Just picked up a new iMac 800!! combo

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The first iMac with a 7200 RPM HD !!!. Seems pretty fast. Software comes on DVD!! Just an old iMac repackaged, but not a bad deal at $1299. 32x cd burning is pretty good.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    How is the noise? Fans loud at all? Details man, details!

Congrats, BTW. Make sure you hit the Pictures of your Setup thread.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I do like the thought of the softwar coming on DVD. I cringe at the stack of CDs that came with my iBook 700.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    The fan is really quiet so far. Just a very slight "whirl". barely audible.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    sweet...software is now on one DVD...cool...picking up a combo iMac for a neighbor this week...she isn't up for the 17 in..too bad, but her kids will like the 32x burner.....g
  • Reply 5 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, that new $1299 iMac is definitely a sweet model. FAST burner, for all the mix-makers out there (I've got a SuperDrive and the CD-R speed is 8x...ugh).

So basically, someone can spend $1299 and get what I paid $1799 for in March, minus the SuperDrive.

That's a really good machine! Enjoy it...I sure am!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    This actually raises a question I've been meaning to ask for a while now:

Do you think it would be cool if Apple were to have some sort of upgrade program where - say in the case of the SuperDrive - you could, for a small or reasonable fee, take you older iMac or whatever and have an authorized Apple service person pull out the old SuperDrive and stick in ones that are currently shipping in the new 17" models (4x DVD burn, 16x CD-R burn, etc.).

:confused:

Would that just be too hard to keep up with and a waste of money and all for Apple? I guess so.

I love my iMac but as components improve (get faster), it would neat to have the option of going to the online Apple store or visit one of the retail shops and order a newer, faster SuperDrive or Combo Drive to replace older, slower versions.

Are there any true technical reasons this couldn't be done? Does the 4x SuperDrive require any sort of processor or bus requirements that prohibit this from being a simple, no-frills "swap out"?

Even more, how about the video/graphics card? It's soldered on to the board, right? So no chance of this.

Shame. If you've got a machine you like, kinda sucks to know that to get anything better you have to buy a whole new machine and can't simply replace what-should-be-modular components like an optical drive or video card.

While I'm fantasizing, I'd STILL love Apple to have a "15-to-17" program, where people like me can take their 15" LCD iMac to an Apple authorized repair place and they snap off the 15" display and replace it with the 17" widescreen one (for a fee, of course).

Wouldn't that be cool? I'd do it today if I could because that 17" widescreen at 1440x900 makes SUCH a difference in Illustrator and Photoshop with the palettes and all.

Sigh...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Buy the new superdrive, take it to an Apple store, they will install it.

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: serrano ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 18
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by serrano:

<strong>Buy the new superdrive, take it to an Apple store, they will install it.

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: serrano ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you sure about that? About a year ago I was thinking about getting a new hard drive for my iBook and I asked a Genius if they would install it and they said they aren't allowed to.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by serrano:

<strong>Buy the new superdrive, take it to an Apple store, they will install it.

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: serrano ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I really doubt it.

As for why Apple doesn't normally have upgrade programs -- they want you to buy a new computer, not upgrade your old one.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The iBook's hard drive is not considered a part that can be installed/replaced by Apple. They allow their authorized service providers to do it, but Apple itself won't. Why? I don't know.

However, as far as I know, Apple WILL install RAM (including in the single non-user-accessible slot on the iMac), hard drives on everything but the iBook, and optical drives on the desktops. I'm not sure if they will install your superdrive in your iMac, but I am pretty sure they'll install opticals in PowerMacs. You may as well ask first.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    No dead pixels either :cool:
  • Reply 12 of 18
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Maybe Apple will not install new drives on old hardware because they want you to buy new machines with the new drive...ever think of that?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    good luck with the GF2MX
  • Reply 14 of 18
    guyguy Posts: 16member
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>good luck with the GF2MX</strong><hr></blockquote>

Way to piss on his parade. Jerk.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>The iBook's hard drive is not considered a part that can be installed/replaced by Apple. They allow their authorized service providers to do it, but Apple itself won't. Why? I don't know.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's very sad but true. I had to send my iBook to Texas to replace the backlight cable (part of the Reed switch assembly) because the hinge had pinched it and the backlight would shut off if I opened the screen beyond a 70 degree angle. Apple quoted me $300 for the repair. So I figured I'd buy a 40GB IBM 40GNX 5400rpm drive and have them pop it in while the iBook was open. They refused to do so! Instead they recommened I go to an ASP and have them open up my iBook a second time to upgrade the HDD at extra cost. Needless to say, I'm still limping along with my original 10GB HDD.

OTOH, Apple's no upgrades policy keeps great outfits like <a href="http://www.mcetech.com/"; target="_blank">MCE Technologies</a> in business. Hopefully this issue will help me make up my mind about a new 12-inch PowerBook soon.

Escher

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 18
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by kevbo:

<strong>The fan is really quiet so far. Just a very slight "whirl". barely audible.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Back on topic: The "new" iMac 800 with Combo drive does sound tempting. My Rev.A iMac/233 is getting close to retirement age and some might argue it's even beyond that. I wish you could BTO it to the higher bus speed and 1Ghz G4 but without the SuperDrive and 17-inch LCD.

Escher

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by Jared:

<strong>Maybe Apple will not install new drives on old hardware because they want you to buy new machines with the new drive...ever think of that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uh, yes I did slick. But I can still ask. The above doesn't always hold true, or apply to every case.

If people loved their current set-up (and everything dialed-in really well), what's it to Apple if they want to spend money for a new, faster SuperDrive. If the person just NEEDS that 4x DVD burning and would happily drop $300-500 to get it (or whatever the hell those things cost...whatever a "normal", reasonable price is, you know Apple would sell it for 30% more...just like their RAM).

• Reply 18 of 18
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Here in Australia, Authorized Service Centres will only install Apple parts in non-Power Macs. That is, $3000 (AU) for a SuperDrive.

I wouldn't have bought an iMac 800, but good luck with it.

Barto