iBook G4 Charger

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a iBook G4, and it's charger gets extemley hot when plugged in for about 10 minutes. To where I can barley handle it. Is this normal?

Also when I put it close to my nose, I can smell a slight hint of that "burning" smell.

I just dont want it to catch fire on me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proctor View Post

I have a iBook G4, and it's charger gets extemley hot when plugged in for about 10 minutes. To where I can barley handle it. Is this normal?

Also when I put it close to my nose, I can smell a slight hint of that "burning" smell.

I just dont want it to catch fire on me.

if i were you, i would feel really uncomfortable with it being that hot and having the "burning" smell, i would try to get a replacement. if you live near an apple store, it wouldn't hurt just to take it in and ask if it's normal. i don't have an iBook so my guess is that it's not supposed to get that hot
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Doesn't seem normal, or at least my iBook doesn't do that..
  • Reply 3 of 3
    There area few apple chargers that were poorly designed, and supposedly this is a known problem. I know that my Powerbook G4 charger (1Ghz Ti) had a similar fate. They are impossible to take apart and fix (I tried, being an EE) so I just got a replacement on eBay. The iBook G4 chargers seem to be much cheaper than the PB G4 ones.

P.S. I actually bought a non-Apple charger, since I didn't want it going on the fritz again.