Macbook Pro Locks (College Setting)

jvbjvb
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need a pretty good Macbook Pro compatible notebook lock that preferably someone knows works fairly well. I'm willing to spend around $50 if needed. I've looked around Newegg and there's a bunch but I honestly know nothing about their differences. Advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Here are two good options available through the Apple Store:

Kensington Slim MicroSaver Lock - $39.95

MicroSaver uses a unique security slot already built into the flat panel iMac, Titanium PowerBoook G4, G3 and iBook computers. Simply wrap the 6 foot galvanized steel cable around any immovable object, then insert the MicroSaver into the security slot and turn the key. That's it - simple and secure.

* 40% stronger security cable with aircraft-grade steel cable—powerful protection for notebook computers

* Patented T-bar lock provides most secure locking into Security Slot

* Superior lock and cable provides the industry standard for physical notebook computer security

* One piece design for ease of use

* A convenient velcro strap keeps MicroSaver compact No messy glue or screws or brackets—does not impact leased laptops for travel or storage.

Kensington MicroSaver Portable Notebook Combination Lock $24.95

For keyless security and portability, Kensington's MicroSaver Portable Combination Lock is the ideal solution. This lock rolls up like a tape measure.

The second one had a review that said, "Great for travel and amazing for college".

Both will be secure and both should be easy to use and portable.

Hope that helps!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Do not get the kensington lock that uses the barrel shaped key (first product pictured). They can be opened simply using a toilet paper tube rolled up, as shown in this video:

http://www.toool.nl/kensington623.wmv

It's a widely known hack that's been out in the wild for a couple years now. I suggest a combo based lock.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Ok, I'll look into that Combo lock posted above and a few others on Newegg. Thanks again, and any more advice would be appreciated!