April iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What will the next iMac likely be (I'm guessing Q1), particularly in the context of Jobs implying great things are coming in 2007 (and the iMac being presumably rather central)? I just made enough money to replace my Windows PC. I want to get a 24" iMac with 2 GB memory and 750 GB hard drive, but, as I really don't need to make the change yet (though would love to), I want to wait to see what "exciting new products" Apple has in store for 2007. I would imagine a complete case redesign around April would be reasonable to expect, as 1. it seems there will be a need for cooler designs for future processors eventually, anyway (I'd love for them to get the more cost-effective upcoming 1333 MHz-FSB Conroes); 2. the design is arguably somewhat dated; 3. Apple seems to be in a time of rapid change and aggressive competition; ...

I know a lot of people advocate not falling into the waiting game, but I don't really need it right now, and as I'd like this computer to last me several years, it might be worth it to wait for a change that might be not-so-incremental (also, it will likely come with Leopard and iLife '07--yay!)

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorRobert

Hi,

I just made enough money to replace my terrible Windows PC. I want to get a 24" iMac with 2 GB memory and 750 MB hard drive, but, as I really don't need to make the change yet (though would love to), I want to wait to see what "exciting new products" Apple has in store for 2007. I would imagine a complete case redesign around April would be reasonable to expect, as 1. it seems there will be a need for cooler designs for future processors eventually, anyway (I'd love for them to get the more cost-effective upcoming 1333 MHz-FSB Conroes); 2. the design is arguably somewhat dated; 3. Apple seems to be in a time of rapid change and aggressive competition; ...

I know a lot of people advocate not falling into the waiting game, but I don't really need it right now, and as I'd like this computer to last me several years, it might be worth it to wait for a change that might be not-so-incremental (also, it will likely come with Leopard and iLife '07--yay!)

What do you guys think?

Computers don't last several years anymore, you'd be better off financially keeping only for two years. If I was you i'd wait to see what happens at Macworld, but personally I wouldn't wait past March 2007 at the latest, as Leopard will be out - you can't wait forever. The iMac is a computer in a display so I don't see drastic changes within the next 4 years, just minor nips, tucks, color changes (possibly Black iMac in 2007), thinness, chin & height adjustment etc. Processor/RAM changes will happen ever year, so I wouldn't wait for them.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Yeah, that's kinda the thing--I'm a student, so I predict it'll be a while before I can upgrade, so for example, if they got Conroes in 'em, it'd double the FSB right away, which could future-proof me _somewhat_, also it seems to me that we are in somewhat of an inflection point (in component prices coming down, Apple getting more aggressive, ...)
  • Reply 3 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Computers don't last several years anymore, you'd be better off financially keeping only for two years.

Hmm? The longer you keep a computer, the better off financially you are.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

I think Ireland means that it doesn't make much sense (financially) to buy something you think will last several years, the better alternative being to buy just what you need now, and replace in about two years--thus avoiding to buy more than what you need now, and to pay for repairs, maintenance, and upgrades that aren't the best cost-benefit way to go.

Not "waiting forever" makes sense, but sometimes bigger changes are expected, and if you're not in need, I think it's better to wait (like buying a PowerBook G4 four months before the MBPs would be quite wrist-slitting-inducive). I know nothing like that change is coming any time soon, but if there's a reasonable chance of a case redesign (with corresponding improvements and surprises), and maybe an April-new Conroe, nicer graphics, etc., I'd be glad to wait. (And, for the reasons cited above, I think there is).
  • Reply 5 of 23
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I think Ireland means that it doesn't make much sense (financially) to buy something you think will last several years, the better alternative being to buy just what you need now, and replace in about two years--thus avoiding to buy more than what you need now, and to pay for repairs, maintenance, and upgrades that aren't the best cost-benefit way to go.

Not "waiting forever" makes sense, but sometimes bigger changes are expected, and if you're not in need, I think it's better to wait (like buying a PowerBook G4 four months before the MBPs would be quite wrist-slitting-inducive). I know nothing like that change is coming any time soon, but if there's a reasonable chance of a case redesign (with corresponding improvements and surprises), and maybe an April-new Conroe, nicer graphics, etc., I'd be glad to wait. (And, for the reasons cited above, I think there is).

Forget Conroe in iMac. If that was going to happen, I wish it would have personally, it already would have. Santa Rosa will allow them a speed bump with new faster Meroms.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Forget Conroe in iMac. If that was going to happen, I wish it would have personally, it already would have. Santa Rosa will allow them a speed bump with new faster Meroms.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

i agree it does seem a bit crazy to me!

i have a 20 (plus) year old Atari, and it still runs fine .. and hasnt cost me a thing in years! does that mean im better off? i think so... if a spade can dig, its still doing the job it was intended for.

if you buy a computer to do a job, and use the software.. it will still do that job... its upgrading the software that is the problem..

its "new" things like multimedia that put a strain on last years computer.. that and the "need" to have the latest thing.

