iChat goes Windows?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
iTunes went windows for the iPod. I believe Apple will make a Windows version iChat for the iPhone.

Edit typo in poll options; thier = their, whatever.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    That would be good. I think the present situation is silly.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aulton View Post

That would be good. I think the present situation is silly.

This makes a lot of sense to me. iTunes for Windows was created to open up the iPod to all Windows users. iChat for Windows could do the same thing.

I also think that we might see .Mac improve so that some Windows users would purchase it just so they could sync their phones with the Internet. Syncing would include address book, contacts, calendar, bookmarks (assuming the phone will let you access the web), e-mail, photos (take a picture and it automatically/manually get published on your site .Mac site), etc. All these .Mac applications would allow you to edit your information on the phone and also on the web (iCal definitely need to be editable on the web) so Windows users would gain utility from it.

With such tight integration with the phone more Windows users might see the Apple advantage using their phones and ultimately buy a Mac. This seems to fall right in line with their current strategy of the iPod and iTunes.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I think ichat yes for windows.

But .mac will remain for mac users as will iLife.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Yes absolutely. Hopefully we'll see closer integration other apps because it'll need to access/file SMS; access Address Book and be able to write in and read from the iLife media browser. Question is will iTunes or iChat load the photos/AAC files on to the phone?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I doubt it.

iChat on a Phone, and on computers would not be an identical product even if it were on a Phone. It's also a free app so there is no incentive for Apple provide for another OS. I don't see the stand alone iChat on a PC ever because there is no real demand for it. They have similar things already.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

It's also a free app so there is no incentive for Apple provide for another OS.

Err what? Are you Temporarily Insane(TM)? Providing iTunes for Windows has sold tens of millions of iPods for Apple. Windows already had WMP, WinAMP etc etc etc but by providing close software/hardware integration made a far better solution.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Err what? Are you Temporarily Insane(TM)? Providing iTunes for Windows has sold tens of millions of iPods for Apple. Windows already had WMP, WinAMP etc etc etc but by providing close software/hardware integration made a far better solution.

Providing iTunes for windows sold songs, the iPod incentive for windows users was the biggest, and fastest, and virtually only (at the time) online digital music library in existance.

iChat does not have anything remotely close to offer windows users that they don't already have, and have a better version of it. I don't think it's in the Apple plan. Video Phone isn't even that popular. I've never even seen anyone use it. Not where I am anyway, and everyone has a mobile.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    *falls over laughing*

First off, what does iChat AV provide to a Phone?

Second, what is iChat AV?

Third, does a phone need to sync with ANY Instant Messenger?

OK enough waiting for the answers.

1. Nothing

2. A Custom AIM client originally, also supports Bonjour Networking and Jabber now.

3. No, the single most important piece of software for any Phone is it's Address Book. The second most useful piece of software is it's calendar, but it's not as important as an Address Book would be. The 3rd most likely piece of software for a phone these days seems to be a media player.

All IM contact syncing is pretty much done Server Side. I can sign into AIM right now on my phone and all of my contacts in AIM would be there. .Mac in iChat AV also uses the AIM protocol, known as OSCAR. I could see iChat on the phone but definitly not on the PC because it would not be needed for anything at all, all possible syncing would be done Server Side.

Currently Windows has an Address Book, Vista will have a Calendar Application, in fact there are several alternatives for Mac OS X software that Apple could use. I believe the iPod syncs with Outlook and Outlook Express for the Calendar and Address Book Features. Well Outlook for the Calendars anyways. Oh, and a Photo Application we can't forget that. Currently the iPod can just sync with the "My Pictures" folder and will likely support Photo Story in Vista as well. Hell it will likely use the Windows Calendar for Calendar Syncs now when they update it.

So why would an iPhone need iChat AV? One App to sync it all. iChat AV is an Audio/Video Instant Messenger, based off of the OSCAR protocol with Bonjour and Jabber thrown in for good measure. If Apple builds iChat AV into a Phone, ALL syncing for those would be server side. An iPhone would never even need to touch iChat AV on the Mac. When you sync it with iSync/Sync Center (Leopard I think, gives iSync a new name) it will Sync Address Book and iCal most likely. For Photos, it will use iPhoto, and for Music (doubt it would need Video, but if it were to support it then Video too) you would use iTunes.

