Apple's iPod king of consumer electronics again in '06

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer's iPod remained king of consumer electronics in 2006, according to an annual list of bestselling products released Thursday by online retailer Amazon.com.

For the third straight year, the chic digital music players captured top honors under multiple categorizations, including the bestselling consumer electronics gadget overall throughout the year.

Apple's 30GB fifh-generation video iPod attained dual accolades. It was the most frequently purchased electronics gift in 2006, while the black-colored model was also awarded the title of the "most wished-for gift" -- appearing most often on the Wish Lists of Amazon customers in 2006.

Last year, the 2GB black iPod nano bested all other gadgets in the bestsellers category while the 20GB video iPod was the most requested electronics item by the reseller's customers. The 512MB first-generation iPod shuffle also took honors as the most frequently purchased electronics gift.

As of Thursday evening, Apple's Mac line was also the most prominent PC brand listed on Amazon's list of top selling computers. Macs dominated the upper echelon of the rankings with six out of the top ten spots, including the No. 1 and No. 2 positions overall.

In a report released earlier this week, market share research firm Hitwise suggested that strong holiday sales of iPods caused an incredible surge in traffic to portions of Apple.com. The firm said traffic to the company's iTunes website on Christmas Day was up 413 percent when compared to last Christmas, as surfers wielding new iPods flocked to the web to download iTunes.

The flood of new users was also enough to overwhelm the company's iTunes Store for a period of about 48 hours, according the Associated Press. The media outlet reported Wednesday that a wave of new iPod- and iTunes gift card-bearing customers caused sporadic error messages and long delays for some shoppers who were trying to download songs.

"Some financial analysts said the interruption could be viewed as a sign that sales dramatically exceeded the Cupertino-based company's own forecasts," the AP said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Finally some good news amongst the stock options affair and frankly bizarre Sony CyberShot news
  • Reply 2 of 42
    yeah ok...

...but where did the cybershot rank??
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

Finally some good news amongst the stock options affair and frankly bizarre Sony CyberShot news

Yeah, great news Steve.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Yep, looks like Apple sold a Brazillion iPods, gift cards, MacBooks and iMacs. Cool. Earnings should be gangbuster.

So, Apple announces its restatement deal after the bell on Friday and the stock market is closed for 4 days. Plenty of time to digest that thing. MWSF is a week after the stock market opens for the first time in the shiny new year. Earnings a week after that. I'm hoping to see AAPL back into the 90s. 8)
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Yep, looks like Apple sold a Brazillion iPods, gift cards, MacBooks and iMacs. Cool. Earnings should be gangbuster.

So, Apple announces its restatement deal after the bell on Friday and the stock market is closed for 4 days. Plenty of time to digest that thing. MWSF is a week after the stock market opens for the first time in the shiny new year. Earnings a week after that. I'm hoping to see AAPL back into the 90s. 8)

As long as Steve doesn't end up in federal prison by then. I keed, I keed!
  • Reply 6 of 42
    I felt it. I got a 25 dollar iTunes card for christmas and it took several minutes to put into my account, and then I got an error when I tried to download the album I wanted.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Bullshit.

iTunes Store traffic is the DUE to CUMULATIVE SALES of all iPods sold up until now and NOT ONLY THE ONES in this quarter.

Analists are liars and actually I was expecting at least double that traffic, remember the number of ipods sold during 2006 was more than ALL OTHER YEARS. Simple algebra.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Sweet...
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy View Post

Bullshit.

iTunes Store traffic is the DUE to CUMULATIVE SALES of all iPods sold up until now and NOT ONLY THE ONES in this quarter.

Analists are liars and actually I was expecting at least double that traffic, remember the number of ipods sold during 2006 was more than ALL OTHER YEARS. Simple algebra.

Well, a lot of the iPods sold during this quarter were unwrapped, opened, and played with all on one specific day. Which is the same day that the store was havings its problems.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    And lllloooong may it reign. So when do we start the "Get Steve Jobs Out of Jail" fund going... 8)

Hah. You'd all better punch out at $80 and take what you can get. Then re-buy everything at $70 or so after the fiasco, if Steve Jobs aint looking over his shoulder in some California prison shower. Free iPods and MacBooks for all inmates!!!11!!!

Father, forgive me my transgressions with such slander I have made against the iLeader...
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil Maneker View Post

Well, a lot of the iPods sold during this quarter were unwrapped, opened, and played with all on one specific day. Which is the same day that the store was havings its problems.

