"First 30 years just the beginning..."

Comments

• Reply 41 of 159
    It's a projector.

CONFIRMED!!!!
  • Reply 42 of 159
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    well, i think the apple is only black to have a contrast with the beam of bright, white light coming out from behind it. But I believe the background is the color it is because that will have to have something to do with the new UI. It HAS to have SOMETHING to do with it; even if it doesn't have the lead part, it will be a neccesary extra in the musical that is Leopard.

@Ireland: i wouldn't doubt that in the LEAST.
  • Reply 43 of 159
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    It signals SOMETHING is on the horizon. Many people have said that it's nothing more than a "Happy New Year"/30th anniversary message from Apple. I would agree, were it not for the clear visual of the sun coming up over the Apple horizon, or the Apple eclipsing a soon to be revealed 'light'. That visual definitely suggests that there is something in store for us.

Just like the curtains for "one more thing" or the Spotlights for "It's Showtime", Apple doesn't use a graphic without meaning.

You could argue that it's just meant to be the dawn of the next 30 years of innovation, but it explicitly calls out 2007, and does so days before the biggest Apple event of the year.

Whether it means a MONUMENTAL new product or service, or simply a refinement that brings the ends 'together' is open for debate. Either way, it's clear Steve plans to outline the dawn of a new Apple next week.
  • Reply 44 of 159
    Good one! Great bit of Photoshoppery.
  • Reply 45 of 159
    there is another thread that I think most people missed about Apple attending CES, and on the info page the address listed is not their address but the address for Sling Media, and the booth that should be listed for Apple is marked Slingbox, which I see as a sign of something big with these two companies.

I think Apple's masterplan is that they bought Slingbox and incorporated the technology into the iTV (it has all the connections needed and more), and created an easy way for you to access your entire home theater (cable, digital cable, satalite, tivo recordings, DVD's, and all the media from your mac) from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD via the internet on your laptop or possibly even the iPod Phone. How's that for digital convergence? This is the most Apple-like move I can think of and the evidence is there.

I think the part about being able to beam your media from your mac to your TV was just the smaller part of the functionality, and looking back on it I don't feel like they really hyped it up so that's what makes me think there is another huge part of the iTV puzzle and I think the Slingbox thing fits in perfectly.
  • Reply 46 of 159
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychobass213 View Post

there is another thread that I think most people missed about Apple attending CES, and on the info page the address listed is not their address but the address for Sling Media, and the booth that should be listed for Apple is marked Slingbox, which I see as a sign of something big with these two companies.

I think Apple's masterplan is that they bought Slingbox and incorporated the technology into the iTV (it has all the connections needed and more), and created an easy way for you to access your entire home theater (cable, digital cable, satalite, tivo recordings, DVD's, and all the media from your mac) from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD via the internet on your laptop or possibly even the iPod Phone. How's that for digital convergence? This is the most Apple-like move I can think of and the evidence is there.

I think the part about being able to beam your media from your mac to your TV was just the smaller part of the functionality, and looking back on it I don't feel like they really hyped it up so that's what makes me think there is another huge part of the iTV puzzle and I think the Slingbox thing fits in perfectly.

Holy Crap!! That would be frickin HUGE!!

I can't wait!!! I'm going to CES!!!! wOOT!!

/breathes into brown paper bag
  • Reply 47 of 159
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychobass213 View Post

The iTV, as shown, has no video inputs whatsoever. That would leave it somewhat lacking in terms of becoming a SlingBox (which takes video IN and distributes it through the web). While I would love to see a union between Apple and Sling, I don't think it's likely. Apple isn't interested in 'slinging' media around the globe to ANY device you want; they don't get paid for that. They get paid to sell you Macs, iPods and (to a lesser extent) content for those devices via the iTMS. Sling circumvents the iTMS by serving up (for free) the shows you might miss while away from home; Apple would prefer you BUY that show from the iTMS to watch on your Mac, iPod, or through your MAC to the iTV.
  • Reply 48 of 159
    "Beyond the Rumor Sites... Way Beyond"

"Full Speed ahead, warp factor 5"

yadda yadda

For us old schoolers, this is Apple just setting themselves up for another huge fall...
  • Reply 49 of 159
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

There haven't been 30 years of George Bush, thankfully, but I think we should be prepared for 2007!