Sebastian
  • Reply 9 of 20
    It wouldn't be a bad idea. Win to Mac, Mac to iPhone and Win to iPhone, and visa versa
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post

It wouldn't be a bad idea. Win to Mac, Mac to iPhone and Win to iPhone, and visa versa

Except for the fact that iChat is just a Custom AIM client that has the additions of Bonjour and Jabber.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Except for the fact that iChat is just a Custom AIM client that has the additions of Bonjour and Jabber.

The windows version might be a little different :/
  • Reply 12 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

*falls over laughing*

First off, what does iChat AV provide to a Phone?

Second, what is iChat AV?

..Huh?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

..Huh?

If there is an iPhone, let's hope Apple dosn't try to mate it with iTunes and iTunes only. I REALLY don't think they would make iChat for windows.

MAYBE iCal, but really, Vista Calendar and iCal are not much different.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

If there is an iPhone, let's hope Apple dosn't try to mate it with iTunes and iTunes only. I REALLY don't think they would make iChat for windows.

There going to mate it with iTunes weather you like it or not. And, why the heck would Apple make iCal for windows? Makes no sense at all.....
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post

The windows version might be a little different :/

Why???
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

..Huh?

Read the rest of my post
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

iChat will not be made for Windows because they have no reason to make it for Windows. iCal... how did you come up with iCal? The only time Apple would need to add software to Windows is to fill in the gaps for software that simply doesn't exist on the PC side. Example, iTunes, the only software that does sync with the iPod (well, supposedly, I believe Linux users have found a way around it) and plays iTunes store music.

Sebastian
  • Reply 18 of 20
    The question is what would iChat be used for on the perverbial iPhone? If it can offer a compelling enough of a reason to use it on the phone, and this was a big selling point, and Apple needed speciall software on the PC side to take advantage of it then they would probably make it. I don't know that there is a reason to do so, the phone is for calling people and in making an iPhone you are giving the consumer the way to do that without the need for the AIM client.

Of course short of a smart phone I really can't see much that Apple can bring to the mobile phone market. For a smart phone to succeed you need a good OS, a small number of compelling programs that offer value over the other options on the market, and a development kit that will allow 3rd party companies to easily build and deploy programs to consumers that add value to your product. The last point is the reason that DOS held on as long as it did, and was vital to the early success of the PALM OS.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Apple can bring plenty to the Phone side (if they can just eliminate the current Model with Carriers in the US attempting to control every single detail, that would be more then enough for me) including a Smartphone MADE (though it will work with PCs, or even without any computer at all) for the Mac. Palm, as far as I can tell, is pretty much dead in the Mobile OS market. I'm not too fond of Symbian and Linux either, Windows Mobile is self explanatory.

Apple has a good Platform infrastructure building up, but it's still in the middle of Construction. If Apple leverages it correctly, then they can be a very dangerous competitor in the marketplace.

Sebastian

PS: If ANYONE, I don't care if it's Apple or not, can do the following 3 things and is currently not losing it's market, then I wouldn't care if it was Apple iPhone or Microsoft S***phone
    1. Break the current US market and make it more like the European and/or Asian market

2. Make a phone that has good Software, works, and gives Macs equal treatment

3. Provides good Tools for developing for it to tie into other Software and/or Services (that also play nice with the Mac)

Sebastian
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I don?t think that iChat will be ported. With all the fancy UI effects and new features such as live background images and Photo Booth effects, wouldn?t this run crazily slow on a Windows machine? CoverFlow in iTunes 7 runs terribly on my Windows machine with 256MB graphics RAM, but runs flawlessly on my MacBook with 64MB graphics RAM and integrated Intel graphics. It?s because of the Core Image optimisations, Quartz, etc. that it runs so smoothly. Currently, there is no equivalent on Windows. I think something similar is coming in Vista though, Windows Presentation Foundation or something, so maybe I'll be proven wrong.