OK. WTF Here be Official MacWorld SF2007 Countdown Thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 499
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I *also* have an Athlon box with XP ...My parents and I have left Malaysia in August this year to sort out some stuff in Australia for several months. Suffice to say the iBook G4 made it across, whereas my Athlon rig and beautiful 17" 1280x1024 Sony and 6600GT had to stay behind ...Hence I have the iBook G4 to play with a little (waiting for Leopard!!) and my cousin loaned me a WinXP2pro Toshiba TE2100 Pentium-4-m 2.0ghz 512mb RAM craptastic nVidia GeForce4 420 Go laptop, which I am using now most of the time. This PC laptop is not too bad for general internet, downloading, iTunes, Outlook(OMFG)(I just use it for the calendar feature), and ftpServer. Adobe CS2 Suite and Macromedia 8 Studio and x264 encoding actually is not too bad. Once the pagefile gets overrun things grind (literally, that poor poor hard disk working its ass off) to quite a halt though.

Yeah, I got my finger on the "Buy" trigger with the Core2Duo Macs. At this stage I survived the Christmas and have a nice present in terms of a bit of cash to top up some money I've gradually been scrimping away. Might as well hold out until mid-January to see how Apple is going to kick off 2007. 8)

Mac Mini should be upped to C2D in the next several months...

I think it was Placebo that was the official "OMFG WWDC OMFG" signature starter. That caught on like wildfire. Heh. When shall we all start the "OMFG Macworld OMFG" signature?

dude stop using outlook and use thunderbird then and get the "like apple mail" theme. I know there is one my mac friend is got it on his pc. Heck, use google cal, its awesome.
  • Reply 22 of 499
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lbjandai View Post

dude stop using outlook and use thunderbird then and get the "like apple mail" theme. I know there is one my mac friend is got it on his pc. Heck, use google cal, its awesome.

(All the following is in regards to PC WinXP2pro)

I actually don't like Google Picasa, Picasa-publish-to-Web, or Google online Cal, actually, too much dependence on online and while Picasa is nice, it's no iPhoto and doesn't give me the "feeel".

That said, GMail is the best email service/ client/ anything I have *EVER* used. GoogleMail ROCKS.

I will try out Thunderbird though for the Calendar aspect and get the Apple theeme.

I don't know how I would live my life without Firefox, and the Firefox "iFox Metal" theme is fantastico.

Ty for suggestions. I try now. 8)
  • Reply 23 of 499
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    it isn't the iphone thing it is the restatement of the options and the now reported falsification of documents.

That could be a big problem.

however AAPL is stabilized @ 81.52 with 12 days to go.

My guess is the stock will pop just before and take off after steve does his itunes on christmas and number of downloads thing.
  • Reply 24 of 499
    12 Days to go!!!8)

AAPL = 81.52
  • Reply 25 of 499
    12 days of agony to go,

12 days to go,

One long night,

Another daybreak,

11 days of agony to go

-----

Where is Ireland's Widget? !!!

-----

Don't own stock, just want to see the keynote to see how much money I will spend next year. Am currently debating a nice new SD-card HD vvideo camera for a new project, but don't know if Apple will be cutting into/eliminating/bankrupting my budget.
  • Reply 26 of 499
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

iTV,

Leopard,

iPod Phone,

Woot!

AAPL = $81.52

..new Apple keyboard design with iPod dock? ..new Cinema displays with IR & iSight's? ..quad Mac Pro's?
  • Reply 27 of 499
    11 Days to GO!

oh, ok 11 Days 23Hours and 52 mins to go ... that last 23 hours will be killing
  • Reply 28 of 499
    Ok guys, here is another Widget that you can use:

Keynote 07

The bonus with this one is that once the keynote starts, a link will appear on the widget going straight to the Live AppleInsider page!!

Hope you guys enjoy!!
  • Reply 29 of 499
    Thanks, Ireland! Keep posting it. I'm OK now, but the lack of sleep will start catching up to me sometime next week. I'm not 20 anymore and two weeks without rest is ggetting harder every year.
  • Reply 30 of 499
    San Francisco\tThu 9:40 PM 28 Dec 2006

Less than 12 hours...oops I mean days... to go. [I got no Dashboard ]

AAPL = $80.87

Some news:

http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/...ap3286525.html

"Apple Computer Inc.'s popular iTunes Music Store appeared to be back to normal Thursday, two days after shoppers wielding new iPods and gift cards faced error messages and long delays while trying to download songs.

Apple (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) officials didn't return telephone calls Thursday and the company has not explained why some shoppers on Monday and Tuesday experienced 20-minute delays to download a song.

But Wall Street analysts said the delays were probably caused by music sales that dramatically exceeded the Cupertino-based company's own forecasts and resulted in too many people trying to access the site at once.

Four times as many people visited the iTunes on Christmas than at the same time last year
    , according to online market researcher Hitwise.

Apple commands about 75 percent of the market for downloaded music, but could lose as much as 5 percent of that market share in 2007 because of increased competition from rival services, according to [some dumb analysts like] Piper Jaffray..."

Share Fiasco Update:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...tJk&refer=news

"Apple Shares Fall After FT Report of Jobs's Options (Update5)

By Ian King and Connie Guglielmo

Dec. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of Apple Computer Inc. declined after the Financial Times reported Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs was given stock options in 2001 without the authorization of the company's board.

Company records that appear to show the full board considered a grant of 7.5 million stock options were falsified, the newspaper reported, citing people familiar with the matter. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is examining the evidence, the report said.

``It does create a certain amount of doubt as to whether Steve Jobs can stay with the company,'' Rob Enderle of the research firm Enderle Group said yesterday in an interview. ``It looks more and more serious.''

