"There is one more thing..."(TM)

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 85
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post


    Might be stupid, unless you're a Mac mini owner who is happy with their display (eliminating the iMac) and wants to upgrade. Considers the MacPro too expensive (or too large) and therefore has nothing to buy. So what is Apple going to do with all of these customers? Leave them to Dell?



    I use a PB with a 23" Display in the office and don't want either the mini or the MacPro, but would look at something more powerful than the mini and smaller than the MP. Right now I have nothing to buy from Apple, so I'll stay with the PB.



    The PB works for you, so obviously there is no need for a Desktop. Added Bonus, you can take the Office with you. 8)



    Sebastian
  • Reply 42 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post


    Well, seeing as Jobs likes to keep it short and there's already a long list



    (iLife

    iWork

    .Mac

    huge mac mini refresh

    iTV release

    leopard update)



    I am starting to think the iPhone will be released oustide of MacWorld. It's just too much to cram into 20 minutes.



    I think the "one more thing" will be the full screen iPod.



    -=|Mgkwho



    Although I agree that releasing so many things in a short amount of time (and still talking about leopard) cannot really happen, I disagree about the full screen Ipod. I think the one more thing has to be the iPhone. If it isn't, Apple's stock will take a major plummet, and a lot of people will be dissapointed. The iPhone anticipation has been built for a long time now, and I think it's reaching its peak. If Apple doesn't do something, they're going to upset their fanbase.
  • Reply 43 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post


    The PB works for you, so obviously there is no need for a Desktop. Added Bonus, you can take the Office with you. 8)



    Sebastian



    It does work, but I would consider a mid level headless simply because I don't like taking everything (especially the accounting app & data) with me when I go on business trips. I don't see a benefit in buying a mini and don't want to spend the money for a MacPro - or have a huge tower.



    The most important market, however, is to provide an upgrade path for Mac mini users who like their display and don't want to spend the money for a MacPro. I say switch 'em and then keep 'em.
  • Reply 44 of 85
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    Quote:

    The most important market, however, is to provide an upgrade path for Mac mini users who like their display and don't want to spend the money for a MacPro. I say switch 'em and then keep 'em.



    Agreed.



    The MacPro is not a step upgrade from the Mini . . . its far too big a leap.
  • Reply 45 of 85
    For those of you who want a headless mac, why not just invest in a macbook or macbook pro. You could plug in a display, get a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and have the option of carrying around your desktop with you. It would probably end up to be close to the same price and specs of your desired xMac, but have the added functionality of a laptop. Of course, I could be missing something, so if there's a reason against this, then tell me.
  • Reply 46 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Jeff View Post


    For those of you who want a headless mac, why not just invest in a macbook or macbook pro. You could plug in a display, get a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and have the option of carrying around your desktop with you. It would probably end up to be close to the same price and specs of your desired xMac, but have the added functionality of a laptop. Of course, I could be missing something, so if there's a reason against this, then tell me.



    One of the reasons for the xMac is expandability. Replacing the CPU, adding PCI Express cards, replacing the GPU, etc? You can't do that with a laptop.



    Plus an xMac would be cheaper and CPU/GPU faster than a MacBook Pro given the way component pricing works. And you would be able to keep using the same screen whereas with an iMac you lose the screen when you toss the computer.



    I'm not one that argues for it, particularly, but I can see why people want it. Apple really doesn't offer a desktop like every other computer makes on the planet:



    They have a laptop in screenless form?Mac mini

    They have an all-in-one form factor?iMac

    They don't have a desktop?xMac (my version=screenless iMac, GPU/CPU replaceable/1 or 2 left over PCI Express slots)

    They have a powerful workstation?Mac Pro



    It's an obvious gap. Which is why the xMac spurs hundred page discussions here and at places like Ars. It is however really really hard to get everyone to agree on what a xMac should be which is one of the reasons for the ongoing arguments.
  • Reply 47 of 85
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    "Wrong number. BOOM!"



    The hall erupts in a hail of gunfire into the ceiling followed by panicky short-sellers running to call their brokers.



  • Reply 48 of 85
    given the options scandel, etc., I think that at this point if it's an "iPhone" the funniest thing to do as a 'one more thing' would be to have the phone ring, Steve answers and just screams "SELL! SELL! SELL!", hangs up and walks off stage.



    after about a minute he walks back onstage and introduces the "iPhone"
  • Reply 49 of 85
    Bah! The ApplePhone is so overhyped at this point, Steve should kill it just out of spite.
  • Reply 50 of 85
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post


    A "clear entry" key on the Calculator.app.



    Steve Jobs: "A lot of people worked for 23 years on this, and we think it's fantastic."



    C, and CA are standard on most calculatrors. I don't know why Apple never included it.



    The plain "C" would be "Clear Entry", and "CA" would be "Clear All".
  • Reply 51 of 85
    the theme of the '07 keynote is 10.5.

    so, any überGadget will get that out of focus...

    and I'm pretty sure, Steve wants 10.5. in the press and no "finally Apple showed ..., analysts are disappointed because... stocks fall 5% ..."



