It seems that Apple isn't selling the iSight anymore...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have looked at Apples website and where the iSight was listed it has power accessories instead.

What happened? Does this mean that we might be seeing something new at MWSF '07? Displays with built-in iSights?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    Displays with iSights?

about bloody time.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    A cautious windows user is about to embark on an iMac when Leopard is launched. I know what an iSight looks like - pretty much like the webcam stuck on my PC - but can Cats or Fisha tell me what's a Display iSight?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tommy Peters

A cautious windows user is about to embark on an iMac when Leopard is launched. I know what an iSight looks like - pretty much like the webcam stuck on my PC - but can Cats or Fisha tell me what's a Display iSight?

The in built iSight is a tiny little camera situated above your screen. You can see it on the apple website on the MacBooks, MacBook Pros and iMac. It is supposedly better quality than the external iSight camera, and is rather neat. Rumour has it that it will eventually be incororated into the Cinema Displays too. All clear?

If you are buying an iMac, you will have an iSight built in anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Maybe it is just a green move? A new iSight would keep those green campaigners happy and allow them to sell it in Europe too. Not saying that we won't see it in Cinema Displays, just that we might ALSO see a replacement iSight for older users.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Thanks Graeme, can I pick you on this. Are there overheating issues on the iMac? My brother who has used several Macs said so. His beef was that heat generated due to prolonged use – upwards of 6 hours - in a room with faulty air conditioning blew the MXM on his 24. Same thing happened to his G4. The specs say operating temperatures are 10 to 35c. Malaysia is pretty hot and we can run 30 to 40c indoors.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I've not heard of any overheating issues on the current crop of iMacs, but not being an iMac owner, I can't really comment.

There were a lot of rumblings round here about heat in early MacBook Pros, but I didn't notice much about iMacs. Have a quick search to be sure, but I don't think it will be a huge concern. Also - completely disregard any G4 or G5 overheating problems - these are totally irrelevant as they are totally different chips.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren

The in built iSight is a tiny little camera situated above your screen. You can see it on the apple website on the MacBooks, MacBook Pros and iMac. It is supposedly better quality than the external iSight camera, and is rather neat. Rumour has it that it will eventually be incororated into the Cinema Displays too. All clear?

If you are buying an iMac, you will have an iSight built in anyway.

That would make sense too. I've noticed the horrible reviews coming from Apples sight about the iSight. It might be both of those reasons for the pulling. Makes slight more sense than iSights built into the displays. But it would help Apple gain a edge in the display market ($700 is not worth it if you can get a Dell display for $300 with more features)
  • Reply 8 of 27
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fisha

Displays with iSights?

about bloody time.

yes and no.

I like the idea of a stand alone camera. Hopefully an improved isight in a smaller format.

it's pretty neat to be able to move the camera around freely. you can't do that with one built on a display.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy

yes and no.

I like the idea of a stand alone camera. Hopefully an improved isight in a smaller format.

it's pretty neat to be able to move the camera around freely. you can't do that with one built on a display.

I recently saw a patent where Apple showed a swiveling iSight on top of a MB or MBP (It would work jest as well with a display)
  • Reply 10 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO

I recently saw a patent where Apple showed a swiveling iSight on top of a MB or MBP (It would work jest as well with a display)

But the external iSight doesn't just swivel; you can pretty much carry it around your room (within limits).
  • Reply 11 of 27

Here are the images of the patent. Looks like its detachable too!
  • Reply 12 of 27
    cool, I like it
  • Reply 13 of 27
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Iam waiting for MW to see if we get cinema displays with built-in isights. If we do, I am ordering a 20" for my second monitor on my 24" iMac.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    Personally, i've never felt the need for a swivel camera. Any that i've had have been stuck on the top of the machine and just left there. If I wanted to take a picture of something else i just used a normal digi-cam.

Personally, the current displays are lacking behind competitors in terms of input features and also they aren't following the trend of Apples own direction as far I can see. A lot of the current stuff ( including the pro line of laptops ) have iSights and remote sensors . . . why the displays dont i have no idea.

I think the displays are long overdue an update . . . . and a price drop.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tommy Peters

Thanks Graeme, can I pick you on this. Are there overheating issues on the iMac? My brother who has used several Macs said so. His beef was that heat generated due to prolonged use ? upwards of 6 hours - in a room with faulty air conditioning blew the MXM on his 24. Same thing happened to his G4. The specs say operating temperatures are 10 to 35c. Malaysia is pretty hot and we can run 30 to 40c indoors.

Not the current iMac. They use a laptop platform instead of a desktop platform to achieve this.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    A new drawing: Apple Display W/ OPTIONAL WIRELESS iSight

FEATURES
    Uses BlueTooth with coverage over 30 ft
    Costs $149
    Can be added to display with a magnet on the top of the display (if you get the display w/o the iSight a plastic placeholder takes its place)
    COMES WITH (stand alone or display)
    Handle (for shooting video up to 30 ft away w/ bluetooth)
    Stand (for people that don't have the new display) (also comes w/ the display ordered one)
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Just posted on Macrumors.com

According to several anonymous reports, Apple will be announcing new Displays at MacWorld San Francisco. The new Displays are said to include built-in iSight cameras, making up for the recent discontinuation of Apple's external iSight camera.

Reseller sources have reported different stories, with some saying that Apple had told them that the reason for the discontinuation of the iSight was because Apple believed that since most of their products contained built-in iSights, a standalone product was no longer needed. Such an explanation would seem to precede a display update with built-in iSights. However, other sources have indicated that the discontinuation may have been related to troubles getting the devices lead-free to comply with Europe's RoHS initiative.

Little other information is confirmed at this time, however there are some reports that the displays could see a redesign as well. LoopRumors has also claimed that new displays may be coming at MacWorld, with a thinner and lighter design geared towards increased mobility.

• Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Just posted on Macrumors.com

According to several anonymous reports, Apple will be announcing new Displays at MacWorld San Francisco. The new Displays are said to include built-in iSight cameras, making up for the recent discontinuation of Apple's external iSight camera.

Reseller sources have reported different stories, with some saying that Apple had told them that the reason for the discontinuation of the iSight was because Apple believed that since most of their products contained built-in iSights, a standalone product was no longer needed. Such an explanation would seem to precede a display update with built-in iSights. However, other sources have indicated that the discontinuation may have been related to troubles getting the devices lead-free to comply with Europe's RoHS initiative.

Little other information is confirmed at this time, however there are some reports that the displays could see a redesign as well. LoopRumors has also claimed that new displays may be coming at MacWorld, with a thinner and lighter design geared towards increased mobility.

I saw. Cool
  • Reply 19 of 27
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Why would Apple struggle to get the iSight lead-free?

If Apple are selling iMacs and MacBooks in Europe, then obviously they must be lead-free?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Why would Apple struggle to get the iSight lead-free?

If Apple are selling iMacs and MacBooks in Europe, then obviously they must be lead-free?

Professional customers have specific needs for monitors and it would be bad if Apple did not offer an iSight solution for their customers who choose to use non-Apple monitors. I would like to purchase an iSight for my PowerBook; I do not want to upgrade just for a webcam.