Does a mac ever crash or is that a pc thing?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 100mph View Post

Don't know … I am new to Mac.

Tonight will be searching for information on how to strip down unneeded services (if any) and 'genie effects'.

System preferences>Dock (change genie effect to scale).

System preferences>Appearence

There are tons of third party programs to modify Aqua. Google it.

http://www.almaer.com/blog/archives/001229.html

In the two plus years running OS X, the system has frozen on me only once. If it were not for the need to restart after updates, my uptime would be close to two years.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    I'm a recent convert to Mac, but I've been using Windows in one form or another since 3.0, and in my experience Windows 2000 Pro is the most stable operating system the folks at Gates & Co. have ever managed to produce. Something is definitely wrong with the driver you're using. You need to go into Device Manager and see if there's a conflict with the driver you're trying to install. Even if you're going to give this box to the kids, I would see if I couldn't solve the driver issue first. The best thing would be, before you give it to the kids is to do a fresh install on Win 2000 if you have the CD.

Windows user always tout how wonderful XP is, but if you want the most stable Windows OS 2000 is the way to go. We use it at work on both the servers and every workstation, and these computers for the most part haven't been shut off in several years without so much as a hiccup. Granted, XP is based on NT and 2000 code, but with all the fluff they added they screwed it up somewhere along the way. You know there's too much crap when you can do a Win 2000 install from CD close to Start button in 20 minutes and XP takes an hour or so.

I think you'll find, as I have, that you're going to love your Mac and OS X Tiger - this is a wonderful, stable, enjoyable operating system and platform. As far as drivers go, as long as you stick with Apple compatible stuff you most likely will never have a driver issue. If you have an old parallel printer that you still use you can even use it by networking your 2000 box to your new Mac.

If you want me to try and help with the driver issue you're having in 2000 shoot me an email to [email protected] and I will do my best to walk you through a solution.

Good luck.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:

Don't know ? I am new to Mac.

Tonight will be searching for information on how to strip down unneeded services (if any) and 'genie effects'.

If anyone has a link, please post.

Thank you.

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html
  • Reply 24 of 42
    100mph100mph Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html

Thank you Archstudent.

But this thing (or Tink) is way too limited.

Under Windows it's possible to change Services, Startup, and many other options. And all this without any additional applications.

With MB I feel totally lost ... \
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

System preferences>Dock (change genie effect to scale).

System preferences>Appearence

There are tons of third party programs to modify Aqua. Google it.

http://www.almaer.com/blog/archives/001229.html

Thank you Neruda.

I am not looking for additional applications. Just information on how to remove and disable things that are already here.

Example:

For XP users:

1. Right-click My Computer\\Manage\\Services\\Stitch the following services to Disabled: Themes, Indexing, Remote Desktop, DNS Client, Web Client, etc. ...
    \
  • Reply 26 of 42
    This isn't Windows trying to be all things and thus often failing. You may need third party apps to make modifications to OS X.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

This isn't Windows trying to be all things and thus often failing. You may need third party apps to make modifications to OS X.

... or maybe we (You and I) just don't know how to make changes without 3-rd party apps ...

Example:

There is MSConfig in Windows, but I always used regedit - much cleaner ... as long as you know what to change.

Are you saying that in Mac we are limited to System Preferences???

Common, even Linux has service manager, etc.

WTF? I didn't buy this thing to run Windows under Parallels!
  • Reply 28 of 42
    No, you're not limited to System Preferences. In fact, you can do a lot of things in Terminal, once you know what you're doing.

Example:

http://www.hmug.org/man/1/defaults.php

I'm sure that you didn't learn regedit in your first week as a Windows user, either.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

No, you're not limited to System Preferences. In fact, you can do a lot of things in Terminal, once you know what you're doing.

Example:

http://www.hmug.org/man/1/defaults.php

I'm sure that you didn't learn regedit in your first week as a Windows user, either.

Thank you FormerLurker!

My sanity has been restored.

Now I just have to get Cisco vpn client working, and will be right @home.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    spend some time browsing around here:

www.macosxhints.com
  • Reply 31 of 42
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

We never turn it off. It prints labels 24x7.