---

This is a big, big teaser. Quick, Ireland: post your widget image. I need to know how little sleep I will get until we know the answer.

Arrrrgghhhh! Off the the bank to rearrange my portfolio so I can spend more money! Another loan won't hurt...

Oh.. that damn Bush guy!

• Reply 50 of 159
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

The iTV, as shown, has no video inputs whatsoever. That would leave it somewhat lacking in terms of becoming a SlingBox.

Huh? Yes it does.
  • Reply 51 of 159
    Huh? No it doesn't.
  • Reply 52 of 159
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Huh, I think it does.....

• Reply 53 of 159
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Well, over at Ars they happen to have a somewhat different explanation:
    Quote:

perhaps Apple is blocking out the sun in order to have more darkness to doctor their financial documents.

Quote:

It signals SOMETHING is on the horizon. Many people have said that it's nothing more than a "Happy New Year"/30th anniversary message from Apple. I would agree, were it not for the clear visual of the sun coming up over the Apple horizon, or the Apple eclipsing a soon to be revealed 'light'. That visual definitely suggests that there is something in store for us.

Just like the curtains for "one more thing" or the Spotlights for "It's Showtime", Apple doesn't use a graphic without meaning.

You could argue that it's just meant to be the dawn of the next 30 years of innovation, but it explicitly calls out 2007, and does so days before the biggest Apple event of the year.

Whether it means a MONUMENTAL new product or service, or simply a refinement that brings the ends 'together' is open for debate. Either way, it's clear Steve plans to outline the dawn of a new Apple next week.

• Reply 54 of 159
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post

"Beyond the Rumor Sites... Way Beyond"

"Full Speed ahead, warp factor 5"

yadda yadda

For us old schoolers, this is Apple just setting themselves up for another huge fall...

co-signed. I'm not getting all that excited.
  • Reply 55 of 159
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Even if they do not announce many new products, if they reveal a new UI for Leopard, that will be plenty. We will get the iTV soon, there isn't any doubt about that.
  • Reply 56 of 159
    You?re, like, all forgetting one thing. The reality distortion field. Let?s face it, most people on this board will think that whatever?s released will be great. Even if it?s, like, you know, Windows ME.
  • Reply 57 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Huh, I think it does.....

If it has ingoing ports, where's the space for the outgoing ones?

• Reply 58 of 159
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Haha, I was starting to think about the image being Pepto for investors, then the Ars post, LOL
  • Reply 59 of 159
    Quote:

The iTV, as shown, has no video inputs whatsoever. That would leave it somewhat lacking in terms of becoming a SlingBox (which takes video IN and distributes it through the web). While I would love to see a union between Apple and Sling, I don't think it's likely. Apple isn't interested in 'slinging' media around the globe to ANY device you want; they don't get paid for that. They get paid to sell you Macs, iPods and (to a lesser extent) content for those devices via the iTMS. Sling circumvents the iTMS by serving up (for free) the shows you might miss while away from home; Apple would prefer you BUY that show from the iTMS to watch on your Mac, iPod, or through your MAC to the iTV.

Ahh that is true. But this is also a prototype box, weren't there rumors of a bigger box? And maybe they could make 2 different boxes for those who didn't want the slingbox funtionality.

It is true that they wouldn't make any money through this, but it would expand their product line into the average person's home, another halo effect. If they were the first to make a truly practical unit like this, easy enough for my mom to use, they could dominate this market as well, and have a hold on digital music AND most other forms of media. They wouldn't be making any money on the TV aspect, but the funtionality alone would fly the iTV box off the shelves. And they're obviously going to make it super easy to buy content from the iTMS, so the iPod would be to digital music what the iTV will be to video, in a way.
  • Reply 60 of 159
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

I predict that this graphic will disappear at the stroke of midnight (PST) ... nothing more than a hyperbolic 'Happy New Year' message; the filename denoting only that it's to be posted on 01/01 2007.

Well, it appears you were wrong. It was initially on the US and Canada sites but is now on the UK and Europe sites. Macbooks on just about all other sites except Japan where there's a shuffle. I think this is more than a Happy New Year message. When has Apple ever done that?

This means something. This is important.