mac" television advertising campaign and carrying copies for sale at its international retail chain.

Though there has been ongoing industry discussion that Apple would eventually morph its Boot Camp software into its own virtualization solution that would rival Parallels, company executives have stated at least twice that it has no plans to do so.

The most recent comment on the matter came from Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer, who recently reiterated in a sit-down meeting with Bear Stearns analyst Andy Neff that the company will not enter the embedded virtualization market.

"Apple indicated that it is very pleased with Parallels software and didn't feel the need to compete with its own version of embedded virtualization," Neff wrote in a note to his clients following the meeting.

Parallels Desktop Beta 2

In a public "Beta 2" release of Parallels Desktop this week, the Renton, Wash.-based software developer rolled out a plethora of new features that were previously detailed in a Dec. 1 AppleInsider report, including tight integration with Boot Camp partitions. The release also adds a new user interface, USB 2.0 support, an improved coherence mode and the ability to burn optical discs under Windows.

VMware joins the party with Fusion

At the same time, Parallels is bracing itself for some stiff competition from VMware, which on Friday released the first public beta of a competing virtualization product carrying the "Fusion" moniker.

"Fusion is the codename for a new VMware desktop product for Mac that will enable Intel-based Macs to run x86 operating systems, such as Windows and Linux, in virtual machines at the same time as Mac OS X," the company told testers in an email announcing the public beta program. "It is built on VMware's robust and advanced desktop virtualization platform that is used by over four million users today."

VMware said Fusion can run any of the over 360 virtual appliances available at its Virtual Appliance Marketplace. The pre-built and pre-configured applications come bundled with an operating system so they can run on any hardware or operating system, the company said. Some of the appliances featured on its marketplace are Astaro Security Gateway, B-hive Transaction Visibility Manager, Proofpoint Messaging Security Gateway, Loadbalancer, and SpamTitan.

Similar to Parallels Desktop, initial features of Fusion include USB 2.0 support, drag-and-drop of files and folders between Mac OS X and Windows, and support for all Intel Mac hardware -- including the new 64-bit Mac Pro and iMac. However, Fusion offers a distinct capability in allowing users to designate multiple virtual processors in order to leverage the dual-core Core Duo chips available in the latest Intel Macs.

Where to get the goods

VMware's Fusion beta along with documentation (PDF) and an FAQ are available from the company's website. Similarly, information on the latest beta of Parallels Desktop is also available from the Parallels website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    How come we never hear about products like CrossOver in AI articles?

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Perhaps it's because I'm not just the average user, but I would almost think this is bigger than BootCamp and/or any virtualization software.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    I use Parallels but have been interested in upgrading to Beta 2. I had a hard time choosing between Boot Camp and Parallels but chose Parallels since I like running Windows side by side with OS X. The only downside is I have two games I'd like to play which won't work under Parallels and I have always wanted to install Boot Camp too but don't want to waste hard drive space on both so seems that issue has been fixed now that it is integrated with Boot Camp.

My question, since I already have Parallels does that mean I have to completely reinstall Parallels to make a Boot Camp windows partition or can I convert my current parallels virtual windows drive to boot camp?
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I use Parallels but have been interested in upgrading to Beta 2. I had a hard time choosing between Boot Camp and Parallels but chose Parallels since I like running Windows side by side with OS X. The only downside is I have two games I'd like to play which won't work under Parallels and I have always wanted to install Boot Camp too but don't want to waste hard drive space on both so seems that issue has been fixed now that it is integrated with Boot Camp.

My question, since I already have Parallels does that mean I have to completely reinstall Parallels to make a Boot Camp windows partition or can I convert my current parallels virtual windows drive to boot camp?

I don't know how the current version works, but I was able to accomplish this simply by installing bootcamp'ed XP and telling parallels to use that directory as the system volume... basically having boot camp and parallels use the same directory for XP.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Shouldn't it be 'duel' not 'dual'?
  • Reply 5 of 55
    AI needs a copy-editor staffed full-time.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

AI needs a copy-editor staffed full-time.

I was just thinking the same thing. BTW, it's "Friday" not "friday".
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Craigb6 View Post

Shouldn't it be 'duel' not 'dual'?

no. it shouldn't.

dual= 2 at once

duel = fight at dawn ;P

-----------------------

**MY BAD**

yes it should be duel.. heh just assumed they were talking about "dual" booting..well it shouldn't really even be duel because "duel it out" doesn't really scan
  • Reply 8 of 55
    come on you nerds, the point is you understood what the writer said. this is not Writings 101 in college. AI's job is to give us some "inside" information on upcoming Apple products and etc. AI's job is not get an A+ on grammar and spelling.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

How come we never hear about products like CrossOver in AI articles?

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Perhaps it's because I'm not just the average user, but I would almost think this is bigger than BootCamp and/or any virtualization software.

You're kidding, right? Why would it be bigger? It hardly ever works, and is an utter pain to use, configure and maintain. Parallels with Coherence is dramatically better. It already killed Codeweavers -- they might not get that yet -- but once they add video acceleration, they'll be deader than dead. Seriously, Codeweavers is a toy to make delusional WINE/Linux/OSS fanboys happy. It'll never be more.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post

duel = fight at dawn ;P

Exactly, that's the whole point. The word in the article should be "duel". The article is referring to the fact that these two solutions will be "fighting it out" in the "virtualisation on OS X" market.

