Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Thought I'd get a jump on the new year. The 2006 topic had gotten way too big anyway.

The battle continues, although it will probably be moot sometime in 2007 when Apple starts putting Blu-ray drives in Mac Pros.

Allez cuisine!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Thought I'd get a jump on the new year. The 2006 topic had gotten way too big anyway.

The battle continues, although it will probably be moot sometime in 2007 when Apple starts putting Blu-ray drives in Mac Pros.

Allez cuisine!

Dammit, I wanted to start this thread, but you jumped the gun.
  • Reply 2 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Too slow, old man. You snooze, you lose!
  • Reply 3 of 4650
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Weak. Both or you.
  • Reply 4 of 4650
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Blu-Ray all the way, HD is so ney!
  • Reply 5 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The assumption that Apple prefers Blu-ray over HD DVD is laughable.

Neither format will be standard items in 2007 is my guess.
  • Reply 6 of 4650
    Yes, that must be why Apple is one of the founding members and on the board of directors for the Blu-ray Disc Association. Companies always join organizations for products they don't favor. Meanwhile, I don't remember seeing Apple's name mentioned anywhere at the HD DVD Promotion Group.

Note that nobody said Blu-ray would be "standard." But I can pretty much guarantee you Apple will offer Blu-ray drives as a BTO option on the Mac Pro in 2007, and long before they offer HD DVD drives, if they ever do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

Weak. Both or you.

Maybe. But at least we know how to spell.
  • Reply 7 of 4650
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    What is laughable is that we're not in 2007 and you guys wanted to start a thread early to pimp yourselves.
  • Reply 8 of 4650
    No, what is laughable is somebody reading and posting to a thread repeatedly just to knock on it.
  • Reply 9 of 4650
    Quote:

Note that nobody said Blu-ray would be "standard." But I can pretty much guarantee you Apple will offer Blu-ray drives as a BTO option on the Mac Pro in 2007, and long before they offer HD DVD drives, if they ever do..

Interestingly enough, DVD Studio Pro supports HD-DVD but not Blu-Ray. I think that Apple, once they offer one as BTO, will offer both.

BTW, why did we start another thread? We have one, that is about the same thing as this one is going to be about. So why split the effort? Now I need to check two threads, and post in both, rather than have one focused thread. If it is because of the "date" on the other thread, I propose locking this thread, and removing the date from the title of the other. I think one focused thread makes more sense than two identical subjected threads.
  • Reply 10 of 4650
    Quote:

Yes, that must be why Apple is one of the founding members and on the board of directors for the Blu-ray Disc Association. Companies always join organizations for products they don't favor. Meanwhile, I don't remember seeing Apple's name mentioned anywhere at the HD DVD Promotion Group.

Note that nobody said Blu-ray would be "standard." But I can pretty much guarantee you Apple will offer Blu-ray drives as a BTO option on the Mac Pro in 2007, and long before they offer HD DVD drives, if they ever do.

Maybe. But at least we know how to spell.

You can't guarantee me anything. Nothing points to Apple favoring Blu-ray over HD DVD. HP is also on the Board of Directors and they haven't shipped one blu-ray item.

I'm tired of having to school you rookies. Guess I'll have to do it again in 2007

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/general_i...009/Index.html

Board of Directors

Apple- Neutral. HD DVD in DVD Studio Pro 4 and have stated they support both

Dell- Sells a Blu-ray laptop

HP- Sells HD DVD desktops and Laptops

Hitachi- Blu-ray..no products yet

LG- states they are Blu-ray but have gone back and forth with Combos and HD DVD.

Mitsubishi Electric- Blu-ray ...no products

Panasonic- Blu-ray producsts shipping

Pioneer- Blu-ray products shipping

Philips- Blu-ray products shipping

Samsung- Blu-ray products shipping

Sharp- Blu-ray

Sony- Blu-ray- products shipping

Sun Microsystems- Blu-ray

TDK- Blu-ray ...favors hyping vapor

Thomson- RCA division sells HD DVD. No Blu-ray products shipping

Twentieth Century Fox- Blu-ray products shipping

Walt Disney- Blu-ray products shipping

Warner Bros. Neutral

Clearly you can see that being a member of the Blu-ray Disc Board of Directors does NOT mean you will not support HD DVD nor does it even mean you favor Blu-ray.

