"There is one more thing..."(TM)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

and one more thing....

Steve: Our Keyboard department have finally got off their asses and put a USB2.0 hub in the keyboard. Boom.

Well it would be about time!

LOL It's definitely past-due.
  • Reply 62 of 85
    Keeping with the naming scheme of Apple's previous non-computer/non-ipod products I think the TV box currently planned will be called the Apple TV *something* or Apple *something* TV

Also I agree that this is not the time of year when apple usually announces new ipod products. Ipod enhancements will probably also be delayed since upgrading the line so soon after Christmas is probably not a smart move.

I can easily foresee a new product being announced that we haven't seen before. Something that none of the rumor sites have gotten whiff of, something just as closely secret as Intel-based OSX was.

I would say that since redmond is launching its Vista OS, Apple will probably announce a product that will steal away some of those would-be upgraders. Updates to Mac Pro line are anticipated and so is an update to the iMac family. Sticking a clovertown in a mac mini would have fans cheering as well.

What I'm thinking might be a possibility is an update to iTunes that allows you to rip DVDs into your iPod Video. Announcing a new widescreen iPod would put the icing on the cake.
  • Reply 63 of 85
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amerist

What I'm thinking might be a possibility is an update to iTunes that allows you to rip DVDs into your iPod Video. Announcing a new widescreen iPod would put the icing on the cake.

No, Nada, and not going to happen. Last I checked, DVD ripping is illegal here in the states. Don't know about anywhere else though.

Sebastian
  • Reply 64 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amerist View Post

Sticking a clovertown in a mac mini would have fans cheering as well.

Doing that would require a different form factor because the mini would probably be unable to dissipate the heat. And also, the cost of the Mac mini would skyrocket because the Clovertown is more expensive than what Apple is currently using.
  • Reply 65 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

...., DVD ripping is illegal here in the states. Don't know about anywhere else though.

hm, hmm ... I'm walking on very thin ice, me no lawyer, but laws speak of "overriding effective copyprotection mechanisms" ... it is NOT illegal to copy, but illegal to break the protection...

sooo, if the film industry/©owner shares its "keys" to Apple, and you have to pay additional 99¢ in iTS to rip your original dvd... ?

the dvd is the mass-storage-HighQuality-delivery-media, Apple/iTS + a fee is a LEGAL copy mechanism...

... an old idea of mine, ... but Steve isn't listening..
  • Reply 66 of 85
    I think the iPhone will have a media event for it's self.

With Macworld concentrating on Mac's only with an emphasis on New Mac Pro's,Mini and a new Ultra slim laptop. Also iTV with the annoucement that other countries can now access Movies etc not just the U.S. I think there will be no new iPod announcement.

The rest of the show will be software base like usuall with an emphasis on Lepoard.
  • Reply 67 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic View Post

hm, hmm ... I'm walking on very thin ice, me no lawyer, but laws speak of "overriding effective copyprotection mechanisms" ... it is NOT illegal to copy, but illegal to break the protection...

sooo, if the film industry/©owner shares its "keys" to Apple, and you have to pay additional 99¢ in iTS to rip your original dvd... ?

the dvd is the mass-storage-HighQuality-delivery-media, Apple/iTS + a fee is a LEGAL copy mechanism...

... an old idea of mine, ... but Steve isn't listening..

Well it kind of defeats the purpose of having you buy movies in iTunes. I'm not sure anyone would allow you to break the copy protection anyways. I'll admit, I have about as much respect for the laws involving DVD ripping as I do for the MPAA

Sebastian
  • Reply 68 of 85
    Steve: "Oh, and one more thing... we've been accused of an iTunes + iPod monopoly and we're being sued... uh, and another thing... boom."

That being said, I think the lawsuit will be crushed under the weight of counter-monopoly evidence.
  • Reply 69 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Well it kind of defeats the purpose of having you buy movies in iTunes. I'm not sure anyone would allow you to break the copy protection anyways. ...

well, if you buy the key, you don't brake the "lock" ... (lawyers have their own logic)

and Apple just sells a few kB digits... for 99¢.. good deal, less traffic then selling aacs...

and the Movie Industry still sells the DVD.. as delivery media ...

and the usual, well-known, well-established limitation:

one computer, up to 5 iTVs, up to 5 videoPods...
  • Reply 70 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic View Post

well, if you buy the key, you don't brake the "lock" ... (lawyers have their own logic)

and Apple just sells a few kB digits... for 99¢.. good deal, less traffic then selling aacs...

and the Movie Industry still sells the DVD.. as delivery media ...

and the usual, well-known, well-established limitation:

one computer, up to 5 iTVs, up to 5 videoPods...

