First Post! Should i buy now or wait for leopard

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello everyone. Curious about whether or not i should buy a macbook with os x tiger now or wait. This will be my first mac and i'm looking forward to making the switch, but don't want to buy and then not have the latest os when its shipping in a few months.... Does Apple have an upgrade program like Microsoft so that you can receive a voucher for a free upgrade?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'd wait until after Macworld, which is only about 2 weeks away. Most feel that Apple will announce a release date for leopard at this event. They are also likely to release new hardware or update existing hardware although the Macbook may not see any changes. I wouldn't let leopard's release date entirely determine your decision of when to purchase your Mac. Tiger is very good and Leopard won't be a $400 upgrade like vista is on the windows side.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newmac2380 View Post

Hello everyone. Curious about whether or not i should buy a macbook with os x tiger now or wait. This will be my first mac and i'm looking forward to making the switch, but don't want to buy and then not have the latest os when its shipping in a few months.... Does Apple have an upgrade program like Microsoft so that you can receive a voucher for a free upgrade?

Thanks

Ask that same question here on the 10th of Jan.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    100mph100mph Posts: 256member
    Since this is your first Mac, you may want to borrow one and use it for a few days.

I just got my MacBook, and so far:

1. Hardware is great. Just keep it clean, dust free and on hard services.

2. Software:

a. Right out of the box is ready to use, even if you never worked on Macs before.

b. All basic apps are on.

c. Strictly speaking: Mac os is polished, simplified and overhipped Linux.

BUT, for average user, MB is a perfect feat.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Ummm, considering you've been using it for a few days, maybe it's not as "overhipped" as you "fink."
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Guys the word is 'overhyped'.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Really?!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

Really?!

Yeah,
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Curious about whether or not i should buy a macbook with os x tiger now or wait. This will be my first mac and i'm looking forward to making the switch, but don't want to buy and then not have the latest os when its shipping in a few months

Oh my young friend, never count on software being released on its "announced" date. (Take it from someone involved in software manufacturing for 20+ years). There is sooo much to learn on 10.4. Going to 10.5 will be much easier on you after 10.4. (A $100 upgrade to 10.5 is insignificant compared to the amount of time you will be playing with it.)

However, timing is everything when it comes to HARDWARE. You might want to wait and see what happens at the EXPO before making any hardware purchasing decisions.