Most wanted and useful applications

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    wow guys, post these in the "Official Applications Thread" so you won't ever have to again...
  • Reply 22 of 33
    A friend of mine gave me an application which has the extension .cdr and it is supposed to be used in order to create a bootable cd. Any disk utility to burn it properly? What is this .cdr? The only .cdr files I knew were these from corel, but this is not the same case.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    cool11cool11 Posts: 73member
    You really help me a lot with all these apps!
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Dude!
  • Reply 25 of 33
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Dude!

Where's my car?
  • Reply 26 of 33
    cool11cool11 Posts: 73member
    I am waiting for my mac. As far as I know, there is no 'start' button on desktop like windows has. Is there any buit-in application in mac os x for launching applications, or there is a third-party one?

I also would like to have an application to remove all the software pre-installed in mac os x, that I would not need it. I want to do it safely. What about these add/remove programs applications in general and specific for the new mac that has preloaded softeare?
  • Reply 27 of 33
    The Dock is fundamental to OS X.

http://images.apple.com/macosx/leopa...op20060807.jpg

It's at the bottom of the screen. You can drag any app to it and then just one click will open the app. Once it gets full, there are many 3rd party apps to help out.

I like Overflow and Claw Menu. Overflow is really easy to configure, and I discovered it after Claw.

http://www.stuntsoftware.com/Overflow/
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cool11 View Post

I am waiting for my mac. As far as I know, there is no 'start' button on desktop like windows has. Is there any buit-in application in mac os x for launching applications, or there is a third-party one?

I also would like to have an application to remove all the software pre-installed in mac os x, that I would not need it. I want to do it safely. What about these add/remove programs applications in general and specific for the new mac that has preloaded softeare?

1) Start with the dock, however, there are MANY 3rd party options.

2) Don't do this. I know that it is smart to do this on windows, but really - noone does this on the mac side, and most of the preinstalled software is very useful - if not essential. After using my current mac (g4 mac mini) for over a year and a half without any system reinstalls I now have well over 100 applications on my mac, and it isn't a problem at all, because there is no registry to get screwed up. Also, to remove a program you don't need a program to do it safely or whatever. Just drag the application to the trash and empty (this is good enough to completely uninstall for 90% of apps).
  • Reply 29 of 33
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis View Post

Graphic Converter, the best freeware application I've ever seen.

Freeware? You do have to buy into it. Unless you like the 30 second nag screen and not being able to batch process. Still, hands down it has the best exporting and conversion features.

I anyone needs a free image browser (with some basic import/export features) check out CocoViewX.

Another useful application for me has been TigerLaunch. Though there are many other alternatives, I like the way this helps me keep my Dock less crowded.

Another one I'll throw into the mix. I like iTunes, but it can be taxing on memory and processor usage. I've been looking for a mini-player and found Cog. It's small and a little rough on the edges. But it can play Ogg Vorbis, Flac, Musepack, Mp3, Shorten, Wavpack, AAC, and Monkeys Audio. Free too.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Adobe Creative Suite 2: Well, I can't live without it anyway...

Classic Menu
    : Interesting little tool if you want an alternate app launcher.

TinkerTool: For tweaking system performance, animations, etc.

Firefox: Of course.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cool11 View Post

Most PCs come with bloatware and it is annoying as hell. Macs don't though, this would be a bad idea. It's not equivalent to removing crapware that ships with your computer on a PC , it's equivalent to removing a PC's "Calculator," "Paint," etc.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiostud View Post

Little Snitch - this app will tell you when anyone at all is trying to connect to your computer from anywhere on a network or the internet and gives you the option of allowing or denying them

It also turns OSX into Vista. "Permit or deny, permit or deny, this time or every time. Permit or deny."