Network Storage Advice Needed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking for a good solution for storing files on my home network. It'll be used as a backup.

I'd like these features:
  • Use my own ide hard drive (I have extras sitting around)

• hard drive will power down when not in use (to save hard drive life)

• wired network (will sit next to my router)

• does NOT need to be attached to a pc (via usb or firewire)

I am looking at this one on eBay -

http://tinyurl.com/t5llo

What do you folks think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I'd ask a question to double-check that it does spin down on inactivity.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    As nice as it is to be able to use older hard drives, a single bay enclosure will limit you. Older drives tend to be smaller in size and will fill up very fast. You might want to consider a combo or multi enclosure unit.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

As nice as it is to be able to use older hard drives, a single bay enclosure will limit you. Older drives tend to be smaller in size and will fill up very fast. You might want to consider a combo or multi enclosure unit.

It's just for backing up my photos and misc stuff. I have a 250GB usb drive attached already. I just will use another to back that one up. It would also be handy if I could access it via the Internet, but that's really not a necessity for me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I have a SimpleShare Network 10/100 ethernet HDD I use. You can plug external drives into it via the USB 2.0 ports on it so you could just use regular enclosures to plug into it. The down side is that is cost more than what you pointed too. The upside is you can password it and control user access and it set's up in seconds unless you just want it wide open and then no config neccessary.

I leave my HDD's spinning 24/7 and never let them shut down. I thought it was accepted that spining up and down fatigues the drive and shortens the life cyle of an HDD?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I leave my HDD's spinning 24/7 and never let them shut down. I thought it was accepted that spining up and down fatigues the drive and shortens the life cyle of an HDD?

That's likely true, but I'm not certain. It sounds reasonable though.