Edit: Archstudent's post updated as I was replying.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

come on you nerds, the point is you understood what the writer said. this is not Writings 101 in college. AI's job is to give us some "inside" information on upcoming Apple products and etc. AI's job is not get an A+ on grammar and spelling.

"...Writings 101...", "...job is not get...".

Oh, dear.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Do any of you guys think that Apple may in fact integrate its own virtualization of Windows in Leopard contrary to their statements saying otherwise? I'm thinking that this may in fact happen. I don't have any knowledge of the $ pros/cons of doing so, but in theory I figure that it would be a HUGE feature that would lure a larger number of switchers. Do you guys agree/disagree? Clearly they would deny a Boot Camp virtualization feature if they had that in store as a marketing plan. They couldn't just say, "Oh yeah, it's going to be that 'One more thing' we were talking about. You'll be able to run Windows at the same time as you run our superior operation system. Look out Microsoft!" Right?
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety View Post

You're kidding, right? Why would it be bigger? It hardly ever works, and is an utter pain to use, configure and maintain. Parallels with Coherence is dramatically better. It already killed Codeweavers -- they might not get that yet -- but once they add video acceleration, they'll be deader than dead. Seriously, Codeweavers is a toy to make delusional WINE/Linux/OSS fanboys happy. It'll never be more.

You may be right, but codeweaver's initial concept of having windows app without an OS should be an influence to others. From a stepping stone standpoint, something like this is much bigger. It's totally subjective though.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:

You may be right, but codeweaver's initial concept of having windows app without an OS should be an influence to others. From a stepping stone standpoint, something like this is much bigger. It's totally subjective though.

Anyone can come up with a concept. I have a concept to run Mac apps on a PC or cell phone without buying Mac hardware or an OS. Also it doesn't even require an install! Implementation is another thing, however.

The fact that they are talking about actually charging money for a product like Codeweavers (which rarely works) doesn't help, either.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lseven View Post

Anyone can come up with a concept. I have a concept to run Mac apps on a PC or cell phone without buying Mac hardware or an OS. Also it doesn't even require an install! Implementation is another thing, however.

The fact that they are talking about actually charging money for a product like Codeweavers (which rarely works) doesn't help, either.

Wow, you took that pretty literal, you sure you're not a PC user?

It's funny to hear you interpret "concepts". I will admit this whole virtualization, and rebooting to get into another OS, is a great "transition". I think this whole BootCamp thing is a great experiment... but lacking from the multitasker perspective. It may be years to come, but you'll look back and laugh, "Can you believe we had to reboot, just to get to a certain application, and then reboot again to resume our native operating machine?"

Google Keyword search: "Big Picture". try it sometime
  • Reply 16 of 55
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Exactly, that's the whole point. The word in the article should be "duel". The article is referring to the fact that these two solutions will be "fighting it out" in the "virtualisation on OS X" market.

If I had written it, I would be claiming that it was meant as a clever pun.

(two solutions for running two OS's fighting... dual/duel....get it?)
  • Reply 17 of 55
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Wow, you took that pretty literal, you sure you're not a PC user?

It's funny to hear you interpret "concepts". I will admit this whole virtualization, and rebooting to get into another OS, is a great "transition". I think this whole BootCamp thing is a great experiment... but lacking from the multitasker perspective. It may be years to come, but you'll look back and laugh, "Can you believe we had to reboot, just to get to a certain application, and then reboot again to resume our native operating machine?"

Google Keyword search: "Big Picture". try it sometime

I'm with you domerdel.

Whenever you hear anyone explain why they want Windows as well as MacOS, they

mostly say it is to enable them to run specific application(s). Not many Mac users

want to run Windows just for the enjoyment of running the OS. The approach of

wrapping an application in a "bottle" to run within an OS for which it was not

coded is another way, besides virtualization, of accomplishing the objective. It

has the appealing advantage of not requiring people to financially support MSFT.

If I were going to wish for AAPL to acquire any intellectual property to allow the

running of Windows apps under Mac OS, I would rather they pursue this design

approach than virtualization.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Let's get to the point here people.

Who is using Fusion right now? I am d/l'ing the beta as we speak for my 24" iMac.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"...Writings 101...", "...job is not get...". ...Oh, dear.

Ha ha
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Let's get to the point here people. Who is using Fusion right now? I am d/l'ing the beta as we speak for my 24" iMac.

I just got a newsletter from VMWare inviting me to the PC version of their latest Beta:

"We are pleased to invite you to the VMware Workstation 6.0 Beta Program. Workstation 6.0 includes exciting new features, including:

* Support for Windows Vista - Use Windows Vista as host operating system

* Multiple monitor display - You can configure a VM to span multiple monitors, or multiple VMs to each display on separate monitors.

* Integrated Virtual Debugger - Workstation integrates with Visual Studio and Eclipse so you can deploy, run, and debug programs in a VM directly from your preferred IDE

* Automation APIs (VIX API 2.0) - You can write scripts and programs to automate VM testing.

* Headless mode - You can run VMs in the background without the Workstation UI
    "