As for Apple clearly they will support both formats. They state so in a Press Release a month after announcing that they've joined the BD BoD. So clearly they wanted to set things straight. Apple makes authoring tools for video professionals. There is no current winner in the HD sweepstakes thus Apple will support both platforms until there is a clear winner and even then they will likely still keep support for both for some time. There is absolutely no reason Apple would align exclusively with Blu-ray. Nada. They want to sell tools to the whole market

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/17hd.html

Quote:

Apple is committed to both emerging high definition DVD standards?Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. Apple is an active member of the DVD Forum which developed the HD DVD standard, and last month joined the Board of Directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association.

How freakin clear can they make it? I really don't understand how someone could be so freakin' blind that they ignore all evidence that exists because it doesn't meet their own ideals of how things should go.

Apple is as neutral as they come.
  • Reply 11 of 4650
    Isn't all of this going to be a moot issue now that hybrid players are right around the corner and hybrid player/burners are sure to come out in '07
  • Reply 12 of 4650

Are there any HD-DVD internal burners on the market today? I can't seem to find any. There must be some as I can see HD-DVD media (at about 3X the price point per GB versus Blu-Ray media (but please correct me if I'm totally offbase)).

SL 16X DVD-R media at $0.05/GB versus SL 2X Blu-Ray media at $0.50/GB (i. e. 10X the price point)?

18X DVD burner at ~$30 versus 2X Blu-Ray burner at ~$700 (i. e. 20X the price point).

Any yes, I know each type of drive R/W at different speeds, so do your conversions!

SL media will be the price point to shoot for as DVD-R (or DVD+R) SL has shown, so it's 15GB HD-DVD versus 25GB Blu-Ray.

Will either gain significant marketshare this year? Above a few percentage points? If I had to take a SWAG today, I'd say NO!

I await the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2008 ) thread, followed by the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2009) thread, followed by the ...., perhaps by the 2014 thread we will know, seeing as it took DVD 8 years to get to it's current position (and that's with no format war and no other compelling low cost reasonably high capacity storage solution (which is what SL DVD-R/DVD+R burners/media offers today), which didn't exist when DVD burners first came out).

If you can see where I'm coming from, perhaps whomever wins the HD burner war in 2007 wins the HD format war? IMHO, right now Blu-Ray seems to be in a good position to win the 2007 HD burner war.

• Reply 13 of 4650
    What will happen to the other (HD-DVD) format assuming if Apple choose one (Blu-Ray)?

Studios favouring who?

this topic interesting it is out of my scope to understand everything going on now ...
  • Reply 14 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post

Isn't all of this going to be a moot issue now that hybrid players are right around the corner and hybrid player/burners are sure to come out in '07

Pretty much. An affordable Universal player would pretty much become the standard for audio and videophiles. I'd love to see a BD/HDDVD/SACD/DVDA player. That would be the King of my source units and I'd pay a pretty penny for a solid unit.

CES 2007 is going to be nice.

The HD DVD group will be announcing plans for 2007 on January 7th whilst the BDA will be announcing on January 8th.
  • Reply 15 of 4650
    I just wish they'd leapfrog these idiotic formats in favor of the long-promised holographic card storage... y'know, for the kids.
  • Reply 16 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

BTW, why did we start another thread? We have one, that is about the same thing as this one is going to be about. So why split the effort? Now I need to check two threads, and post in both, rather than have one focused thread. If it is because of the "date" on the other thread, I propose locking this thread, and removing the date from the title of the other. I think one focused thread makes more sense than two identical subjected threads.

Actually, you "need" to check three if you're that anal retentive. The 2006 thread took over from an older thread from 2005, hence the "(2006)" to distinguish it from the earlier thread. Why didn't you complain about that when it was started? Nobody HAS to check this thread. Nobody's forcing you to read it or post to it. By the same token, nobody HAS to stay in the old thread, either. In case you hadn't noticed, the 2006 thread is now on page 51. Not exactly easy to navigate anymore.