Hmmmm... I think Lawyers and Consumers alike would agree on one thing here, They're not buying it.

Sebastian
  • Reply 71 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

Keynotes have been known to stretch to an hour.

A phone is already under manufacture in China, so it's just a matter of previewing for future release vs. on sale immediately.

Here's a "rumor" site's view of what will be release (no phone):

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...ress-26143.php

His timeline for the speach looks wrong, Mac oriented stuff usually goes first. He might kick off with iTV first because that is what everyone will be expecting and wanting to hear more about but iPod's are typically at the end arn't they? I would think that there is going to be an updated Mac (either MacPro, iMac, or Mini) which flowes into discussion about 10.5 which transitions to iTV then to iTMS with a spotlight on TV show sales and Movies, two new movie studio's available, into iPod sales and new models (true video iPod?)...possible preview of the iPhone but not ready for launch untill later in the year.
  • Reply 72 of 85
    No, he usually kicks Keynotes off with Sales and Traffic (in the Apple Store) Figures.

Sebastian
  • Reply 73 of 85
    With the Apple TV product coming out soon there would be a BIG impetus to have some way of using the set-top box to watch not just the movies in your Itunes, but from DVD player as well. Maybe we will see a new version of DVD player that will allow streaming to the set-top box. (FWIW, the apple remote already works in DVD player)
  • Reply 74 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amerist View Post

(FWIW, the apple remote already works in DVD player)

And iTunes, and probably Quicktime and iPhoto. I only ever tried it in iTunes, but Frontrow runs off of those 4 programs.

Sebastian
  • Reply 75 of 85
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Right - if it goes as usual, he will start with sales of iPod, iTunes Store downloads, retail store traffic and new stores opened, then the Intel transition and perhaps the latest Mac marketshare figures, Boot Camp downloads, then unless there is a new iPod he would go into Leopard, then iLife 07, then Adobe and MS will come up to demo the Universal Binaries, then any other hot new or new-to-Mac software, then iTV if he is going to announce a ship date, otherwise not; then One More Thing which will most likely be the phone.

No speedbumps of the computers. He used to do that when there was no software to talk about, but not in the last few years.
  • Reply 76 of 85
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

I disagree, the theme of this MacWorld will be the newly branded iTV device. 10.5 will most likely not be released and Apple will want to stand out from the MicroSoft OS release by highlighting products other than a yet to be released OS.

Yup. It's the iTV (or whatever the call it) plus some more studios in the movie store. If they'd buy el Gato, I'd be unbearably happy.

Then it's 10.5 with bells and whistles.

I think the iPhone is a myth.

And Apple stock will tank the next day no matter what Apple does. Apple could release a full screen iPod phone 400 GB that you control with your mind and that gives you head on demand and the stock would tank.
  • Reply 77 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Yup. It's the iTV (or whatever the call it) plus some more studios in the movie store. If they'd buy el Gato, I'd be unbearably happy.

Then it's 10.5 with bells and whistles.

I think the iPhone is a myth.

And Apple stock will tank the next day no matter what Apple does. Apple could release a full screen iPod phone 400 GB that you control with your mind and that gives you head on demand and the stock would tank.

• Reply 78 of 85
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

and one more thing....

Steve: Our Keyboard department have finally got off their asses and put a USB2.0 hub in the keyboard. Boom.

Well it would be about time!

..haha, funny... i will just throw out there that I want an iPhone as well!
  • Reply 79 of 85
    What size will the rebranded iTV be?

1. Pocket-size

2. Mac mini

3. Pizza box

I think it'll be much smaller that what has been shown already.
  • Reply 80 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What size will the rebranded iTV be?

1. Pocket-size

2. Mac mini

3. Pizza box

I think it'll be much smaller that what has been shown already.

I think we saw the final design. Anything else they are working on is probably related to the Software side of things.

Sebastian