What can I use to open a .rar file?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was given a file from my mate and it is a .rar file... I have no idea what to do with this sort of file.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

I was given a file from my mate and it is a .rar file... I have no idea what to do with this sort of file.

Thanks.

I use Stuffit Expander which I believe can handle .rar files. I keep it around as the utility that will Unzip anything I throw at it.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I have found stuffit expander to cause corruption when expanding rar files and as a result I use an open source and free app Unrar X 2.2 which does a much better job.

8)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I've used this. Worked OK.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    I use Unarchiver, a replacement for the builtin zip unarchiver in Mac OS X. It supports rar, among other formats, and works like a charm
  • Reply 5 of 9
    zipegzipeg Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Token View Post

I use Unarchiver, a replacement for the builtin zip unarchiver in Mac OS X. It supports rar, among other formats, and works like a charm

try http://www.zipeg.com. It is free, similar to Unarchiver but also supports multipart and password protected RAR/ZIP files. Enjoy
  • Reply 6 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I third RAR Expander
  • Reply 7 of 9
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    I personally wouldn't use stuffit expander as it has a nasty habit of corrupting rar files.

Unrar X 2.2 is open source and free and is the best small app for the job has never failed me yet and handles password protected rar files as well.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryant0832 View Post

winrar...can help u guys

Not guys who are Mac users, it can't. WinRAR is a Windows utility. Mac users need one of the RAR expanders available on the platform.