12-inch MacBook Pro

loulou
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://macosrumors.com/20061210-1A.html

Here's hoping to it actually coming about, a small powerful laptop is exactly what i need for audio editing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Mosr.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Looks ideal to me. I reckon that will make a lot of sales. Whenever I walk into a PC store, the laptops are absolutely huge and I would never consider buying one but I occasionally feel even the Macbook could be smaller. I really hope this thing comes about though I find it odd they would make a 12" MBP and a 13" MB when they have the same resolution.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    loulou Posts: 43member
    The article mentions nor branding it as either a MB or a MB pro, but as a new product, macthin maybe?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    macosrumors is teh SuX0r!
  • Reply 5 of 40
    I've seen this posted on a few other rumor sites too, seems it's on it's way, Apple have a gap in their product lineup which needs filling anyways.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sergej freud View Post

macosrumors is teh SuX0r!

MOSR is a joke site, not a rumors site. It's a parody of rumors sites, but no one seems to have caught on yet.

But this sort of thing could be real, since there used to be a 12" powerbook, and a lot of people (me included) want something smaller than 13.3 inches, and would love the "Pro" features.

But Apple needs to distinguish its Pro lineup a bit if it wants to do that. Right now the only difference between a MBP and MB are a fancy keyboard, a graphics card, and $500 (in addition to the bigger screen).

Also, they're making dumb mistakes on their site: The current Mac Pro has 25 PCIe lanes, not 24. And there's no realistic way to put all those features in a laptop and have it have 6+ hours of battery life. A Macbook Pro at 12 inches likely won't have an x1600, because in 2-3 months it'll be out-of-date (they're already discontinued in favor of x1650s of various flavors, and the x2k series is coming out soon), and because battery life is an issue. Also, there's no chance they'll give a choice between two similar cards, if there's a choice, it'll be between a -300 series and a -600 series, not between a x1600 and a GF 7600. They're pegging it for a top of the line processor, whch is unrealistic at best.

The whole thing just smells of "we don't know what we're talking about, now click our ads".
  • Reply 7 of 40
    MOSR is the only site i've found with rumored specs, however this site also mentions the rumor.

http://www.macscoop.com/articles/200...ed-macbook-pro
  • Reply 8 of 40
    The specs aren't real. You simply can't stick that fast a CPU in that small of a computer. Heat & physics, people.

However a ULV CPU might make room enough for a fanless GPU from ATI or Nvidia over Intel graphics.

I'd prefer no optical drive and a really big battery instead myself. Dump the hard drive for 32 GB of flash as well. Go freakishly thin and light, but retain awesome keyboard?that's all I ask.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    MOSR is not reliable in any respect. They just know there's a demand for such a MB(P) and are only trying to up the figures for the intrusive and inappropriate advertising.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

MOSR is not reliable in any respect. They just know there's a demand for such a MB(P) and are only trying to up the figures for the intrusive and inappropriate advertising.

The pessimists may be right on this, but why is it so unreasonable to expect Apple to make a laptop that weighs under 5 Lbs?
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdalmul View Post

The pessimists may be right on this, but why is it so unreasonable to expect Apple to make a laptop that weighs under 5 Lbs?

because their current lineup is doing a really good job. ok so they have a few small holes, but i don't understand how the macbook isn't just as portable as the 12" PB? look, the macbook is way too powerful and well rounded to be just consumer, it definetly counts as the portable pro machine (hence the black more "mature" color). apple has to appeal to the largest target market and aim for the largest profit because they are trying to come from behind; therefore, they can't afford to pinpoint a small market share such as the super portable range. sure, everyone wants more options (especially with the mini, but headless mac is another topic) but only large companies can afford to have 20 different models with only slight variations. personally, i think apple has almost hit the nail on the head with the macbook because look at the sales! its flying off the shelfs like the iBooks could have only dreamed of doing.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    The screen resolution seems too much for me, as the print will be tiny.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

The screen resolution seems too much for me, as the print will be tiny.

resolution independence a la leopard.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

because their current lineup is doing a really good job. ok so they have a few small holes, but i don't understand how the macbook isn't just as portable as the 12" PB?

Because the MacBook is around a pound heavier and larger in most dimensions than the 12" PowerBook. Therefore for those of use who have to carry our laptops on our backs all day the MacBook is certainly not a replacement.

Furthermore business people prefer ultraportables as do students, and an 11 hour battery life (like Fujitsu's new ultraportable, the LifeBook P7230) everyone can enjoy.

Repeat after me: The black MacBook is not a replacement for the 12" PowerBook despite what Apple may say, the black MacBook is not a replacement for the 12" PowerBook despite what Apple may say, the black MacBook is not a replacement for the 12" PowerBook despite what Apple may say?
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Because the MacBook is around a pound heavier and larger in most dimensions than the 12" PowerBook. Therefore for those of use who have to carry our laptops on our backs all day the MacBook is certainly not a replacement.

Furthermore business people prefer ultraportables as do students, and an 11 hour battery life (like Fujitsu's new ultraportable, the LifeBook P7230) everyone can enjoy.

Repeat after me: The black MacBook is not a replacement for the 12" PowerBook despite what Apple may say, the black MacBook is not a replacement for the 12" PowerBook despite what Apple may say, the black MacBook is not a replacement for the 12" PowerBook despite what Apple may say?

it may not be a good replacement but it is the current replacement, end of story. will that change? probably, but most likely only after flash is implemented
  • Reply 16 of 40
    And flash is very much a possibility now, if it's cost effective to fit 8GB in a consumer mp3 player then i'm sure they could double that to 16GB (or even 20GB) for a pro-level laptop.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Is there any compelling reason why an ultralight absolute must be flash storage only? iPod hard drives are quite small and light and still cost a lot less than flash. 20GB really isn't much. I'd say a bare minimum is 80GB, and new 100GB Toshiba drives have already been announced. Heck, the boot partition on both my laptop and desktop computers easily exceeds 20GB, and I keep all my data on other partitions. Best choice would be to have 1.8" HD storage with flash RAM to speed up some operations.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Is there any compelling reason why an ultralight absolute must be flash storage only? iPod hard drives are quite small and light and still cost a lot less than flash. 20GB really isn't much. I'd say a bare minimum is 80GB, and new 100GB Toshiba drives have already been announced. Heck, the boot partition on both my laptop and desktop computers easily exceeds 20GB, and I keep all my data on other partitions. Best choice would be to have 1.8" HD storage with flash RAM to speed up some operations.

I'd prefer no optical drive to a flash drive tbh, they'll be redundant when HDDVD/BluRay becomes standard anyways, for which an external drive can cope.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    I love how in this rumor, the specs are all more or less the same as a 15" model, except for the incredible battery life of 8 hours. I think his theory here is "If I repeat this for long enough, sooner or later it will come true, then I can say I was 2.5 years ahead of the curve."
  • Reply 20 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v View Post

I love how in this rumor, the specs are all more or less the same as a 15" model, except for the incredible battery life of 8 hours. I think his theory here is "If I repeat this for long enough, sooner or later it will come true, then I can say I was 2.5 years ahead of the curve."

My first thought as well.

"Wow! It's a MacBookPro, except, you know, smaller and with much better battery life! On account of the smallness!"