Apple is among the biggest names caught in a stock-option scandal that has widened to more than 190 companies. In June the maker of the iPod music player began an internal review of its grants, including one to Jobs. Apple said in October that it found 15 misdated grants from 1997 to 2002. The Recorder, a San Francisco-based legal newspaper, first reported yesterday on the discovery of possibly falsified documents related to options.

``We are providing all details regarding the internal independent investigation to the SEC and not commenting beyond that,'' Steve Dowling, an Apple spokesman, said by telephone.

John Nester, a spokesman for the SEC, refused to comment on the Financial Times article. Claude Stern, the partner in charge of the Redwood City, California, office of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart Oliver & Hedges, the law firm hired by Apple's board to examine the grants, declined to comment.

Shares Fall

Shares of Cupertino, California-based Apple dropped 65 cents to $80.87 at 4 p.m. New York time in Nasdaq Stock Market composite trading after falling as low as $79.65 earlier. The stock has gained 12 percent this year.

Jobs, 51, owns about 5.43 million shares of Apple, or 0.6 percent of the company, according to company filings with the SEC. The stake was worth $442 million at yesterday's closing price.

``The SEC has been looking very hard at these cases and they're working with the Department of Justice to put together criminal cases,'' said Bill Portanova, a former federal prosecutor in solo practice in Sacramento, California. ``When prosecutors are looking at something that they think is wrong in the first place, and they find paperwork in support of that thing that has been falsified, their appetite is whetted.''

When Apple released the results of its three-month investigation in October, it didn't disclose any falsified documents. The company said it found backdated option awards on 15 occasions from 1997 to January 2002. While Jobs was aware of some instances, he didn't benefit, Apple said.

Restatements Due

Apple promised to submit restatements for the third quarter ended July 1 and the year ended Sept. 30 by the end of December.

Backdating allows executives to inflate the value of the stock options by retroactively choosing grant dates when the underlying shares are lower. Restatements, revisions and charges have topped $5.7 billion among the companies that have corrected their results thus far.

Jobs apologized to shareholders in October after finding instances of favorable grants. Apple said at the time the actions of two unnamed former executives raised ``serious concerns.'' Former Chief Financial Officer Fred Anderson, whose tenure included the five years when options were manipulated, resigned from the company's board.

While Jobs knew some options were backdated, he didn't benefit or understand the accounting, the company said. Apple added there has been no misconduct by current management.

U.S. Attorney

The Recorder said yesterday federal prosecutors are examining whether Apple officials falsified documents to inflate the value of grants. The fake documents were uncovered during the company's internal probe, and the information was passed on to the U.S. Attorney's office, the Recorder said, citing people familiar with the case.

Helen Yee, a Justice Department spokeswoman in San Francisco, didn't return a phone call seeking comment after normal business hours.

``How does it affect the timing, predictability or size of cash flow of Apple going forward? The only way it can is if they implicate Jobs in some way,'' said James Grossman, a fund manager at Thrivent Financial for Lutherans in Appleton, Wisconsin. The firm oversees $65 billion including Apple shares.

``The charges are serious,'' said Grossman. ``I'm going to stick with the original statement by the company that Jobs isn't a part of it.'' "
  • Reply 31 of 499
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Ok guys, here is another Widget that you can use:

Keynote 07

The bonus with this one is that once the keynote starts, a link will appear on the widget going straight to the Live AppleInsider page!!

Hope you guys enjoy!!

Thank you, My Dashboard has never been happier

Sebastian
  • Reply 32 of 499
    Hi one cross posting,

The xMac (Pictures and Concept) Mid-Tower: for Enthusiast, Mid-Enterprise Markets

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=69846

Photos below, notice the x in the xMac logo is reminiscent of the Apple ][e

Just the right balance of upgradeability and defined, easy to support hardware that can run Mac OS 10.4, 10.5, WinXP2 Pro, or Vista, or a combination through Parallels, etc. for the medium-size enterprise market. Also targets market space between Mac Mini and iMac and Mac Pro.

• Reply 33 of 499
    The GPU is slotted into a special "swing out" bay so that it sits parallel to the motherboard. This maintains slimline options. Obviously, a slight modification to the motherboard, and Apple genius for the casing thermal management. Other components eg. RAM, Hard Disk and so on are also just a matter of casing design.
  • Reply 34 of 499
    Sunil... you really need to get seriously deep in the insanity... I recommend posts every 5 minutes (and make sure you include the countdown clock).
  • Reply 35 of 499
    "17-inch Cinema Display" I don't think will be an actual product, but used liberally in the mockups to illustrate slimline size and profile of the xMac.
  • Reply 36 of 499
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sunil... you really need to get seriously deep in the insanity... I recommend posts every 5 minutes (and make sure you include the countdown clock).

I've been given strict rules in Forum Management and Intarweb Usage by my psychiatrist and psychologist...

• Reply 37 of 499
    Quote:

I've been given strict rules in Forum Management and Intarweb Usage by my psychiatrist and psychologist...

• Reply 38 of 499
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Hi one cross posting,

The xMac (Pictures and Concept) Mid-Tower: for Enthusiast, Mid-Enterprise Markets

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=69846

Photos below, notice the x in the xMac logo is reminiscent of the Apple ][e

Just the right balance of upgradeability and defined, easy to support hardware that can run Mac OS 10.4, 10.5, WinXP2 Pro, or Vista, or a combination through Parallels, etc. for the medium-size enterprise market. Also targets market space between Mac Mini and iMac and Mac Pro.

Nice, but how much will it set me back?
  • Reply 39 of 499
    xmac and new cinema displays would be my dream MWSF
  • Reply 40 of 499
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Seriously. I would buy one without a second thought.