"jeez i bought this spade and it digs well enough, but now i want to brew coffee... my spade is no good"

---

on topic, yeah if you can afford to hold off till mac world in a month it "might" give you an idea of where Apple are going with new hardware...MAYBE
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Actually what Ireland means is that by the time 2 years passes, you'll get more money for your iMac/Mac when you try to sell it on. I had my last iMac for about a year/if not less, and I barely lost anything when selling it. That's my real point.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Actually what Ireland means is that by the time 2 years passes, you'll get more money for your iMac/Mac when you try to sell it on.

Excuse me, but I don't think that's what Ireland meant, at all.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Computers don't last several years anymore...

Don't tell that to the snow iMac G3 (600mhz) i'm posting this from. Or my wife's 1ghz g4 ibook.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progmac View Post

Don't tell that to the snow iMac G3 (600mhz) i'm posting this from. Or my wife's 1ghz g4 ibook.

Or my 800 mhz G4! It might up and die on me. (not likely)
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorRobert View Post

Excuse me, but I don't think that's what Ireland meant, at all.

• Reply 13 of 23
    Revived threads are fun.

I'll abuse the opportunity to reiterate my stubborn attachment to the idea that the iMac'll be redesigned soon to a more heat-efficient enclosure that will accommodate the anyway-inevitably-increasing temperatures (and put an end to the more-expensive-but-slower-notebook-processor-on-a-desktop nonsense?well, except for the mini...), update the look of the computer (particularly for the exciting year of 2007), and bring some new, fun surprises. All in one sentence, even.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Revived threads are fun.

I'll abuse the opportunity to reiterate my stubborn attachment to the idea that the iMac'll be redesigned soon to a more heat-efficient enclosure that will accommodate the anyway-inevitably-increasing temperatures (and put an end to the more-expensive-but-slower-notebook-processor-on-a-desktop nonsense?well, except for the mini...), update the look of the computer (particularly for the exciting year of 2007), and bring some new, fun surprises. All in one sentence, even.

The Dr has spoken! It would be nice DR if one could design a 24" iMac that didn't look like the one we have now, but I'd defy the artisitic here to try...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    The good doctor has done a lovely ee cummings and may be right. I'm looking forward to the day when the iMac will have four cores and VRAM at 512MB. Dynamo it would be for several years.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Revived threads are fun.

Are you Moonlight Grahame?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Revived threads are fun.

Although I don't disagree that the iMac will be redesigned at some point (it cannot be otherwise anyway), what makes this year 2007 so exciting? Perhaps the new Apple teaser? By the way, the last time Apple teased us that way was in year 2002, when the flat panel iMac G4 was introduced.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I think what makes 2007 exciting is that 2006 Apple only concentrated on dropping in intEl cpus into Apple boxes from the PPC era minus the odd tweak eg iSight camera stuff.

2007 will surely usher in new Intel only designs now they have more time to think where their designs of their computers goes next.

Personally, I can't quite see where they can go. I think they're about as 'flat' and heat efficient as you can get for the current multicore and gpu tech.

The Mac Book Pro is about as flat as you can get at an inch? Its design is fairly simple, uncluttered and as elegant as you can get?

The Mac Pro is due octo power. The enclosure is state of the art inside. It can't get much better than that? Outside. You either love or hate the grill look. I like it.

iMac. Possily can get thinner when you consider the Mac Pro and the iMac are one and the same? So bets are this will get closer to an inch thicker to reduce weight. Maybe it will go quad core? ie with the new intel quad cpu that is more consumer orientated? I'd like to see that happen to the 24 inch model. I'd personally love to see a 30 inch iMac model. With a kick asss gpu. Possibly lose some of the 'chin'. Maybe a 'metal'/alu version/black edition?

Mac Mini. I kinda like the design, kinda don't. In person, I love it.

X Mac. I think an opportunity abounds for apple to usher in some new design ideas for the shuttle market. With an conroe and a nice gpu inside. A nice little cube box. More powerful than the mini and expandable.

Apple's white, grey. Plastic and metal. Possibly see a black variation of the odd computer. Maybe annodized versions. And the designs are quite minimal. I expect them to remain so. Look at the nano. Exterior of the Mac Pro. The Mac Book. The iMac.

But then, Apple can always surprise.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Revived threads are fun.

The iMac is said to run optimally between 10 and 35c. In Malaysia where I?m from, it?s pretty hot 8) without air-conditioning and several are known to blow cards when run upwards of 10 hours. A re-designed case is welcome but please, please, no grey, no black. Off-white will always be a classic and it?s such a recognizable prop on the telly with the bright white apple on the its back.

I too am hoping for a major change to Conroes for example, with more cache, a bigger bus and RAM. This will finally show the iMac 24 as a true desktop not to mention the 8 series Ge Force with the built-in blower making an appearance with a pleasing intermittent hum leaving the 7 to replace the Radeons on the 20 and 17. All this while keeping prices stagnant.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

I too am hoping for a major change to Conroes for example, with more cache, a bigger bus and RAM. This will finally show the iMac 24 as a true desktop not to mention the 8 series Ge Force with the built-in blower making an appearance with a pleasing intermittent hum leaving the 7 to replace the Radeons on the 20 and 17. All this while keeping prices stagnant.

I'm not sure we'll get that. Nice though it would be.

Faster laptop cpus more like for the iMac. Maybe a low end or mid range 8000 series Geforce if we're lucky.

Lemon Bon Bon