Can't "Import" mp3's to iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Long story short -
  • I have a big directory of various mp3's that I've had for a long time.

• They worked fine on my iPod(s) over the last couple of years (pc version of iTunes).

• I just switched to an iMac (from a pc).

• Now, some of the songs won't copy into iTunes.

• The Read/Write stuff looks all correct.

• I've tried renaming some of them, thinking maybe it didn't like the naming structure, but that didn't work either.

• I also tried it under iTunes in Parallels, but that didn't work either.

Here are a couple sample file names =

zz top - sharp dressed man.mp3

Sammy_Hagar_-_There's_Only_One_Way_To_Rock

This is really bugging me, because I'm missing a bunch of my songs.

By the way, I have no idea of the sources of any of my stuff. I've had them all for a long time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Anything in common like bit rate, MP3 encoder used, file size, etc. for the MP3s that won't play? Can I take it that some, if not most, of your MP3 files do play?

Having you tried directly dragging the stuff that isn't playing directly into the iTunes library track list?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Anything in common like bit rate, MP3 encoder used, file size, etc. for the MP3s that won't play? Can I take it that some, if not most, of your MP3 files do play?

Having you tried directly dragging the stuff that isn't playing directly into the iTunes library track list?

About 70% of them went into iTunes. Sorry, but I don't know much about bit rate. The file sizes appear normal.

Dragging them into iTunes is the only way that I tried. Is there another way?

This is bugging me because it worked before on my pc. But now that I'm on a iMac, it isn't working.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

About 70% of them went into iTunes. Sorry, but I don't know much about bit rate. The file sizes appear normal.

Well, anything you can think of that's common between the files that don't work and those that do might help. I'm not aware of any differences in MP3-playback capability between Windows iTunes and Mac iTunes, but that doesn't mean there might not be some differences. If these MP3s all play on your iPod, however, it's really odd they wouldn't play on your Mac.

By the way, are you using the term "MP3" in the most literal sense, a file in that specific encoding format, typically with a .mp3 file extention, or do you just mean "music file" in a broad sense?

Any patterns to what's dropped? Such as... does what doesn't play seem random, like 7 out of 10 songs in the same album will play, but three don't? Or do whole albums tend to drop out?

Quote:

Dragging them into iTunes is the only way that I tried. Is there another way?

No that I'm going to wipe out my whole iTunes library to verify what I vaguely remember, but I vaguely remember iTunes being able to automatically search for all of your music for you -- and I was wondering if that's all you'd done so far.

At any rate, there are many ways to drag the same song into iTunes... from dragging each and every file singly by itself to dragging in a folder with all of the songs in and album or a folder containing multiple album folders or a folder contain multiple artists folders containing multiple album folders, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Which ways have you tried? Do the songs which won't play appear in your iTunes library, but won't play back, or do they refuse to be added to the library in the first place? If you take an individual song that doesn't work for you, drag it into iTunes, how does iTunes respond? Does the green circle with a + sign appear, as if iTunes is happy to try to accept the song, or does iTunes not put up that green circle with a + sign, as if it's saying "I'm not interested in that"?

This is bugging me because it worked before on my pc. But now that I'm on a iMac, it isn't working.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 4 of 13
    They are all xxxxxxx.mp3 as the file names.

They all reside in a directory on a hard drive. Some of the files can be imported into iTunes, but not all of them. It's not that they won't play in iTunes. They won't even drag in, or import in. They green circle with the + appears, but they do not go anywhere.

Quote:

Well, anything you can think of that's common between the files that don't work and those that do might help. I'm not aware of any differences in MP3-playback capability between Windows iTunes and Mac iTunes, but that doesn't mean there might not be some differences. If these MP3s all play on your iPod, however, it's really odd they wouldn't play on your Mac.

By the way, are you using the term "MP3" in the most literal sense, a file in that specific encoding format, typically with a .mp3 file extention, or do you just mean "music file" in a broad sense?

Any patterns to what's dropped? Such as... does what doesn't play seem random, like 7 out of 10 songs in the same album will play, but three don't? Or do whole albums tend to drop out?

