Proof that Apple Laptops Are Cheapest both for Consumer & Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well here is at least two proofs that it is actually A LOT cheaper to buy an Apple laptop, than a poorly designed DELL.

(Dont even start to compare to the better designed laptops from IBM or SONY.....)

CASE 1: Professional desktop replacement laptop.

Let's build a comparable Dell to the middle one 15" 2.33 Ghz. $2499.

Closest configuration is:

Dell Latitude D820

15" wide screen

WSXGA 1680x1050

Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz

2 GB RAM

120 GB hard disk 5400 rpm

256 MB NVIDIA NVS 110M

Configured with not-optional 3yr service.

and Software for burner and dvd

Its has a slightly higher resolution than the Apple, and a comparable graphics card.

It has no FireWire, no webcam, only single layer dvd burner, and no usable software.

So what is the price?

$ 2890 !!

For that price you could get any of the MacBook Pros, even the 17".

Ok let's try a consumer Laptop instead.

CASE 2: Small portable consumer laptop.

The closest thing Dell has to the MacBook is the XPS M1210:

12" wide screen

WXGA 1280x800

Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz

1 GB RAM

80 GB hard disk 5400 rpm

dual layer dvd burner

Integrated Intel 950 graphics

Configured with No service.

and Software for burner and dvd

But with windows XP pro

$ 1641 !!

Again for that price you could choose any of the MacBooks!

So regarding Price only, Apple clearly wins!

(and for the rest Apple wins too...)

Price difference is about the same in the EU stores.

Sorry if there has been 100's of these comparisons, but its always good to have a recent one....

(edit: changed the first dell laptop to a latitude d820)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I think the reason alot of people think macs are more expensive is that you can get extremely cheap computers made by other manufactures, which you can't get with apple.

Of coure for similarly spec'd machines, apple is about the same price if not cheaper.

And to be honest, I don't want apple to start making really cheap computers!

stu
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Heres one I just put together for less

\tPrint Summary\t

\tAdd to My Wish List

\tAdd To Cart

Compatibility Instructions

REVIEW MY SUMMARY

Congratulations! Your system is ready to be built.

We have some recommendations for you highlighted in green below.

My Components

PROCESSOR\tIntel® Core? 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)\tedit

OPERATING SYSTEM & TV-TUNERS\tGenuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005\tedit

UPGRADE TO WINDOWS VISTA\tNo Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Selected\tedit

LCD PANEL\t15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife?\tedit

MEMORY\t1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm\tedit

HARD DRIVE\t80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive\tedit

OPTICAL DRIVE\t24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive\tedit

VIDEO CARD\tIntel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950\tedit

SOUND OPTIONS\tIntegrated Audio\tedit

My Accessories

BATTERY OPTIONS\t53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery\tedit

WIRELESS CARDS\tDell Wireless 1390b/g (54Mbps)\tedit

E1505 Dual Core

From $1,119

$973\t

As low as $30/month
  • Reply 3 of 13
    the problem is not the cost but the use of the PC..... Apple's....can be used by designers only and not gamers......Compared to Dell.........both are equally stable............but if you look into the caost factor..........YoU can build your own PC with the SAME price with even better Config's............LAPTOPS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY THOUGH........

I’ve always hated my hair. That was until I met Solon magrizos. With just the tiniest vague description from me, he can pinpoint exactly what I need, and what will definitely look the best on me. He is a pure mastermind when it comes to hair. Flip cuts, perms, even the littlest highlights that lead to overall perfection. Never again will I trust my head in the hands of another person.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Boy MacWorld around the corner sure is bringing a ton of weirdos out of the woodwork.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

\tPrint Summary\t

\tAdd to My Wish List

\tAdd To Cart

REVIEW MY SUMMARY

My Components

OPERATING SYSTEM & TV-TUNERS\tGenuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005\tedit

My Accessories

E1505 Dual Core

From $1,119

$973\t

As low as $30/month

It comes close, but it has no superdrive! And also no bluetooth

And if one would be nit-picky, you could argue that you need windows xp pro, to have the equvalent of mac os x. (you can't log into company domains with xp home or media center)

Which model is it? The form factor is probably pretty far from an ibook as well.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    It comes close, but it has no superdrive! And also no bluetooth

And if one would be nit-picky, you could argue that you need windows xp pro, to have the equvalent of mac os x. (you can't log into company domains with xp home or media center)

Which model is it? The form factor is probably pretty far from an ibook as well.

I am old school, if I'm going to buy a laptop, the only thing I care about is the processor.

All that other crap you can buy later. This one I saw for $973, (Core 2 Duo 2.00Ghz)

thats not bad for that price. You can go to CompUSA and buy their external DVD writer for $79 bucks, go to a computer fair and buy another gig of ram for $99 bucks and call it a day.