Quote:

If the DVD Forum was so all-inclusive of everyone who supports HD DVD, they why do they need the HD DVD Promotion Group and why do they push it so hard by listing which companies are members (a distinctly small number compared to the DVD Forum)? You point out HP puts out HD DVD, but they're part of the Promotion Group, too. Apple isn't. Explain to me why they joined one but not the other if they wholeheartedly support both. You point out RCA sells HD DVD players, however, Thomson does not under its own brand name in Europe. RCA has to hedge because they're not a big player in consumer electronics anymore. And little wonder -- their big, boxy, clunky early-1980s-style HD DVD player isn't exactly a marvel of industrial design. There's retro, and then there's hastily slapped together without much thought. Does that really give anyone the impression that they're confident enough to put a lot of resources into HD DVD?

Are universal players "just around the corner" in 2007? Last I heard in November, player manufacturers weren't flocking to NEC's universal chipset.
  • Reply 17 of 4650
    Quote:

...Are universal players "just around the corner" in 2007? Last I heard in November, player manufacturers weren't flocking to NEC's universal chipset.

November is a little soon to expect everyone flock to NEC's univ. chip when it went on sale in late October. Since that time Broadcom has also announced a universal chipset and Ricoh has announced a laser that will adjust to whatever format it reads.

As for just around the corner, Samsung says their universal player will ship in early 2007 and Nec, Toshiba, and Sony have already announced plans to manufacture universal players as well.

I'm not saying we're going to wake up tomorrow and universal players will be on sale at Walmart for $39, but I think this Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD bickering is somewhat pointless when the universal players WILL be out in the mainstream market before a clear format winner is even close to being decided on.
  • Reply 18 of 4650
    Quote:

If the DVD Forum was so all-inclusive of everyone who supports HD DVD, they why do they need the HD DVD Promotion Group and why do they push it so hard by listing which companies are members (a distinctly small number compared to the DVD Forum)? You point out HP puts out HD DVD, but they're part of the Promotion Group, too. Apple isn't. Explain to me why they joined one but not the other if they wholeheartedly support both. You point out RCA sells HD DVD players, however, Thomson does not under its own brand name in Europe. RCA has to hedge because they're not a big player in consumer electronics anymore. And little wonder -- their big, boxy, clunky early-1980s-style HD DVD player isn't exactly a marvel of industrial design. There's retro, and then there's hastily slapped together without much thought. Does that really give anyone the impression that they're confident enough to put a lot of resources into HD DVD?

Are universal players "just around the corner" in 2007? Last I heard in November, player manufacturers weren't flocking to NEC's universal chipset.

Apple already had enough information to add rudimentary HD DVD support to DVD SP4. They don't have to join every group out there to utilize the product. Fact is DVD Player 4.6.x supports the MPEG2 15GB HD DVD profile that SP4 creates. You can try and take this down an illogical bunny trail all you want but the burden of proof is YOURS to prove that somehow Apple favors Blu-ray over HD DVD. To date they've shipped NO products that contain BDA technology whether it be hardware of software.

NEC isn't the player in Universal LSI it's Broadcom with the BCM7440. They've already had design wins according to Tom McMahon from the company. The only impression i'm getting is that your knowledge of what's going on is as clunky as the RCA HD DVD boxes.
  • Reply 19 of 4650
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    HD-DVD looks like a stronger product when it comes to the home theater space, if only because the VC-1 (WMV3) codec they use to encode the movies is far superior to MPEG2, which Blu-Ray is currently stuck on. Get with it, BD.
  • Reply 20 of 4650
    http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/top.cfm?db=dvd

12/27 1:42 PST

Blu-ray has 3 titles in the Top 20 of Amazon's top sellers list. The remaining 17 are all of course HD DVD titles. Supposedly there's a million Playstation 3 worldwide. So ask yourself...why does Blu-ray continue to get stomped?

If Disney was onboard this battle would be over.