Another reason there won't be many computer updates at MWSF

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As many Apple veterans know, Apple releases updates to most of their computers within a month before or after a major OS release. This is why I think we will see very few computer announcements at MWSF if any, because I don't think Leopard will be ready for at least 2 more months.

In my opinion, the only potential computer announcements will be for completely new products. That being said, if there was an upgrade to an existing computer, I think it would be in the following probability (most likely to least):
  1. Mac Mini

2. Mac Pro

3. iMac

4. MacBook

5. MacBook Pro

(those in red are almost certainly not going to be updated)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Duh, Apple is about to release an update. It's OS 10.4.9.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    thats not what he means, hes talking about hardware updates. i.e macbook pro getting a redesigned case and spec etc.

btw i think the macbook pro would more likely get an update than the macbook, so that should be higher in the list.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    The flip side of the argument is that Apple gets huge media coverage from MWSF and any new computer released will benefit significantly.

A mid level headless Mac would probably get the most coverage because of a "new design" from Apple and the upgrade potential for Mac mini users.

It's really a flip of the coin as we never know what Steve J is planning. I therefore wouldn't rule anything out.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    This doesn't make much sense. The G5s, a HUGE hardware revision, were covered by the 10.2.6 update.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v View Post

This doesn't make much sense. The G5s, a HUGE hardware revision, were covered by the 10.2.6 update.

You misunderstand what I am saying. I am not saying that huge hardware revisions come with huge software revisions. What I am saying is that minor hardware revisions come with huge software revisions. Everytime there is a new OS released, most of the computers get a minor update within a month before or after the OS release. Check out the timeline of Tiger and computer releases. Because Leopard is suppose to be released fairly soon but probably not for another 2+ months, Apple won't update computers at MWSF just to update them again 3 months later.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

You misunderstand what I am saying. I am not saying that huge hardware revisions come with huge software revisions. What I am saying is that minor hardware revisions come with huge software revisions. Everytime there is a new OS released, most of the computers get a minor update within a month before or after the OS release. Check out the timeline of Tiger and computer releases. Because Leopard is suppose to be released fairly soon but probably not for another 2+ months, Apple won't update computers at MWSF just to update them again 3 months later.

We will likely see another OS update between now and the release of Leapord in the spring, which would be at the earliest March and the latest the end of April. That is a range of 2-5 months. Before this Apple will be updating hardware, the Mac Pro will be due soon, as will the iMac and Intel has new processors coming out soon.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

We will likely see another OS update between now and the release of Leapord in the spring, which would be at the earliest March and the latest the end of April. That is a range of 2-5 months. Before this Apple will be updating hardware, the Mac Pro will be due soon, as will the iMac and Intel has new processors coming out soon.

Mac Pro updates can come before the major OS release because they are so powerful, there is no reason to bump the speed or RAM just for a major OS release, thus it could be updated at any time. But anyways, I'm not talking about minor OS updates, I'm talking about major OS updates (Leopard) in terms of the other computers.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    the mac mini will almost definetly get an update; also, i wouldnt be surprised if it was able to be expanded more, to serve as the headless mac we've been waiting for
  • Reply 9 of 12
    whoops double clicked 'reply' (see post below)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

the mac mini will almost definetly get an update; also, i wouldnt be surprised if it was able to be expanded more, to serve as the headless mac we've been waiting for

yeh, I'd love to see a prosumer black Mac Mini with dedicated graphics and HDMI, and lose the 17' iMac! I'd snap one up ASAP!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by looksthatkill View Post

yeh, I'd love to see a prosumer black Mac Mini with dedicated graphics and HDMI, and lose the 17' iMac! I'd snap one up ASAP!

I would think a 17' iMac would be rather difficult to lose...

But about the prosumer Mac mini: maybe, but I don't think it will be branded "Mac mini," and instead be priced considerably higher.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Dirk View Post

I would think a 17' iMac would be rather difficult to lose...

But about the prosumer Mac mini: maybe, but I don't think it will be branded "Mac mini," and instead be priced considerably higher.

i agree, i think it'll be priced higher than both 17" iMacs, and similarly to the 20" iMacs