Go to new egg.com and get some cheap wireless card for the free Y-fi at Starbucks.

So here is a 15" screen Core 2 Duo for under $1000

If Mac offered such a thing, I'd buy it. Their 2.0 Ghz Duo MacBook is a 13", also doesnt come with wireless card, has the same hdd and ram, but has a DVD writer .....but is $1299, I'd say performance-wise, its a draw except the Mac's screen is smaller. So whats so "cheapest"

re: the thread's topic? If you don't search wisely, of course you will find products that will

cost more and have less performance.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

\tPrint Summary\t

\tAdd to My Wish List

\tAdd To Cart

REVIEW MY SUMMARY

My Components

My Accessories

E1505 Dual Core

From $1,119

$973\t

As low as $30/month

Far lower display resolution. Integrated graphics. No DVD burner. No Bluetooth. Slower RAM. No digital video output.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    It's interesting how these comparisons invariably work. The Apple computer represents a "perfect" configuration the other computer has to match, part for part. Then the other computer is heavily BTO'ed to match the stock Apple. Big surprise! Apple wins. An equally biased way would be to take a Dell/Lenovo/etc stock model and start BTO'ing Apple computers to match them part for part, no matter how prohitibively expensive that is. Naturally Apple doesn't have as big a selection, so they would not just seem more expensive, but often lose by default because they cannot come anywhere close to the other computer's configuration.

Let's try the other way. Source: lenovo.com

Lenovo 3000 N100 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2GHz, 4MBL2, 667MHzFSB)

Edit\t\t0768AJU\t\t$1,599.00\t\t1\t\t$1,599.00

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2GHz, 4MBL2, 667MHzFSB)

Operating system: Genuine Windows XP Professional

Display type: 15.4 inch WSXGA+ VibrantView TFT with integrated camera (1680x1050) (Premium Silver)\t\t\t\t\t\t1\t\t

System graphics: 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 with Turbo Cache

Total memory: 2GB PC2-5300DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive: 120GB, 5400rpm Serial ATA

Optical device: 8X Max DVD Recordable (Dual Layer) EIDE Fixed Media Bay drive

Wireless cards: Lenovo 11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless

Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth PAN

Low end Powerbook costs $550 more after adding the equivalent 2GB memory, but still has worse display resolution. There's no way to twist this into an Apple win.

I'm not trying to say Powerbooks aren't worth it. I'm trying to say the original poster's comparison, and most other comparisons made on these forums, are rigged in their basic assumptions to virtually guarantee an Apple win by using the Apple stock models as the target.

My idea of a fair comparison would be to take a sample (1 and up) of real-life user needs, and make a comparison using those needs as the target both for the Windows PC and the Mac. The result would be specific to this target, of course, and not a blanket verdict.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

It's interesting how these comparisons invariably work. The Apple computer represents a "perfect" configuration the other computer has to match, part for part. Then the other computer is heavily BTO'ed to match the stock Apple. Big surprise! Apple wins.

Big surprise: the people who buy Macs buy them precisely because of what you call a "'perfect' configuration". Therefore, in order to debunk the common notion that Macs are overpriced for what they offer, you have to find comparable models, and therefore, that includes BTO'ing them to the very exact "'perfect' configuration". If you fail to do so, you fail to make a fair comparison.

Whether these comparisons prove that Dell's BTO prices are as equally inflated as Apple's BTO prices is irrelevant, because the comparisons aren't meant to display that to begin with.

Quote:

My idea of a fair comparison would be to take a sample (1 and up) of real-life user needs,

Guess what: everyone has their own preferences, resources and needs.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:

It's interesting how these comparisons invariably work. The Apple computer represents a "perfect" configuration the other computer has to match, part for part. Then the other computer is heavily BTO'ed to match the stock Apple. Big surprise! Apple wins. An equally biased way would be to take a Dell/Lenovo/etc stock model and start BTO'ing Apple computers to match them part for part, no matter how prohitibively expensive that is. Naturally Apple doesn't have as big a selection, so they would not just seem more expensive, but often lose by default because they cannot come anywhere close to the other computer's configuration.

Let's try the other way. Source: lenovo.com

Lenovo 3000 N100 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2GHz, 4MBL2, 667MHzFSB)

Edit\t\t0768AJU\t\t$1,599.00\t\t1\t\t$1,599.00

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2GHz, 4MBL2, 667MHzFSB)

Operating system: Genuine Windows XP Professional

Display type: 15.4 inch WSXGA+ VibrantView TFT with integrated camera (1680x1050) (Premium Silver)\t\t\t\t\t\t1\t\t

System graphics: 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 with Turbo Cache

Total memory: 2GB PC2-5300DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive: 120GB, 5400rpm Serial ATA

Optical device: 8X Max DVD Recordable (Dual Layer) EIDE Fixed Media Bay drive

Wireless cards: Lenovo 11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless

Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth PAN

Low end Powerbook costs $550 more after adding the equivalent 2GB memory, but still has worse display resolution. There's no way to twist this into an Apple win.

