Can you install Windows on an external hard drive partition?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys,

OK, officially I know it's not supposed to work to be able to install XP Pro on an external Firewire drive but all over the internet there have been posts claiming it can be done.

My question to anyone willing to help is this: can I install a copy of Windows onto an external drive partition? What I want to do is set up part of the external drive to serve as a backup of my Mac's data, part of it for a Linux install and then another part for a Windows install. Can this be done? Does anyone know how?

When I tried to install Windows, it recognized the external hard drive but none of the partitions. If at all possible it would be great if I could boot into both Windows and Linux but keep neither on my internal drive.

I'm running 10.4.8 on a Core Duo Mac Mini and it's a 320GB LaCie D2 Extreme drive currently connected by Firewire.

Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance,

-Sam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,209moderator
    You can install Windows on an external drive by modifying the installer CD but I don't think it's as easy to get a partitioned external to work. The only partitions the Intel Macs recognise for Windows is an MBR style partition and Disk Utility doesn't make those.

Unless you need 3D in Linux (like XGL) what I would do is run Linux through Parallels and just put Windows on the external or maybe get an external drive for each OS.

Having Windows on the same drive isn't that bad btw.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can install Windows on an external drive by modifying the installer CD but I don't think it's as easy to get a partitioned external to work. The only partitions the Intel Macs recognise for Windows is an MBR style partition and Disk Utility doesn't make those.

You can indeed make a MBR partition style hard disk. Go to Disk Utility, then click Partition and then the Options button. VoilÃ*!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

You can indeed make a MBR partition style hard disk. Go to Disk Utility, then click Partition and then the Options button. VoilÃ*!

He's got it. It actually isn't that complicated at all once you find it