Yike! My Titan.PB 15" Display Problem

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone knows about the LCD display issues on the 15" PB Titanium? Great computer, but after 2 1/2 years, the desktop is hardly visible. It's like trying to see the desktop through a screen door with water on the screen is the best way to discribe it. I can just barely make out the icons on the desktop. I went and bought an external 19" monitor LCD and hooked it up to the PB through the DVI port, but it just mirrors what's on the PowerBook display. Bummer! I thought it would work. Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    If the same thing is being mirrored on your 19" display then something is not right at probably the OS level. Colour calibration or something. Go to System Preferences, click on Display and play around with the various settings. Just an idea. What OS X version are you using? Are you aware of the "DMProxy" issue? Are you sure you're talking about a PB Titanium not Aluminium?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

If the same thing is being mirrored on your 19" display then something is not right at probably the OS level. Colour calibration or something. Go to System Preferences, click on Display and play around with the various settings. Just an idea. What OS X version are you using? Are you aware of the "DMProxy" issue? Are you sure you're talking about a PB Titanium not Aluminium?

Thanks for the assist.

For sure a Titanium PB running and I think its an OS 10.2.9 (I tried to click on the syst specs, but couldn't read through the mess to get the specs). I bought it from the Apple store August 2004 brand new. I'll look into my files to get the packaging to be sure:

No. I have not heard of the proxy issue.

I thought for sure that using the external monitor would be the answer and was discouraged that it didn't solve the issue which made me think that it's an OS issue as well and not a LCD issue.

I tried the color adjustment, but it's hard to make out what buttons I'm clicking on to do any adjusting.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by forestman View Post

Thanks for the assist.

For sure a Titanium PB running and I think its an OS 10.2.9 (I tried to click on the syst specs, but couldn't read through the mess to get the specs). I bought it from the Apple store August 2004 brand new. I'll look into my files to get the packaging to be sure:

No. I have not heard of the proxy issue.

I thought for sure that using the external monitor would be the answer and was discouraged that it didn't solve the issue which made me think that it's an OS issue as well and not a LCD issue.

I tried the color adjustment, but it's hard to make out what buttons I'm clicking on to do any adjusting.

Did you check the Easy Access settings? There is a setting for enhancing the contrast that makes any display hard to read.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I'm not familar with 10.2 but anyway is your second display set to mirror rather than spanning?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    You may have to reinstall OSX 10.2 from your original system cds that came with your PowerBook. Try to backup what you need as much as you can see through your screen.

The "DMProxy" I mentioned is more related to OSX 10.3 and 10.4.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

Did you check the Easy Access settings? There is a setting for enhancing the contrast that makes any display hard to read.

Nothing going there, but I think it's a loose connection because it's all working right now after several days.

Thanks friend.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I'm not familar with 10.2 but anyway is your second display set to mirror rather than spanning?

I found out that it's a 10.3.9 now that I can see the screen again. I'm liking this 19" monitor now and don't want to give it up. Thanks for the help!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

You may have to reinstall OSX 10.2 from your original system cds that came with your PowerBook. Try to backup what you need as much as you can see through your screen.

Thanks for all your help. I've been tied up for a few days, but I'm glad to report that my screen is back to normal. More than likely a loose connection or something. Several days of not having access except through firewire transfer hard drive to another computer (pain in the neck). I think it has to do with the lid closing because I haven't closed it since it started working, but have shut it down and the screen comes up just fine. Mirroring it to the new LG screen and love the 19" rather than the 15", but wife says to return it since I don't really need it. I'm finding all kinds of excuses to keep it! Obviously, I'm just elated to be back at work because I love my PB.

By the way, since now that I know that it's a 10.3.9 , what's with this proxy thing?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Thanks for all your help. I've been tied up for a few days, but I'm glad to report that my screen is back to normal. More than likely a loose connection or something. Several days of not having access except through firewire transfer hard drive to another computer (pain in the neck). I think it has to do with the lid closing because I haven't closed it since it started working, but have shut it down and the screen comes up just fine. Mirroring it to the new LG screen and love the 19" rather than the 15", but wife says to return it since I don't really need it. I'm finding all kinds of excuses to keep it! [url] Obviously, I'm just elated to be back at work because I love my PB.

By the way, since now that I know that it's a 10.3.9 , what's with this proxy thing?

P.S. sorry for the double post.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by forestman View Post

P.S. sorry for the double post.

DMProxy issue: http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/maco...olor/index.php
  • Reply 11 of 12
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Glad everything's fixed for you... 8) 8) 8)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Actually, not everything is fixed. The display has gone batty once again, but I shut the lid and lifted it up and it was fine. Wierd! Thanks for the link for the proxy issue and thanks for your replies to the post.