VMWare, Parallels release new virtualization betas for Mac

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cool11 View Post

which <virtualisation product> seems to have more features and work better?

I'm not sure which works better. VMWare is still in beta anyway.

As far as features go... they seem very similar. The only differences I know of are

1) VMWare allows you to use multiple cores (parallels only uses 1!)

2) Parallels allows you to have a single interface combining Windows & OSX.

3) Parallels lets you use the same Windows install for Bootcamp and virtualisation.

I'd like to know whether either is better for tasks like

- sharing a bluetooth modem connection.

- printing from Windows using OSX printers (ie: not separately configured)

- integrating Windows mail with OSX mail (I do this with IMAP now... good as long as I'm online).
  • Reply 42 of 55
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Same here. I was just testing it out and have since deleted it since I use Bootcamp'd Windows. It seemed to be slower than Parallels but OS X seemed to run better when switching between the VM. Parallels was quite choppy doing this.

That's odd. My Parallels works just fine. I deleted Boot Camp because I didn't really need to boot out to use the one Windows program that I use.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

All my mother has to run in Windows is MS-Money & ACT. But neither is listed as working on the Parallels website.

They should work just fine. Apps typically work, unless they require some special hardware, or 3D graphics acceleration.

Quote:

Wordperfect (I think) had an interesting use for WINE. They used it in their source code so they could have a wordperfect-for-Linux version using their Windows code. I'd like Apple to do something similar - help Windows developers port their Win32 code to Xcode by integrating WINE into Xcode. That'd be kinda interesting.

It would also be awful, just like Corel's Linux "ports" were awful. If you're going to throw junk like that at people, you shouldn't be surprised if the responses are equally demeaning.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    How much ram do you guys have?

I have 3 GB and can run Parallels and Fusion at the same time with both set on 256 MB ram a piece.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

How much ram do you guys have?

I have 3 GB and can run Parallels and Fusion at the same time with both set on 256 MB ram a piece.

I just have 1GB on my C2D 20" iMac. My CD MacBook only has 512MB, but I really don't use any virtualization software on that one, yet. Maybe I need 2GB in my iMac?
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

They should work just fine. Apps typically work, unless they require some special hardware, or 3D graphics acceleration.

Sorry, I was responding about WINE and said parallels instead. oops.

I meant that MS Money & ACT aren't listed as running on the WINE website.

In fact, MS Money, ACT, MS Office all work fine in Parallels. The only problem my mother has is the same one my father has with VirtualPC on his Powerbook. The problem is that when Windows is stuffing up I tell her to restart Windows. What she DOES is she closes parallels and restarts the Mac - but she never actually restarts Windows (since Parallels just suspends the virtual machine).
  • Reply 47 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Someone asked this at the start of the thread and didn't get an clear answer. I suspect I know the answer but just checking.

If Parallels is up and running but no Boot Camp, can the two be linked now, i.e. install Boot Camp and use existing Parallel's area. The answer that was given assumed Boot Camp came first not Parallels. I can see how a new Parallels installation can simply be pointed to Boot Camp's Windows area but I think the questioner and certainly this is my question, what about installing Boot Camp and pointing it to use the current Parallel's installation? I don't see this working.

I wonder if a Boot Camp area can be set up and somehow the current Parallel's data can be moved there using Finder and then Parallel's set up as if new to utilize this data? I am just hoping to find a way to avoid hours of updating Windows again after initial installation.

In the old VPC days it was amazing how much you could manipulate via Finder, right down to dragging in pre installed Windows applications from a Finder copy on a Mac drive into Windows. Once dragged in to the VPC area (the correct directory obviously) they usually only requiring a 'Repair' on running, saving hours of installing from Windows application disks and subsequent required updates. MS Office was a good example. I could have it up and running in Windows in minutes in a new VPC set up using the Finder .