My SRSuperDuperNeverWrong Analyst Institute is modelling 20 million iPods sold in Oct-Dec 2006 quarter (Financial year 2007 Q1). 8)
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Father, forgive me my transgressions with such slander I have made against the iLeader...

Quick... beat him with a bag of oranges!!!
  • Reply 13 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    - I wonder if Apple will be up to #3 in the OEM market quarter?

- Check out the Zune's jump to #17 on Amazon's rankings after they lowered the price by $20.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Finally some good news for apple, and its investors!

P.S. Is it just me or does "fifh-generation" look like it is misspelled? shouldn't it be "fifth-generation"?
  • Reply 15 of 42
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quick... beat him with a bag of oranges!!!

Bing Crosby Says: "That's right Peter, and if your kids give you any lip you can beat them with a sack of sweet Velencia Oranges. They won't leave a bruise and it'll let 'em know who's boss, there's nooo doubt about it." [Family Guy, A Picture is Worth a Thousand Bucks]
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil Maneker View Post

Sure. I agree ! My point was just that the 400 % plus increase is just a manipulation quote.

Average traffic in ALL MONTHS in 2006 on the iTunes Store was, at least, 300 % higher than in 2005.

So this peak in Xmas Day is not THAT significant.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    im glad i hung on to my AAPL shares, they bounced back pretty well today
  • Reply 18 of 42
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Sure. I agree ! My point was just that the 400 % plus increase is just a manipulation quote.

Average traffic in ALL MONTHS in 2006 on the iTunes Store was, at least, 300 % higher than in 2005.

So this peak in Xmas Day is not THAT significant.

Hey, where'd that 300% come from?

And isn't there a whole other 100% that must then be accounted for (i.e. a whole group of new users from the XMas season?)

And don't forget that you're average traffic information doesn't count, as that averages in the highs and lows for the entire year, and not taking anything into account on specific events. (Not to mention the fact that analysts always look at numbers based on a year ago last whatever - day, week, month, quarter) not entire year-long stats.

But, when you look at it, then what you're saying is that Apple's iTMS is in such shambles and sitting on thin ice that the small number of new owners and gift card bearers that tried to connect on xmas brought the whole system to its knees? That's not a good sign.

And it would also imply, then, that since you thought the percentages would be greater that its actually a bad sign for apple (maybe they didn't see a spike of new sales this quarter) and the stock is going to take a bath?

Man, you really are depressing us around here.....
  • Reply 19 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Bullshit.

The numbers are from this quarter. The reason why they are so high is because Apple no longer includes a disk of software. You now have to go to their site to download it before installing the iPod. It's pretty simple.

Sales are up by 20 to 30% over last year, most likely.

Also sales of gift cards were up .

Analysts have no need to lie about this. They may be mistaken at times, as you are now.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Hey, where'd that 300% come from?

And isn't there a whole other 100% that must then be accounted for (i.e. a whole group of new users from the XMas season?)

And don't forget that you're average traffic information doesn't count, as that averages in the highs and lows for the entire year, and not taking anything into account on specific events. (Not to mention the fact that analysts always look at numbers based on a year ago last whatever - day, week, month, quarter) not entire year-long stats.

But, when you look at it, then what you're saying is that Apple's iTMS is in such shambles and sitting on thin ice that the small number of new owners and gift card bearers that tried to connect on xmas brought the whole system to its knees? That's not a good sign.

And it would also imply, then, that since you thought the percentages would be greater that its actually a bad sign for apple (maybe they didn't see a spike of new sales this quarter) and the stock is going to take a bath?

Man, you really are depressing us around here.....

Sorry, I am not negative on the iTMS and I am also a long AAPL shareholder.

In fact I am very optimistic on AAPL and Apple as a company.

But what I am saying is that the ITMS traffic is a trailing cumulative average regarding iPod sales; What this means is that, as we progress in time the traffic of iTMS downloads is the sum of PAST iPod sales and iusers and not just the current quarter ones.

If the sales in iTMS are always accelerating (as they are) its because past users and new ones are accessing it.Even if the current quarter was bad in terms of iPOD sales the iTMS traffic would still accelerate... A spreadsheet will easily illustrate this.

My point is only that the peak in iTMS in Xmas is NEVER a good indication of current quarter iPOD sales ( but a good on Song Sales)

I called Bullshit on the facr that these analysts never took the trouble to look at the numbers and cry " Wolf !" at any data that surfaces, that's all.

BTW. I predict sales of iPODS, this quarter, will easily fall between 17 and 19 million units.