100 MPH Do you print sequential bardcode numbers on lables? I print barcode's (sequential number) for our manufactured products. I print about 1,000 a month. I have a dedicated windows box set up for it. I have been to lazy to get it working in Parallels over the network because of the freekn' memory required to print that many labels. What printers are you using? I can't remember the brand of mine right off hand but it has been a work horse for me. It is thermal I believe and I use a special label since they are placed on products outdoors that see rain, sometimes immediately after haveing the label attached to the concrte product.

It's rare you run into people who print barcodes.

I love my printer but man, it is freekn' slow. It makes me wonder if it is my computer or printer.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

... or maybe we (You and I) just don't know how to make changes without 3-rd party apps ...

WTF? I didn't buy this thing to run Windows under Parallels!

Perhaps you should stop treating Mac OS X like you're still using Windows. I understand from many of your posts that you are very familar with Windows, but Mac OS X is not Windows in the slightest bit. It took me about a couple of weeks to get used to my Macbook, and about another week to get used to the trackpad (which I used to Hate but now Love ) so trying to use it like it's another Windows box is not going to get you anywhere with it.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    I haven't had a crash since I updated to 10.2
  • Reply 34 of 42
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Agree. Generally speaking: The major problem is between the chair and keyboard.

Well, no. The problem is mostly with Windows, it's just pretty easy to deal with once you know how. You can't expect people to know they must upgrade their OS before ever plugging the computer in the network.

You have to fault the people somewhat for using shady apps though. They wouldn't eat food found off the street, I think they could also use a moment of though before installing an app.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

100 MPH Do you print sequential bardcode numbers on lables? I print barcode's (sequential number) for our manufactured products. I print about 1,000 a month. I have a dedicated windows box set up for it. I have been to lazy to get it working in Parallels over the network because of the freekn' memory required to print that many labels. What printers are you using? I can't remember the brand of mine right off hand but it has been a work horse for me. It is thermal I believe and I use a special label since they are placed on products outdoors that see rain, sometimes immediately after haveing the label attached to the concrte product.

It's rare you run into people who print barcodes.

I love my printer but man, it is freekn' slow. It makes me wonder if it is my computer or printer.

We have 3 Zebra printers (140iIIIPlus and earlier models) @ our main facility and about 4 more @ other locations. One of our shipping dudes takes (good) care of them, and normally I am not involved unless something's wrong with PCs, etc. They use some type of text-based language to 'program' output. Printers are relatively fast, and mostly maintenance-free. Sometimes they get slow, and according to the 'shipping dude', they some newer 'scripts' must be used to kick in the proper mode. If you want, I can get more details ...
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Perhaps you should stop treating Mac OS X like you're still using Windows. I understand from many of your posts that you are very familar with Windows, but Mac OS X is not Windows in the slightest bit. It took me about a couple of weeks to get used to my Macbook, and about another week to get used to the trackpad (which I used to Hate but now Love ) so trying to use it like it's another Windows box is not going to get you anywhere with it.

My productivity suffered for about 5-8 hours … until I learned standard shortcuts (keyboard and t/pad). Don’t take me wrong … I am a system admin, and was simply looking for more information. But it's all good now - FormerLurker already hooked me up. Looks like it will take some serious reading … but I am ready to invest my time.

Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    drivers CAN BE a mess on windows. period. I never had problems with anything related to drivers back when i had my imac on mac os x 10 panther
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

Don't know ? I am new to Mac.

If anyone has a link, please post.

Thank you.

why? whats the point? genie effects, fine, get rid of em, but strip down unneeded services? This is true with POS microsoft to do this, but not really on mac. Sure u can make dashboard not run. What else are u gonna do? haha there isnt much else there. I guess disable spotlight?
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lbjandai View Post

why? whats the point? genie effects, fine, get rid of em, but strip down unneeded services? This is true with POS microsoft to do this, but not really on mac. Sure u can make dashboard not run. What else are u gonna do? haha there isnt much else there. I guess disable spotlight?

I could use a way to disable Spotlight. I use Quicksilver instead now

Sebastian
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

My productivity suffered for about 5-8 hours ? until I learned standard shortcuts (keyboard and t/pad). Don?t take me wrong ? I am a system admin, and was simply looking for more information. But it's all good now - FormerLurker already hooked me up. Looks like it will take some serious reading ? but I am ready to invest my time.

Thanks for your help.

Ah, well I Just hate to see Windows (even Parallels, though that's a sandbox of sorts) infect a Mac with the User wondering why he ever bought a Mac. Sorry if I came off the wrong way about it though.

Sebastian