New Sony Cyber-shot S-series digital cams revealed

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

They would if Toyota bought Apple. Which is basically what happened when Sony bought Minolta... or did you miss that detail?

That's for DSLRs (the Sony Alpha brand). This camera is compact, and Sony's compact cameras (Cybershot) are completely unrelated to KonicaMinolta.
  • Reply 62 of 106
    Quote:

So far.

Did you forget that KM made compact cameras too? Mightn't Sony benefit from that technology?

No, they "mightn't", because they didn't buy that R&D.

KM ceased production, but they didn't sell their knowledge.

Quote:

And the CyberShots have been using Zeiss glass for a long time. Not to mention that the CCDs in your Nikons and Canons are made by... that's right... Sony.

Your point being?

I didn't bash Sony; I merely pointed out that there is no correlation whatsoever between this Cybershot S700 and KonicaMinolta. The Alpha is a wholly different product line. The CCDs are a wholly different production area.
  • Reply 63 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

You guys are extremely harsh and, to some extent, down right insulting. The images and information turned up in a filing with the FCC. It's an unreleased Sony camera in which we thought some readers might be interested. There's no 'payoff' or other incentive behind the article.

The last time we checked, a lot of our readers owned digital cameras. Considering Apple authors applications like iPhoto and Aperture but does not manufacturer a digital camera, we figured some people may own or be looking into a Sony.

If you don't care about Sony cameras then don't read the article. The title was clear. It was not misleading. If you think the information we publish here is 'dumb' and 'irrelevant' then don't read it. If you feel another publication offers a better experience, then, by all means, go there. It's simple. We don't hold our readers to anything.

Kasper

Well Appleinsider, I think the reason for our 'reactions' is that the post felt very off-topic for an otherwise strictly Apple site. Us readers hold You in high regard for only posting news that are directly to Apple. There are many other websites that post news in a mix of Apple and other brands, but we visit Appleinsider so that we get the 'creme de la creme' and don't have to worry about being exposed to uninteresting news (considering our primary interest lies in Apple). Yes I own a digital camera, but also a printer, LCD-screen, walkman-phone, external harddrives etc. That doesn't mean I'm interested in reading about it/them here. Many of the harsch reactions our probably based on fear of Appleinsider turning into one of those sites that we have learned to avoid. You ain't broke, so don't fix yourself! Keep in doing what you have been doing and we'll keep on visiting as we have been doing!

PS. Yes the connection with MacWorld was really lame, you have to admit at least that...
  • Reply 64 of 106
    Quote:

Really? It doesn't really matter much to me, and I'm not a Sony "Fanboy" (though I love my Alpha), but I was under the impression that Sony bought the entire KM camera division, leaving mainly just the copiers. As I understand it, that "camera division" would include all photography related products. KM didn't have two camera divisions...

Hmm?

Press Release

Quote:

Partial Transfer of Certain Assets Related to Digital SLR cameras

I think that headline says it all.

Quote:

they have decided to transfer a certain portion of Konica Minolta PI ?s assets related to digital SLR cameras to Sony

Quote:

Sony will receive certain assets from Konica Minolta PI that are necessary for the development, design, production and so forth of digital SLR cameras compatible with Konica Minolta PI?s ?Maxxum/Dynax lens mount system?

Quote:

Konica Minolta Group will concentrate on its core ?business technologies? field and its strategic ?optics and display devices? field and withdraw from camera business*** as of March 31, 2006. At the same time, Konica Minolta PI will partially transfer certain assets related to digital SLR cameras to Sony.

From April 1 2006, Konica Minolta PI will consign the customer service operations for Konica Minolta cameras and related products* to Sony, and Sony will implement service operations from that date onward.

So I understand Sony will handle support for all Konica Minolta cameras, but has only received R&D related to their DSLR ones.

Quote:

Sony didn't just buy the A-Mount system. They bought the whole shebang.

The press release seems to contradict that.

Quote:

Sony actually makes pretty good digital cameras. Read the reviews of the S600 (the predecessor to the one this story is about)! Some even say it was the best $200 camera of 2006.

Honestly, I have nothing against their digital cameras, nor am I trying to be argumentative; just curious.
  • Reply 65 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

So, really, this has nothing to do with Apple at all. Appleinsider is really clutching at straws for stories applicable to Apple if they are talking about another trade show that just happens to be in the same week as Macworld.

And I don't understand why anyone would buy a camera from Sony anyway. Would you buy a computer made by Toyota? How about a TV made by Nokia? Then if you're going to buy a camera, buy one from a camera maker: Nikon, Canon, etc. It's their business to make cameras, so you can be sure that they make good ones!

Sony is one of world's largest camera sensor manufacturers. They provide CCD chips to Nikon and Pentax. Kodak may be the only company to rival their volume.

