Why buy from Apple.com??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Man o man I am kicking myself right now!!!!!

I decided after Christmas that I wanted a new MB C2D after playing with my moms CD MB. I was burned pretty bad after my first experience with the ibook logic board fiasco years ago, but decided that was then. Plus once you get the fever what can you do?

Be that as it may, I was very surprised at the speed increase and how snappy the OS was with the Intel port.

Once I got home I went to Apple.com and ordered my little jewel. 2.0 Ghz, 2gig ram, superdrive blah blah right. ( there is no apple store within 5-6 hours)

What the hell was I thinking? Why didn't I buy from MacMall or somewhere else that had them in stock?

Apple shipped the damn thing from China and its taking foooorrever to get here.

GAAAHAHHAHAHHAHA. I am an idiot!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

I decided after Christmas that I wanted a new MB C2D after playing with my moms CD MB. I was burned pretty bad after my first experience with the ibook logic board fiasco years ago, but decided that was then. Plus once you get the fever what can you do?

Be that as it may, I was very surprised at the speed increase and how snappy the OS was with the Intel port.

Once I got home I went to Apple.com and ordered my little jewel. 2.0 Ghz, 2gig ram, superdrive blah blah right. ( there is no apple store within 5-6 hours)

What the hell was I thinking? Why didn't I buy from MacMall or somewhere else that had them in stock?

1) Apple has free shipping.

2) Apple has excellent order handling and customer support.

3) Orders shipped from China get to you faster than orders shipped from California UNLESS you live on the west coast. If the laptop ships from Apple in California, it will take at least 5 business days to ship because it is for sure shipping ground. When computers ship from China, they usually ship it within a day (via an airplane = fast) to Anchorage or a small industrial island in the Philippines. In either case, these two locations then ship it to a regional FedEx location. For me this is Indianapolis which is 2 hours away. The total shipping takes ~3 days, maybe 4 max.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    steste Posts: 119member
    I ordered my customized 15" C2D MBP on December 14, and it arrived in New Orleans from Shanghai (via Anchorage, Indianapolis, and Memphis) on December 21. Pretty good, I thought.

My choice to order from Apple.com was made easier by the fact that I qualified for the educational discount -- I work for UNO -- but as far as I can tell, Apple don't check your credentials anyway. I considered ordering from Amazon, but they only stock the standard models, not the 160GB HD upgrade I wanted. Plus, the additional peace of mind in dealing directly with Apple was definitely a factor.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Buying from Apple online allows you to BTO and Apples' margins are higher. Government, corporate and education discounts also available. A disadvantage is Apple must collect sales taxes if you reside in a state where it has a presence.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    According to Apple.Com.Au buying from www.apple.com.au/store direct allows for returns, if for example there are dead pixels, or for any reason including you changed your mind. This is very difficult to do with local resellers, AFAIK. According to www.apple.com.au/store, somewhere in there, they mention, there's just a AUD $20 open box fee. That's what it looks like to me for the Australian online Apple store, there are no official Apple Stores in Australia, just resellers. Personally I haven't tried any returns though. Dead pixels are my greatest fear nowadays.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    I always buy from Apple.com just because I'm crazy about knowing exactly what I am getting with my fairly large purchase. One time I bought an IMac from Amazon, but everything else is directly from Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

I ordered my customized 15" C2D MBP on December 14, and it arrived in New Orleans from Shanghai (via Anchorage, Indianapolis, and Memphis) on December 21. Pretty good, I thought.

Last Apple order from China got to me (just outside Indianapolis) in 46 hours...the Memphis hop and/or the Tenn->NO hop must be slow.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    i am lucky to have 3 apple stores within 30 minutes so i have never had to order online
  • Reply 8 of 30
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    I ordered my ?Maggie? - 24-inch Intel Core 2 Duo iMac via Apple.com on September 6, 2006 - she shipped from Shanghai, China - I picked her up from the local (Southern California) FedEx location on September 15th - 9 days, and everything was perfect - I couldn?t be happier with my online purchase, although your mileage may vary 8). One of the advantages of ordering online, for me, was the ability to order the upgrades, options and features I wanted. When I bought "Genie" - 14-inch iBook G4, at the Apple store, I got the standard configuration across the board, which was OK, but decided I wanted the extras when I ordered "Maggie" .
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSin View Post

I ordered my ?Maggie? - 24-inch Intel Core 2 Duo iMac via Apple.com on September 6, 2006 - she shipped from Shanghai, China - I picked her up from the local (Southern California) FedEx location on September 15th - 9 days, and everything was perfect - I couldn?t be happier with my online purchase, although your mileage may vary 8). One of the advantages of ordering online, for me, was the ability to order the upgrades, options and features I wanted. When I bought "Genie" - 14-inch iBook G4, at the Apple store, I got the standard configuration across the board, which was OK, but decided I wanted the extras when I ordered "Maggie" .

Just like you, I like customizing and choosing exactly what I want. Thus, even though there is an Apple store about 45 minutes away from my place, I have always ordered from Apple.com. It never bothers me because they have free shipping anyways
  • Reply 10 of 30
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSin View Post

You actually NAME your computers? lol

I love my mac, but I think that might be a BIT excessive.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Depending on how many computers you own and/or manage, naming computers can be not only common, but also necessary. It is certainly preferable over numbering them.

Heck? http://earthlingsoft.net/ssp/blog/20...computer_names
  • Reply 12 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Yeah... and they're all girl names. Weirdness ensues.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah... and they're all girl names. Weirdness ensues.

How do you come up with the names?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I'd never name a personal computer. Maybe if I were an IT at a business with lots of computers I'd name THOSE computers.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

I'd never name a personal computer. Maybe if I were an IT at a business with lots of computers I'd name THOSE computers.

We name ours; Geographic Location/type/department/available#

But it still doesn't help that my MB is locked up in a dock an hour away and I can see it on the FedEx shipping page.....damn thing hasn't moved in 3 days due to the holidays

gah! i did something wrong in a former life i know it!
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

We name ours; Geographic Location/type/department/available#

But it still doesn't help that my MB is locked up in a dock an hour away and I can see it on the FedEx shipping page.....damn thing hasn't moved in 3 days due to the holidays

gah! i did something wrong in a former life i know it!

Don't you love the waiting game!
  • Reply 17 of 30
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

1) Apple has free shipping.

2) Apple has excellent order handling and customer support.

3) Orders shipped from China get to you faster than orders shipped from California UNLESS you live on the west coast. If the laptop ships from Apple in California, it will take at least 5 business days to ship because it is for sure shipping ground. When computers ship from China, they usually ship it within a day (via an airplane = fast) to Anchorage or a small industrial island in the Philippines. In either case, these two locations then ship it to a regional FedEx location. For me this is Indianapolis which is 2 hours away. The total shipping takes ~3 days, maybe 4 max.

I ordered my MBP on a Wednesday. I had it, direct from China, by Monday.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

This is why, also because Apple.com is well organized and not poorly designed

• Reply 19 of 30
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:

Sure, there's GalleyMac, GalleyPod, GalleyDrive Sr., GalleyDrive Jr., GalleyPhone and I drive a GalleyMobile.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Sure, there's GalleyMac, GalleyPod, GalleyDrive Sr., GalleyDrive Jr., GalleyPhone and I drive a GalleyMobile.

I named my Macbook "Lisa" in honor of the Lisa.

Sebastian