Talking of backing up ... I have been continuing to clone my entire drive weekly using SuperDuper and I assume the Parallel's installation goes with it OK. The folks at SuperDuper tell me they make no claim about being able to back up a Boot Camp area. I have to test a clone I have made and see if the Parallel's area is OK, I have assumed it is but not actually tested it.

If Parallel's is cloned OK then it may be one reason not to use the Boot Camp set up if the native Windows boot is not a requirement. It isn't for me, no gaming just the need for IE on dumb Realtor MLS web sites that use Active X all the bloody time.

The latest Parallel's ability to hide Windows and have IE in the Mac's dock is truly great. It has removed my wife's (she is the Realtor needing IE) confusions about having two OSs on her MacBook, now it as if she only has one, the good one .

One tip for anyone using Parallels, install Apple's PC version of Bonjour in the Windows area and then printing to any printer attached to a Mac on your network is truly Mac like (i.e. it works). No need to fight with the Windows side at all. Oh yes one last tip ... I have installed Apple's Desktop remote and I can look after the wife's MacBook anytime she has a user problem from my G5 and on my large displays, ADR rocks! Parallels is controllable remotely too including copy and paste.

Merry Christmas one and all
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djpadz View Post

Depends on what you're doing. If you're looking to run Windows, because you need to run some application or another for work, then I think that Parallels, especially with Coherence, makes a very compelling case. If you're looking for a breadth of OS support, especially in the UNIX realm, like Solaris x86, then I might be a bit more compelled toward VMWare, only because of the target markets for each.

IMHO, Parallels is geared more toward desktop users, generally running Windows, but perhaps running one variant of Linux or another. VMWare is more of a "kitchen sink" solution, doing everything reasonably well, but not really exceling in any one area.

Also, VMWare tends to be more popular as an enterprise solution, so there can be some benefits to being able to easily (I know, there are tools that allow conversion, but it's still an extra step) move VMs between environments.

I haven't installed the VMWare product on my own Mac yet, although I have been running it under Linux for some time. IMHO, VMWare's disk I/O can be a bit sluggish, but having not installed it on a Mac yet, I can't really do any kind of side-by-side comparison.

Not a silly question, but, fortunately, the answer is that for which you'd hoped. In either application, upgrading generally involves two steps:
    1. Upgrade the application itself. This is generally a matter of just running the installer.

2. Upgrade the OS-specific tools on the guest OS. Under Windows, this is just a matter of selecting "Install tools" (or something like that) from the application menu. That will mount the CD Image that has the tools, and run the installer. The whole process takes about a minute, plus a reboot.

Any upgrades that will need to be done to your guest OS images will be done automatically. You will not need to re-install anything in the guest OS. It is important however, that when upgrading a VM application like Parallels or VMWare that you read the release notes for the specific upgrade steps for that version! A lot of problems can be caused if you don't follow those directions exactly, as some people who are running Parallels with their Boot Camp partitions have found.

In short, product upgrades are very easy, regardless of whether you're running VMWare or Parallels.

Having said all of that, I installed Beta 2 of Parallels yesterday, once their website came back up, and it's not bad, but it is a little less stable than Beta 1. It's crashed a couple of times on me so far. Being able to run command windows in Coherence mode is nice, but I'm finding that there are still a few instances where I have to run in a window, in order to see certain things. The most annoying is PuTTY's session window. The terminal window works fine, but the session window seems to suffer the same issue as command windows did in Beta 1.

If your need for Parallels is critical, then I might hold off from installing Beta 2, unless the new feature set looks really compelling. If, however, you can live with an occasional crash here or there, it's certainly useable.

Thanks for your response.

I did not understood the step 2. 'Upgrade the OS-specific tools on the guest OS...'

How can you do it? Is it an option in parallels or something else?
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Someone asked this at the start of the thread and didn't get an clear answer. I suspect I know the answer but just checking.

