"First 30 years just the beginning..."

Comments

• Reply 61 of 159
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    6 days, 18 hours, 59 minutes until we find out if its important.
  • Reply 62 of 159
    I love that new image!!
  • Reply 63 of 159
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

If it has ingoing ports, where's the space for the outgoing ones?

HDMI

or there is more, fed by the usb port. And/or there is something else with an airport express/airport base station that connects to the cable and streams.

Content can be streamed in both directions.
  • Reply 64 of 159
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Let me take a guess, from the info provided in the image.

What was Apple's first product, 30 years ago? The Apple I, of course.

The Apple I was a fully assembled motherboard but with no case and no keyboard...

Maybe Apple will surprise us by starting to sell cheap bare-bone Mac motherboards?

It'd be the "cheap tower" some people have been clamoring for. That way they could tap into the market of people that only upgrade their PC motherboards, keeping their cases and HDDs. They could reach geeks that like to "build their own PC" and small street corner PC shops by providing volume discount. The whole argument of "But I can build my own PC for X dollars" would be lessened.

But nahhh it won't happen, it's just a wild guess, and personally, I'm not sure I want it to happen either. Here are the main reasons why it shouldn't happen:

It could negatively affect the sales of their already-built Macs, cannibalizing sales. Small PC shops could sell custom Macs with incompatible parts that only work on Windows, worse some PC shops would sell them as Windows PCs (Eeewww that means Dvorak would've been right when he said Apple would sell Windows PCs). Some Macs would end up in ugly beige cases and Macs could lose their "cachet".

I guess you guys could find many other reasons why it would be a bad thing...
  • Reply 65 of 159
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

If it has ingoing ports, where's the space for the outgoing ones?

I was under the impression that all ports were outputs. The content would be streamed wired/wirelessly from a Mac.
  • Reply 66 of 159
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Let me take a guess, from the info provided in the image...

A more revolutionary strategy, at least for home use, would be to create a Home Main Frame. A single computer based on a blade server with a fast enough back plane to allow for future proofing the system for 5 years or more. Have enough "blade" sockets for 4 to 8 blades, each capable of holding 2 processors, which would give you a maximum of up to 64 cores on the system based on chips that are soon to be released by Intel.

The system would need to be cheep enough to be sold with one lower end blade, and user servicable to add in a new blade every year for the next 3 years or to replace older blades with newer more powerfull blades. It would need a large case and a lot of room for hard drives to expand with the system as the needs of the home grow.

Pair this with a good operating system capable of utilizing and maintaining the highly parallel system and innexpensive terminals (both specialized like the iTV and generic like an iMac reworked into a terminal) to add on as the needs of the user and technology grow and you have the basis for a system which would encourage long term commitment from the consumer and award it with a unified home computer capable of growing with the needs of the user.

Not going to happen...
  • Reply 67 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Let me take a guess, from the info provided in the image.

What was Apple's first product, 30 years ago? The Apple I, of course.

The Apple I was a fully assembled motherboard but with no case and no keyboard...

Maybe Apple will surprise us by starting to sell cheap bare-bone Mac motherboards?

It'd be the "cheap tower" some people have been clamoring for. That way they could tap into the market of people that only upgrade their PC motherboards, keeping their cases and HDDs. They could reach geeks that like to "build their own PC" and small street corner PC shops by providing volume discount. The whole argument of "But I can build my own PC for X dollars" would be lessened.

But nahhh it won't happen, it's just a wild guess, and personally, I'm not sure I want it to happen either. Here are the main reasons why it shouldn't happen:

It could negatively affect the sales of their already-built Macs, cannibalizing sales. Small PC shops could sell custom Macs with incompatible parts that only work on Windows, worse some PC shops would sell them as Windows PCs (Eeewww that means Dvorak would've been right when he said Apple would sell Windows PCs). Some Macs would end up in ugly beige cases and Macs could lose their "cachet".

I guess you guys could find many other reasons why it would be a bad thing...

Any HDD should work apple just needs to open to any video card.
  • Reply 68 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

It's a projector.

CONFIRMED!!!!

Are you making a subtle joke that I am not aware of, or are you serious?

How do you have that kind of information?
  • Reply 69 of 159
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Hmm, it occurs to me that if Apple is only putting this teaser page up in certain countries like the US, Canada, and the UK, it's a teaser for a new product that won't see widespread distribution right away. If it were just a New Year's greeting from Apple, it'd be up on all of Apple's international sites.

Let that be a clue unto you.
  • Reply 70 of 159
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Martin C View Post

If there were a prime number of exclamation marks that would have been true.
  • Reply 71 of 159
    It's the Thirtieth Anniversary Mac!
  • Reply 72 of 159
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Hmm, it occurs to me that if Apple is only putting this teaser page up in certain countries like the US, Canada, and the UK, it's a teaser for a new product that won't see widespread distribution right away. If it were just a New Year's greeting from Apple, it'd be up on all of Apple's international sites.

I've often seen different images on various Apple sites that don't necessarily lead to varying product availability or promotion. Being in Canada I regularly check both the Canadian site and US one. They often differ slightly, especially in the 4 boxes below the primary graphic, but 9 times out of time 10 the product offerings are the same in both countries. I do notice with new product announcements that there is a time delay with Apple Canada posting news, well past the physcial time zone differences. \
  • Reply 73 of 159
    Apple's 30th anniv. was April 1, 2006. The 20th anniv. of the Mac was Jan., 2004.

What Apple seems to be saying is that the first 30 years was the warmup so get ready for the pitch.
  • Reply 74 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a-thinker View Post

It's the Thirtieth Anniversary Mac!

The taMAC!!

uh... no
  • Reply 75 of 159
    Quote:

Let that be a clue unto you.

Either that, or they never wrote it in any other language. However, I never checked Australia, so I could be way off.
  • Reply 76 of 159
    Quote:

Sorry about replying to myself but I just thought of something. Since the teaser is only on a few sites, maybe it's a product localization issue. What would be the most difficult thing to localize, production-wise? My guess would be the iPod phone if it has a physical keypad. Some rumors say it does. Apple would do English keys first and others would follow.

Apple's graphic seems to denote a whole new platform and the phone would do it. Other things like a video iPod or an iTV box would be easy to localize in software.
  • Reply 77 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Martin C View Post

Welcome to Ai, Martin C, and especially to Temporary Insanity!

CONFIRMED!!! is a little joke that we have around here, so don't worry; I have no idea nor inside infor on specific products. Was just looking at the image on Apple's site again and noticed a projector-like flare.

Rolo might have a point: if the teaser is not up o but a few sites, then it might be a localization issue. It could also be that they want to start one place and then move to others later (ie., if it is a video pod, they need movie download rights first, and they ain't got 'em in Japan, that's for sure)).

Just the same, I don't think that Apple would only focus on the US market, as a large portion of their sales come from the international market (namely: me).
  • Reply 78 of 159
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

It's a projector.

CONFIRMED!!!!

That...would...be unexpected... \
  • Reply 79 of 159
    thortsthorts Posts: 13member
    I think the folks at Ars got it right. The image looks like and ECLIPSE to me...the sun coming back from behing the moon..with the Apple just being in silhouette. What could that mean?
  • Reply 80 of 159
    Quote:

Welcome to Ai, Martin C, and especially to Temporary Insanity!

CONFIRMED!!! is a little joke that we have around here, so don't worry; I have no idea nor inside infor on specific products. Was just looking at the image on Apple's site again and noticed a projector-like flare.

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up. I had a feeling it was a joke.