    ... I believe, 10.5. new features will be the ground for "year of optical" .. videoPodcasts+videoChat+video.google integration into .mac+iTV+videoPod ... (<< which is the OMT)



    iPhone? in summer '07 ...



    ceterum censeo:

    telephony is a feature, no device ...
  • Reply 52 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic View Post


    the theme of the '07 keynote is 10.5.

    so, any überGadget will get that out of focus...

    and I'm pretty sure, Steve wants 10.5. in the press and no "finally Apple showed ..., analysts are disappointed because... stocks fall 5% ..."



    ... I believe, 10.5. new features will be the ground for "year of optical" .. videoPodcasts+videoChat+video.google integration into .mac+iTV+videoPod ... (<< which is the OMT)



    iPhone? in summer '07 ...



    ceterum censeo:

    telephony is a feature, no device ...



    I disagree, the theme of this MacWorld will be the newly branded iTV device. 10.5 will most likely not be released and Apple will want to stand out from the MicroSoft OS release by highlighting products other than a yet to be released OS.
  • Reply 53 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post


    I disagree, the theme of this MacWorld will be the newly branded iTV device. 10.5 will most likely not be released and Apple will want to stand out from the MicroSoft OS release by highlighting products other than a yet to be released OS.



    good point.

    they will NOT show a "naked" OS...

    and the eye-candy of that timemachine app is burned allready...



    the success of iPod was based on integration of soft- AND hardware...

    a journalist wants to hold something in his hands, not a disk with a manual "new features" ...



    a videoPod, or a iTVbox... we will see.. the 9th will be an exciting evening (here) ..
  • Reply 54 of 85
    From what I can tell by what I have read reciently is that 10.5 will not be ready. MicroSoft will have their next OS ready for release in January. So Apple can try to show off an unfinished OS to compete for press coverage or try to get that attention with other news. I think that they will do the latter, and the evidence points to this as well. They will spend a good amount of time with the rebranded product with the code name iTV, hopefully with a number of new studio's on board. This is where they can shine right now, and with the news of iTunes being overloaded with users after Christmass and Apple topping online sales for Amazon this is where thier attention should be, adding bandwidth and content. This is also where the major battle in online entertainment will be next year, and the Press will be paying attention to the developments here.



    Apple will probably release 10.4.9 around this time adding any functions that they need to to make iTV shine. Front Row will be updated, and anything that they need to get the iTV working with Windows (iTunes update?, Front Row for Windows?, whatever) will be available for download or announced for future release.



    It think that there has to be some Mac related hardware announced, what it wil be I don't know. I would expect desktops over laptops. Most likely with the consumer focus of the show would be the MacMini or iMac. The MacPro should probably be updated first, but I'm not sure if Intel will actually have chips ready for Apple to update it at this time. Same goes with the iMac. There is room for the Mini to go to Core2Duo.



    Signs do point to an updat to monitors, and Apple needs it. This also suggests that Apple will anounce at least one system that will be able to use the new monitors.



    iLife and iWork are typically anounced in SF, but Apple could hold out till the spring release of 10.5 for these other than what is needed to support iTV (iTunes/Front Row).



    The Cell Phone, Apple hasn't confirmed rumors of it and analysts have been wrong before. Apple's stock may take a hit, but I think that if it is cominig it will be at it's own press function later in the year. Steve has already said that iTV will be talked about it SF I believe and two new major products is just too much for one event. I guess there is the off chance that they may show it off much like they did with iTV, but I woulnd't expect more than that. It would be better for them to hold off till mid February, say around Valentines day, and have a press event for this after the January product releases from MS and Apple are loosing the medias interest.
  • Reply 55 of 85
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow


    Apple will probably release 10.4.9 around this time adding any functions that they need to to make iTV shine. Front Row will be updated, and anything that they need to get the iTV working with Windows (iTunes update?, Front Row for Windows?, whatever) will be available for download or announced for future release.



    Frontrow just runs off of Quicktime/DVD Player/iTunes/iPhoto in the background. Those will be updated for Frontrow, but considering iTunes 7 now handles all syncing with the iPod, I can expect the same with the iTV. I read a really good series of articles about the iTunes platform on Roughlydrafted recently. Let me see if I can find it. But basically Frontrow is just a Graphical shell, and nothing more.



    OK I found it, it's here and I highly recommend it.



    Sebastian
  • Reply 56 of 85
    Higher res screens with smaller pixels would be, eh, acceptable.











    Ooo, Ooo, and a web browser that saves text nice too.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post


    given the options scandel, etc., I think that at this point if it's an "iPhone" the funniest thing to do as a 'one more thing' would be to have the phone ring, Steve answers and just screams "SELL! SELL! SELL!", hangs up and walks off stage.



    after about a minute he walks back onstage and introduces the "iPhone"













    HA! I'd pay money to see that.
  • Reply 58 of 85
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post


    HA! I'd pay money to see that.



    Um... if you're going to the Keynote you kind of have to anyways \



    Sebastian
  • Reply 59 of 85
    Wait, where does it say the keynote is only 20 minutes?



    Because usually, they are longer than that, aren't they?
  • Reply 60 of 85
    Keynotes have been known to stretch to an hour.

    A phone is already under manufacture in China, so it's just a matter of previewing for future release vs. on sale immediately.



    Here's a "rumor" site's view of what will be release (no phone):



    http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...ress-26143.php
Sign In or Register to comment.