If Parallels is up and running but no Boot Camp, can the two be linked now, i.e. install Boot Camp and use existing Parallel's area. The answer that was given assumed Boot Camp came first not Parallels. I can see how a new Parallels installation can simply be pointed to Boot Camp's Windows area but I think the questioner and certainly this is my question, what about installing Boot Camp and pointing it to use the current Parallel's installation? I don't see this working.

I wonder if a Boot Camp area can be set up and somehow the current Parallel's data can be moved there using Finder and then Parallel's set up as if new to utilize this data? I am just hoping to find a way to avoid hours of updating Windows again after initial installation.

In the old VPC days it was amazing how much you could manipulate via Finder, right down to dragging in pre installed Windows applications from a Finder copy on a Mac drive into Windows. Once dragged in to the VPC area (the correct directory obviously) they usually only requiring a 'Repair' on running, saving hours of installing from Windows application disks and subsequent required updates. MS Office was a good example. I could have it up and running in Windows in minutes in a new VPC set up using the Finder .

Talking of backing up ... I have been continuing to clone my entire drive weekly using SuperDuper and I assume the Parallel's installation goes with it OK. The folks at SuperDuper tell me they make no claim about being able to back up a Boot Camp area. I have to test a clone I have made and see if the Parallel's area is OK, I have assumed it is but not actually tested it.

If Parallel's is cloned OK then it may be one reason not to use the Boot Camp set up if the native Windows boot is not a requirement. It isn't for me, no gaming just the need for IE on dumb Realtor MLS web sites that use Active X all the bloody time.

The latest Parallel's ability to hide Windows and have IE in the Mac's dock is truly great. It has removed my wife's (she is the Realtor needing IE) confusions about having two OSs on her MacBook, now it as if she only has one, the good one .

One tip for anyone using Parallels, install Apple's PC version of Bonjour in the Windows area and then printing to any printer attached to a Mac on your network is truly Mac like (i.e. it works). No need to fight with the Windows side at all. Oh yes one last tip ... I have installed Apple's Desktop remote and I can look after the wife's MacBook anytime she has a user problem from my G5 and on my large displays, ADR rocks! Parallels is controllable remotely too including copy and paste.

Merry Christmas one and all

It would be very useful to know if super duper takes backup even for all parallels data.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Am I the only one that likes bootcamp? I like keeping windows and osx completely separate, accessed only when I want. Maybe if you develop webpages or programs or something you might like it, but I personally am 100% satisfied with the bootcamp way of doing things.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Yeah with MS Virtual PC on Mac it was "easy" to just see the virtual machines as files in the Finder, just back up that and all is good. Super Duper and all that take it well.

I have no experience with Parallels so I don't know if you see the entire virtual machine image as a Single File??
  • Reply 52 of 55
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Am I the only one that likes bootcamp? I like keeping windows and osx completely separate, accessed only when I want. Maybe if you develop webpages or programs or something you might like it, but I personally am 100% satisfied with the bootcamp way of doing things.

I only like bootcamp for playing games. When/if i can ever have complete access and performance of the video card through parallels, Id much rather do that. I'm not sure why you would rather only do one OS at a time, unless you dont like to multitask. I perfer having 10 - 15 things going at once.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cool11 View Post

It would be very useful to know if super duper takes backup even for all parallels data.

Yes, the virtual image of XP inside your Mac but not on the bootcamp partition. I assume you could have SuperDuper clone the other partition but I have never done that since the only bootcamp partition is on my MBP. I don't do backups of my notebooks since they operate totally off the iDisk or use network file access.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    ..I'm using a MBP with 1G of ram, and the program is sloooow to load,, slow when using Windows XP, slow when shutting XP down.\
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

..I'm using a MBP with 1G of ram, and the program is sloooow to load,, slow when using Windows XP, slow when shutting XP down.\

My bootup times in Parallels is roughly 7 seconds. Shutdown is another story with the latest Beta. Sometimes, it never makes it.