Virginia Tech G5 supercomputer upgraded to 2.3GHz Xserves

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Thanks to an exclusive offering from Apple Computer, Virginia Tech's G5-based "System X" supercomputer cluster in now more powerful than ever.

The cluster--comprised of 1100 G5-based dual processor cluster nodes--was recently upgraded to 2.3 GHz Apple Xserves, AppleInsider confirmed this week.

This latest boost represents the cluster's second transformation in less than a year. Due to a stringent need for error correcting code (ECC) RAM, in January--a mere three months after its inception--System X was overhauled from dual-processor Power Mac G5s to dual-2GHz Xserve G5s.

Officials at the university's Terascale Computing Facility said the new 2.3GHz Xserves began arriving in mid-June. Aside from sporting slightly faster G5 processors, the units are said to be identical to the company's existing 2GHz Xserves.

But browsing Apple's web site and online store yields no mention of Xserves running at speeds beyond 2GHz; that's because the servers are reportedly unique to System X and are not available for purchase by the general public.

COLSA Corp, which is home to the larger MACH5 Apple G5 supercomputer cluster, has yet to see upgrades from its current dual-2GHz Xserve G5s. However, program director, Mike Whitlock, told AppleInsider that COLSA and Apple have formed long term agreements for the further development of the cluster,

Although Whitlock offered few details on the arrangement, he said that COLSA is expecting its first update to the 1,566 node cluster in January, suggesting that Apple may officially refresh its Xserve G5 line early next year.

Apple introduced the XServe G5 in January 2004, claiming top speeds of 2GHz. But mistakenly placed graphics on the company's Canadian web site briefly advertised the servers at speeds of up to 2.3GHz.

If recent events are any indication, it's likely that Apple had originally intended to introduce the Xserve G5 at speeds of up to 2.3GHz, but were later forced to surrender the higher-end configuration due to a shortage of the speedier G5 chips from IBM.

Representatives from Apple declined to comment on the report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    This is great. Can't wait to see some test results from VaTech. The exclusive offer could be perceived as a sweeter incentive for other institutions mulling a supercomputer made from xserves. At least let's hope so.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Sounds good, but I hope that the official upgrade is higher than 2.3 GHz. Hopefully, it will be at least 2.5 GHz.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It seems like they're always getting upgrades. When do they actually run the thing.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    An earlier version of this story can be found here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...t=virginia+2.3
  • Reply 5 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, someone needs to ask it:

unless they pulled all of those cases AGAIN for new xserves, does this mean they just replaced the processor with an upgraded one? if so, does this mean it would be possible, at least in theory, for upgrades of other places too down the road? (edit: remember, that wasn't supposed to be possible according to apple way-back-when, due to the cooling zone management, which spawned a healthy thread here on whether the G5's would be upgradeable at all... ever).
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I think the XServes VA Tech received were 2.3 GHz from the get go. I don't remember where or when I read it, but there was an article talking about how the XServer for System X had special 2.3 GHz PPC970fx processors that were/are not available to anyone else.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    see the article in the thread I started some time back (link in my post above). It mentioned that they got special 2.3 chips as part of their upgrade to Xserves.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDu

I think the XServes VA Tech received were 2.3 GHz from the get go. I don't remember where or when I read it, but there was an article talking about how the XServer for System X had special 2.3 GHz PPC970fx processors that were/are not available to anyone else.

This is not true. I spoke to VT yesterday and they clearly stated that the 2.3GHz arrived in mid-june, about 6 months after they upgraded to Xserves at 2.0GHz in January. The system started with Power Macs in Sept of 03.

If we are not sure of certain details, we will always state so in the report.

Best,

Kasper
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Remember a USA Today article a month or so ago that mentioned dual 2.3 GHz X-Serves had been specially built for the V-Tech supercomputer... and he got nailed by the Mac community for a lack of research... And for saying the X-Serves used at Virginia Tech weren't available to most university purchasing offices...

I think a lot of people owe him an apology. :-)

<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...3-kantor_x.htm>
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

This is not true. I spoke to VT yesterday and they clearly stated that the 2.3GHz arrived in mid-june, about 6 months after they upgraded to Xserves at 2.0GHz in January. The system started with Power Macs in Sept of 03.

If we are not sure of certain details, we will always state so in the report.

Best,

Kasper

Oh ok, I thought the first XServes they received were in June, I didn't realize they had received a shipment before that.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Just wondering out loud - could the 2.3GHz G5's be first runs using the previously reported upgrade to low-k dialectric?

Wasn't it mentioned about a month ago that IBM was already in the process of qualifying the new low-k dialectric and some testing firm expected samples in about a month?

might explain the very special offer Virginia Tech received.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It seems like they're always getting upgrades. When do they actually run the thing.

I was wondering the same thing
  • Reply 13 of 19
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    System X has dropped to 7th place, but is still far cheaper than most on the list.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    VT uses 1150 dual PPC 970 @ 2.3

Colsa uses 1562 dual PPC 970 @ 2.0

MareNostrum(IBM-Spain) uses 2268 dual PPC [email protected] with1 MB cache

just under 10000 processors used for supercomputing, no wonder us mortals are back on the line for our top of the line G5's

Is the 1MB cache comig to us mortals as well?

makes me wonder?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Not sure who's site that is tracking costs but the entirety of the Blue Gene project is expected to cost $100 million, so $25 million for 70 teraflops isn't bad.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    just thought I'd dredge up a 2 year old thread.Discuss....
  • Reply 17 of 19
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    You're a knob. Discuss...
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

You're a knob. Discuss...

Agreed. As for discussion

knob [nob] noun, verb, knobbed, knob·bing.

–noun

1.\ta projecting part, usually rounded, forming the handle of a door, drawer, or the like.

2.\ta rounded lump or protuberance on the surface or at the end of something, as a knot on a tree trunk.

3.\tArchitecture. an ornamental boss, as of carved work.

4.\ta rounded hill, mountain, or elevation on a ridge.

–verb (used with object)

5.\tto produce a knob on.

6.\tto furnish with a knob.

7.\t(in stone cutting) to knock off (excess stone) preparatory to dressing; knobble; skiffle.

8. A total idiot who has nothing better to do with his time and who needs a life...

I'm guessing you're referring to #8?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    VT is now #47.

COLSA is #28 with 2.0Ghz XServes - 3072 processors and 16180 GFlops.

I wonder how well price/performace the new intel line up would do.