I'm not trying to say Powerbooks aren't worth it. I'm trying to say the original poster's comparison, and most other comparisons made on these forums, are rigged in their basic assumptions to virtually guarantee an Apple win by using the Apple stock models as the target.

My idea of a fair comparison would be to take a sample (1 and up) of real-life user needs, and make a comparison using those needs as the target both for the Windows PC and the Mac. The result would be specific to this target, of course, and not a blanket verdict.

True. Thats a good offer. Lenovo and other companies like Acer or Asus sell cheaper, but equally equipped, laptops than apple.

In this case, apple has a faster processor though, and the price difference between a 2.0 and 2.16 is quite big, at least a few hundred bucks. The Macbook also has a better graphics card. But then the lenovo has a bigger HD and higher res.

But anyway, DELL and IBM are more expensive than apple...And somehow DELL, Apple, Sony and IBM are in a different category, than Asus, Acer, Lenovo and the like...(I know that lenovo now produces IBM laptops, but still)

well not that it matters alot, but its nice to have an example to show, when people asks.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Hate to nit pick but IBM do not make or sell PCs or PC laptops. They sold the Thinkpad line to Lenovo. If you want Blue Genie then that's a different story.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Big surprise: the people who buy Macs buy them precisely because of what you call a "'perfect' configuration".

Uh, no.

You have a set of requirements for a product. If a product fills those requirements it is "perfect", To make a buy decision, you fit the avaialble products to those requirements, and the best fitting product gets the nod. Mostly it is not perfect.

Nevermind perfect, the stock Apple models have never even been the best fit for me: all three machines I've bought I have BTO'ed or modified right after purchase (when equivalent BTO option was overpriced).

Just for an example, suppose what you'd really want is high resolution internal display, DVI out and 2GB memory. Other desired features and price have limited your choice to the above Lenovo 3000 N100 and 15" PB. Neither is perfect, you can't get DVI out in the N100, nor high resolution in the PB. For accurate comparison you have to look at the N100 with the missing DVI port, the 15" PB BTO'ed to 2GB with the missing resolution, their price difference, and decide on that.

Quote:

Therefore, in order to debunk the common notion that Macs are overpriced for what they offer, you have to find comparable models, and therefore, that includes BTO'ing them to the very exact "'perfect' configuration". If you fail to do so, you fail to make a fair comparison.

The very notion that you can blanket prove that "Macs are overpriced" or vice versa is misguided. You can prove that Macs are not overpriced for specific target requirements.

But, if you use any particular product specification as your requirements verbatim, you are going to get a totally unrealistic comparison because real requirements are not that detailed. I want a machine that is fast enough for job X, or perhaps a machine with best price/performance for job X, not a machine with 2GHz Core 2 Duo. If I can save $200 by having a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo instead, I will, and so will most of the people offered this choice because they're functionally equivalent. No one's going to notice the difference, but they will notice the $200 difference. By your logic, however, a "fair" comparison should include 2GHz Core 2 Duo BTO in the other machine even though most people would rather not have it. When you do that, you're projecting a weakness of your artificial target (the Mac specification) onto the other computer, giving the Mac a free win.

I dig Macs, so naturally I think they will win many (but nowhere near all) reasonable comparisons. There are sets of reasonable requirements that will result in total loss for the Macs. For instance, try the sole requirement of "must have faster than Radeon X1600 graphics".
    Quote:

Guess what: everyone has their own preferences, resources and needs.

No need to guess. I said that in the post you replied to.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Koodari

The result would be specific to this target, of course, and not a blanket verdict.

• Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

But, if you use any particular product specification as your requirements verbatim, you are going to get a totally unrealistic comparison because real requirements are not that detailed. I want a machine that is fast enough for job X, or perhaps a machine with best price/performance for job X, not a machine with 2GHz Core 2 Duo.

Fair enough. I want a machine no thicker than 1.2 inches and no heavier than 6 lbs, with a dedicated graphics card, FireWire, USB 2.0, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, 802.11g, a 15.4-inch screen with a resolution of 1440x900 or (better yet) higher, an ExpressCard slot, Gigabit Ethernet, dual-link DVI out, a DVD burner and optical audio in and out.

The only specs I actually gave were maximum thickness and weight, minimum screen resolution and the rough screen size. The rest is crucial feature bullet points.

Good luck finding me a machine significantly below the MacBook Pro's price point.