Edit:

Sony has been making CCDs well before their purchase of Konica-Minolta.
  • Reply 66 of 106
    I've read the article, I've read this thread and Kaspers post, and I'm as confused as anyone. This is an Apple related site, it says so in the name. If this was on a general tech site like Engadget, no problem, but this has no relevance to Apple or Mac users, apart from the very tenuous link stated that we have computers and some of us have Sony cameras. I'll still read this site and I'm not going to boycott the place and tell everybody its evil, but if you want to post this stuff then maybe have an Off Topic or Other News section, but leave it off the main links.

In other news, I'm a Mac user, and Mac users eat food, so I'm going to get some dinner now .
  • Reply 67 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LiquidR View Post

Sony is one of world's largest camera sensor manufacturers. They provide CCD chips to Nikon and Pentax. Kodak may be the only company to rival their volume.

Edit:

Sony has been making CCDs well before their purchase of Konica-Minolta.

Nobody is disputing any of that.
  • Reply 68 of 106
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

In other news, I'm a Mac user, and Mac users eat food, so I'm going to get some dinner now .

At nine in the morning?

edit: oops i realized you live in the uk.

• Reply 69 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Denton's original post seemed to be ignorant of Sony's involvment in the digital camera industry. All the subseqeunt posts seemed to imply that Sony bought their CCD tech from KM.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riddick View Post

This could be an 'April fool's joke' since 28th of dec is the date for pranks in the hispanic community (or something like that). Appleinsider may very well be sitting and laughing at this thread as we speak.

nahh, while dec 28 IS dia de los santos inocentes, i think this just has more to do with apple insider editors being sony camera fanboys.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The C3/64 thing is reasonably relevant. It would seem that Adobe is too risk-averse for its own good.

That Article pissed me off and it should be the type of thing Ai should be writing about... Love the part about how Adobe thinks Mac OS X isn't fully 64-bit.. it's been 64 bit for 2 yrs now, and with Leopard on the horizon, where is Adobe's head!??

http://news.com.com/2061-10791_3-6146229.html?tag=tb
  • Reply 72 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

That Article pissed me off and it should be the type of thing Ai should be writing about... Love the part about how Adobe thinks Mac OS X isn't fully 64-bit.. it's been 64 bit for 2 yrs now, and with Leopard on the horizon, where is Adobe's head!??

My understanding is that Tiger has 64 bit available as a back end, but not for the front end. It was mainly useful for scientific computing and such. Leopard is supposed to complete the loop.
  • Reply 73 of 106
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If we're talking cameras, why not talk pretty ones, like the NV10;

(my baby)
  • Reply 74 of 106
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    If a new member had posted this story, he would have been suspected of spamming and stealth marketing. That this comes from AI is shocking. You should ban yourself. With the reasoning you gave, one could justify posting a press release for autos. After all, iPods are big sellers and people will want to listen to them in their cars. Apple makes many portable devices and almost everyone who uses them also drives a car. Why not post on the latest in active wear since many iPod nano users are into running and exercise. Sure, I like to be informed about the latest technology breakthroughs. But how is this camera series a breakthrough? What about these cameras makes them newsworthy?

In short, you need to explain the relevance of the story or lock it. Blaming your readers for pointing this out is a good way to lose credibility and members. If you do not care about that, then by all means, do nothing.
  • Reply 75 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Canon is, by far, the largest maker and seller of digital cameras. They make most of their own chips, despite an ill advised foray into Sony chips a few years ago.

Therefore, they are also one of the largest sensor makers.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

http://news.com.com/2061-10791_3-6146229.html?tag=tb

Adobe is right. OS version 10.4 is not completely 64 bt, only parts are. 10.5 will be far more complete.
  • Reply 77 of 106
    Why was this posted? This is not Apple news. No news is better than unrelated news. This site has been very strictly Apple related in the past, I don't see how this product release has anything to do with Apple since Apple does not make hand held cameras and there no rumors of this ever happening other than maybe the mobile phone device with iSight, but that can't really be compared to a 10mp point and shoot.

If Sony is a sponsor of yours, let us know, but this sort of unrelated journalism will only drive viewers away.
  • Reply 78 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Adobe is right. OS version 10.4 is not completely 64 bt, only parts are. 10.5 will be far more complete.

Yes, only libSystem is 64-bit in 10.4.
  • Reply 79 of 106
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Our operatives have been able to uncover breaking news that Avocados are on sale at Kroger.

This is deemed as high interest because recent polling has shown that most AppleInsider readers eat food, and lets face it, "apple" is best known as a fruit, a close kin to an avocado affording the tie-in with "AppleInsider".

http://atlanta.inserts2online.com/cu...drpStoreID=448

In a related news flash, Kroger is not expected to present at the upcoming Macworld conference.
  • Reply 80 of 106
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Our operatives have been able to uncover breaking news that Avocados are on sale at Kroger.

This is deemed as high interest because recent polling has shown that most AppleInsider readers eat food, and lets face it, "apple" is best known as a fruit, a close kin to an avocado affording the tie-in with "AppleInsider".

http://atlanta.inserts2online.com/cu...drpStoreID=448

In a related news flash, Kroger is not expected to present at the upcoming Macworld conference.

humour. har.