Upgrade to Vista 32 or 64 for Bootcamp?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
All,

I am fairly new to Macs and used the opportunity to get the best of both worlds with a the MacPro, Bootcamp and XP. Everything works like a charm and I am loving it

Since my XP version came with an upgrade voucher for Vista, I went ahead and tried to register online with MS to receive Vista as soon as they ship it.

While going through their online submission process, I got to the point where I had to choose between Vista 32 or 64.

Since I am planning to use it with my MacPro and Bootcamp, I was wondering which one I should get - especially considering Leopard being released soon (what happens to Bootcamp and maybe with 10.5 I WILL need Vista 64 anyways)?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

G-man

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-man View Post

maybe with 10.5 I WILL need Vista 64 anyways)?

The OS X version has no effect on that.

Currently, Boot Camp drivers are limited to 32-bit, and aren't fully implemented in Vista yet at all. Perhaps Apple will add 64-bit drivers by the time Vista ships, or by the time Leopard ships, but nobody knows.

You'd be on the safer (albeit possibly slower) side with Vista 32-bit.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Vista 64 is pretty broken right now; avoid it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    I've been running Vista x64 with Bootcamp for awhile with no problems. You have to hunt around/wait sometimes for appropriate drivers, but it's not like I do much on the system anyways. It is there when I need it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    No offense, but why do people want to upgrade to Vista so bad? XP does what I need it too and I don't need a new computer to run it.

Seriously, is it for games or what? I am going to be that guy who runs XP just for AutoCad 10 years from now and everyone stares at me like I am some kind of basement dweller.