Help!!! (Macbook vs. Thinkpad)

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 83
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Oopsie. I didn't read all the threads - too much tech-talk.

Good luck!

CJ

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Yup - thanks for that.

Doesn't help me with my current concern, although I do appreciate the time spent in response.

cheers, r

• Reply 82 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Yup - thanks for that.

Doesn't help me with my current concern, although I do appreciate the time spent in response.

cheers, r

Rob,

There are a number of tools that you can use to either backup or clone or ghost your current image. However (and boy ima get one for this), if you are having multiple issues with the laptop BSOD then there is a good chance that something is wrong with the current OS. If you cloned or ghost a bad install (same as if you had a bad clone of OSX) then when you reload or restore you will still have crap.

The best practice would be to move your data from you "my docs" and wherever else the applications store data to an external hard drive and reload the OS. Then once you get a fresh OS, ghost your machine then.

Also, a very good (IMO) AV software that has a free trial is the M$ One Care for XP, lets you do all this from one applicaton.

Some features from there site:

Antivirus and antispyware scanners, managed, two-way firewall, and integrated anti-phishing technology, helps protect your computer from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, hackers, phishing, and other threats. It runs continuously in the background, but you can scan individual files and folders for viruses on demand simply by right-clicking them. You can even scan attachments you receive via Windows Live Messenger or MSN Messenger.

Regularly defragments your hard disk, removes any unnecessary files that can clog your PC, and helps make sure important security updates from Microsoft are installed efficiently and on time.

Regularly copies your important files and settings to CD, DVD, or external hard disk.

I have Once Care and it does everything for me. I was suprised when I lost a file and noticed that it backed my entire computer up to my external HD. I didn't even know it had this feature. At first I just thought it was AV software.
  • Reply 83 of 83
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Thanks, trailmaster !

Might look at another option I've been considering.

That is getting her a MBP and running parallels or a stand alone install of Windows, that way she'll have the best of both worlds (although as we know "best" is somewhat subjective and relative :-) depending on who's talking).

We ran a brief trial one day - dl'd the Citrix Client v7 for Mac and installed it on my pb.

The only issue we had on my Mac was printing from her company server - there may be some problem there but I didn't have time to look into it. If I can sort that out well we won't need Windows. But if I can't then there's the ability to run Windows native on a MBP so I think that's likely the best position to be in.

Great to have choices !

cheers, best for the New Year !