I am impressed (MBC2D Durability)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So this morning I was getting something for my daughter with one hand while holding my MB with another (perpendicular to the ground). The thing slipped out of my hand and feel two feet into the carpeted floor. It hit with right upper edge of the screen and made a sort of clapping sound (it was closed).

Well what do you know...no dents, no dings, and it works perfectly! Not so much as a loose hinge! Congrats to Apple on a very solid product. I really thought I may have trashed the drive with the shock, or at least shaken something loose.

Do others have similar stories?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    The day I got my MacBook my best friend came over to my office to check it out. He set it down on a pile of stuff. We walked away and it slid off the desk and fell 3 feet to the thinly carpeted slab floor. It was open and landed face down. The front right corner of the case has some cosmetic damage where the top piece of the palm rest doesn't quite sit perfectly in the case anymore. Still in perfect working order.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

The day I got my MacBook my best friend came over to my office to check it out. He set it down on a pile of stuff. We walked away and it slid off the desk and fell 3 feet to the thinly carpeted slab floor. It was open and landed face down. The front right corner of the case has some cosmetic damage where the top piece of the palm rest doesn't quite sit perfectly in the case anymore. Still in perfect working order.

You must have still been quite pissed about that though, your brand new macbook and on the first getting beat up. I would have been pissed about it. I would never let my baby be dropped!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I have had some bad luck with my powerbook g4 (1.5 GHz). One day while I was out skiing, I left my pb on the kitchen counter, and my sister trips over the cord and send the thing flying to the ground. The case somehow managed to dent outwards, but everything still worked fine. In another incident, I was getting into our Denali when my other sister pushes me and sends my poor lappy down to the pavement with a bang. Now the other side of the case is dented (outwards), but again, the laptop is still in perfect functioning order.

I really have to congratulate Apple on making such sturdy laptops, it is really amazing how much their computers can go through, and still work just like new.

Noah
  • Reply 4 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noah93 View Post

I have had some bad luck with my powerbook g4 (1.5 GHz). One day while I was out skiing, I left my pb on the kitchen counter, and my sister trips over the cord and send the thing flying to the ground. The case somehow managed to dent outwards, but everything still worked fine. In another incident, I was getting into our Denali when my other sister pushes me and sends my poor lappy down to the pavement with a bang. Now the other side of the case is dented (outwards), but again, the laptop is still in perfect functioning order.

I really have to congratulate Apple on making such sturdy laptops, it is really amazing how much their computers can go through, and still work just like new.

Noah

Not to mention that they've redesigned the power attachment to make sure that kind of accident doesn't happen any more.

The longer I have my MBPCD2 the more I realize Magsafe is a stroke of genius. It just looked sort of gimmicky when I read about it, but now I have to wonder why nobody thought of it before.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The longer I have my MBPCD2 the more I realize Magsafe is a stroke of genius. It just looked sort of gimmicky when I read about it, but now I have to wonder why nobody thought of it before.

Actually Microsoft thought of it before, or something similar, with the orignal Xbox controller cables.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Panasonic Toughbook eLite takes abuse and keeps on computing. Apple should do this for Macbooks targeted for education market.

Broadband required:

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...tion/index.asp
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Correction! My latch mechansim no longer works properly. I'll have to take it to the Apple Store tomorrow. DAMN. Still, not much damage for the fall it took.