No that I'm going to wipe out my whole iTunes library to verify what I vaguely remember, but I vaguely remember iTunes being able to automatically search for all of your music for you -- and I was wondering if that's all you'd done so far.

At any rate, there are many ways to drag the same song into iTunes... from dragging each and every file singly by itself to dragging in a folder with all of the songs in and album or a folder containing multiple album folders or a folder contain multiple artists folders containing multiple album folders, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Which ways have you tried? Do the songs which won't play appear in your iTunes library, but won't play back, or do they refuse to be added to the library in the first place? If you take an individual song that doesn't work for you, drag it into iTunes, how does iTunes respond? Does the green circle with a + sign appear, as if iTunes is happy to try to accept the song, or does iTunes not put up that green circle with a + sign, as if it's saying "I'm not interested in that"?

This is bugging me because it worked before on my pc. But now that I'm on a iMac, it isn't working.

[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I find running problem mp3 files through VBRfix under Windows (couldn't get the Mac versions to work) helps most of the time when they can't be imported in to iTunes. You might give that a shot.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

I find running problem mp3 files through VBRfix under Windows (couldn't get the Mac versions to work) helps most of the time when they can't be imported in to iTunes. You might give that a shot.

I did a test using VBRFIX in Windows under Parallels. Both test files errored out. I wonder if the files themselves are simply corrupt. I hope not, but maybe that's the case.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Why not use ipodrip or some similar application to just take the files off the ipod. I know ipod rip works well and is able to recover a library during the trial period, if it's just that the files are corrupt.

Good luck
  • Reply 8 of 13
    How did you do the PC-to-Mac file transfer? Did you perhaps use something that accidentally treated your music files as if they were text files, like the text transfer mode of FTP, which can end up mangling binary data like MP3 files?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

How did you do the PC-to-Mac file transfer? Did you perhaps use something that accidentally treated your music files as if they were text files, like the text transfer mode of FTP, which can end up mangling binary data like MP3 files?

I wouldn't think so, since most of the files worked fine.

Here's exactly what I did:

I had a pc with iTunes/iPods and my songs worked fine.

I got ride of the pc - gone. I also got rid of the iPods.

Any mp3's that were sitting on my hard drive were burned to cd's as data with Nero.

(I should mention that I did NOT burn them from iTunes. They were just in a music directory on an external drive.)

I bought an iMac (and a MacBook too but that's not being used with iTunes).

I bought a 2G Nano (8gb) and a new 2G Shuffle.

I imported all my regular cds into iTunes.

I also have a few cd's with various mp3's (*.mp3) on them from over the years.

I drug most of them into a clean, fresh, new install of iTunes on my new iMac.

Some of them will give me the green circle with the plus sign in it when I drag them into iTunes, but they don't actually import.

I tried most all of the approaches that everyone has given me above this message, without good results.

I'm beginning to think that the mp3's that are on the cd's may have become corrupt during the burn process.

Thanks everyone for the help!

THIS SITE, AND THESE FORUMS ARE EXACTLY WHY I BOUGHT AN iMAC.

I knew where I could find help in my switchover to Mac stuff.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Not sure if this is at all possible, but could the file permissions be set incorrectly? Right click/get info on the file and see if they're somehow locked? Just a thought...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I wouldn't think so, since most of the files worked fine.

Here's exactly what I did:

I had a pc with iTunes/iPods and my songs worked fine.

I got ride of the pc - gone. I also got rid of the iPods.

Any mp3's that were sitting on my hard drive were burned to cd's as data with Nero.

(I should mention that I did NOT burn them from iTunes. They were just in a music directory on an external drive.)

I knew where I could find help in my switchover to Mac stuff.

woops, I misunderstoond, sorry about that...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

Not sure if this is at all possible, but could the file permissions be set incorrectly? Right click/get info on the file and see if they're somehow locked? Just a thought...

I checked that too. They look fine.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    i think I found the problem. I went back and found other backups of my music. I simply drug them into iTunes, and they worked fine.

My somewhat obvious conclusion - the dvd's that I was using, must be partially corrupt.