Expired Guinness (Draught version)....what to do?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited April 2014
Well after the Bailey's Cream bottle (expired 2002!) I decided to leave that one since the fermented dangers within the bottle might lead to a manslaughter charge if I offer it to the in-laws.

I've got a crate of Guinness Draught that also expired in 2002! What was I thinking of that year? Clearly I must've been working too hard.

Is Guiness Draught okay to drink when it's expired? The crate kind of looks pretty, and in low-lighting, I doubt any one is going to check the sell-by dates.....

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    It will be bad. Beer goes off very fast.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Crate! I bet you are the type that buys the 1000 count bottle of One-A-Day vitamins too.

Toss it. Save the crate for an end table if you like.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Ha ha. I prefer proper food to vitamins. Feels so bad binning booze like that ;(
  • Reply 4 of 27
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    You can drink it so long as you drink the resulting urine. I think there are some posters around here who can help you out with the science of that.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Ha ha. I prefer proper food to vitamins. Feels so bad binning booze like that ;(

Yes, it IS a shame. But my point is...stop buying so much booze. You obviously can't drink it anywhere near the alloted lifetime of it. (Would have helped finish off that Guiness though )

I realized the same thing when I bought the huge bottle of aspirin and 3 years after the expiration date had 3/4 of it left to throw out.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    This has gotten way out of hand...

All you need it old irish whiskey and you can make a fermented irish car bomb.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Actually he should have just kept around the Bailey's...
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Guiness tastes enough like swill to begin with that you probably won't notice the difference
  • Reply 9 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    A pox on you. Guinness is ambrosia.

I say pop it open and try it. Worst case, it's gone off, and you can give yourself hell for the next few months in penance for wasting it.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Right. That does it.

I'm not going to tell you what else I found in the cellar!

Besides, I have a penchant for most things Irish
  • Reply 11 of 27
    I had the same problem a few months ago. According to wikipedia (did not look it up now, citing from memory), it is safe to drink quite old beer, as long as the bottled was not opened. All that can happen is a change in taste and color. that's why they say "best before 2002".

I tried it, and it was still good. But proceed at your own risk...
  • Reply 12 of 27
    When beer tastes, smells, looks like skunk... it probably shouldn't be consumed...
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

A pox on you. Guinness is ambrosia.

I say pop it open and try it. Worst case, it's gone off, and you can give yourself hell for the next few months in penance for wasting it.

Sometimes...

They unfortunately seem to have the worst quality control of any company, ever.

Maybe 1 in five or six times, Guinness tastes amazing. The other times it's hardly drinkable.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

When beer tastes, smells, looks like skunk... it probably shouldn't be consumed...

I regularly check my beers for black and white stripes...
  • Reply 15 of 27
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    So much waste. Start drinking more you pussy!

• Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Sometimes...

They unfortunately seem to have the worst quality control of any company, ever.

Maybe 1 in five or six times, Guinness tastes amazing. The other times it's hardly drinkable.

Do these times correlate to an evening of pre-drinking?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    When I was a kid, me and my buddy discovered a six pack of stubbies buried in his back yard.

It seemed pretty old but we drank it anyway

Good times!
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Also, just noticed this Beer from 1869 that can be guzzled
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Do these times correlate to an evening of pre-drinking?

No, although I think it has to do with how much Guinness a bar served...how fresh it was. A bar back at my old school seemed to have good Guinness way above average.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

Also, just noticed this Beer from 1869 that can be guzzled

So there's hope

Just another 130 years to go before this Guinness gets opened then....