Do you want a 14" and/or 15" Wide MacBook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I really want a 15" Wide MacBook, not MacBookPro. The 13" screen is just too small, and viewing angles are not great. I've got some funds opened up (possibly), but the 13" MacBook is just not doing it for me. I've looked at the wide 14" and wide 15" PC laptop screens, and those look nice and clear to read. I'm only 28... But I have done graphic/web design, so if I get back into pixel-pushing the 13" will give me headaches and migraines, while the 15" MacBookPros have poor quality screens (ask most designers) in terms of colour, evenness, etc.

Anyway, Poll here....! 8) 8) 8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    I voted for 14" simply because I do not think Apple wants to make the MacBooks equivalent in any way to the MacBook Pros. We forget that they are a company, and the MBP's are more expensive. They want to give people reason to make the jump. I would definitely buy a 14" MacBook though.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Looks like so far this poll sucks. Let's see when there are more than 6 votes
  • Reply 3 of 32
    It definitely doesn't suck. The MacBooks just don't make sense right now. They are the most portable notebooks currently available. Thus, all the speculation about some sort of Ultraportable announcement at MacWorld '07.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    if you need more screen space get another monitor and hook it up run together

my macbook is near perfection9.9 of 10

and why not a 10 i'm waiting for leopard
  • Reply 5 of 32
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

Looks like so far this poll sucks. Let's see when there are more than 6 votes

Hehh... I dish the pain out sometimes so I'll take the punches and roll with it.... Bastards!!!!!

I did some measurements though, 14" 1280x800 would be perfect for me, 13 inch MacBook is toooo small for me, oh my poor eyes.

I'm only 28... Maybe I'm getting old. I think I have close to 20/20 vision though.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Hehh... I dish the pain out sometimes so I'll take the punches and roll with it.... Bastards!!!!!

I did some measurements though, 14" 1280x800 would be perfect for me, 13 inch MacBook is toooo small for me, oh my poor eyes.

I'm only 28... Maybe I'm getting old. I think I have close to 20/20 vision though.

Ha, I voted for the 14"! The chances of this happening are so small...there just isn't any demand for this. Except for you of course.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Apple needs to do something WRT a 15.4-inch consumer oriented notebook. The fact that their 15.4-inch notebook starts at $2,000 is a travesty. A lot of notebook makers from Dell, Toshiba, Sony, and HP offer 15.4-inch notebooks with DVD burners at around $1,200. Why can't Apple. I think Apple knows that they need to do something in this area and I hope that they will have an answer soon. The rumors for a 15-inch widescreen MacBook exist, but they are from flaky rumor sites.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvb View Post

Ha, I voted for the 14"! The chances of this happening are so small...there just isn't any demand for this. Except for you of course.

I voted for the 15" when I set it up, but I've got a crappy Toshiba on loan, I measured things out, and 14" wide 1280x800 is actually just nice for me.

I think 13" and 14" are just too close, Apple is notorious for highly targeted and differentiated models. To the point of evildoing such as the Black MacBook

But exactly what DHagan4755 said, 15" MacBook would be fracking sweet. There is a strong target market for that, moving from the unprecedented success of the 13" MacBook. I can bet you these past three months there were a ton of people that looked at the 13" MacBook 2ghz, then looked at the 15" MacBookPro, and went, WTF? and went and bought a PC laptop. These pool of customers can be successfully captured by a 15" MacBook, IMO. Whether Apple will do it, we'll see. If there is a 15" MacBook, next we'll (well, I) will be bitching about integrated graphics. \
  • Reply 9 of 32
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I voted "None, this Poll Sucks"

Sebastian
  • Reply 10 of 32
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

[I] will be bitching about integrated graphics. \

Well here's the thing...

I know that Apple needs to have this 15.4-inch widescreen notebook, and it's quite the glaring gap in their product line that it almost has to happen.

But the question is how will Apple do it? Will they continue to employ the MacBook form factor for this? What will they do with all of that extra space around the keyboard? That was pretty ugly in the 14-inch iBook, and the speakers in the current MacBook 13-inch widescreen model are weak. This proposed 15-inch widescreen consumer oriented notebook from Apple needs to be compelling.

I think Apple's gotta start shifting away from the white plastic look. The look's uniquely Apple for sure, but it's getting tired. The black plastic look of the MacBook is OK, but it's really attractive of grease and fingerprints, and...it's...well still plastic. So does Apple just "dumb down" the MacBook Pro enclosure? Give the MBP the I.G. treatment; put a C2D at 2.0 GHZ and call it an afternoon? Anodize it black too, while they're at it?

I honestly think that Apple has to have a longer term, more forward-looking approach to their notebook line-up than expanding an existing design that's kind of been around the bush for awhile. I honestly believe that Apple's ready for the "next thing™" in notebook design.

Also if the rumors are true that Apple is developing a 12-inch Macbook "Thin" then they must be doing something to makeover their notebook lines. After all...the so-called reasoning Apple used the current designs for the new Intel architecture was to show the seamless transition and product stability of already established designs. The transition is complete. It's time for something new.

But I can't imagine going another 6 months with an entry level 15-inch widescreen notebook starting at $2K. Most people want the bigger display because they are older (even as research has suggested) so the last thing someone in their 30s wants to do is squint. Even at 18 the last thing a teenager wants to do is squint at their computer screen. 12-in and 13-in form factors may be good for mobility, but for most of us, lugging around a 15-inch is OK.

Notebooks are becoming really big for Apple, as they increased their marketshare on the back of the MacBook and MacBook Pro. I really hope MWSF brings a revamp of the Apple notebook offerings.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I voted "None, this Poll Sucks"

Sebastian

Pfft. Currently 35% of respondents think this Poll ROCKKKKKKKKKKKKS
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Pfft. Currently 35% of respondents think this Poll ROCKKKKKKKKKKKKS

61.9% Think this poll SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKS

Sebastian
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Well here's the thing...

I know that Apple needs to have this 15.4-inch widescreen notebook, and it's quite the glaring gap in their product line that it almost has to happen.

But the question is how will Apple do it? Will they continue to employ the MacBook form factor for this? What will they do with all of that extra space around the keyboard? That was pretty ugly in the 14-inch iBook, and the speakers in the current MacBook 13-inch widescreen model are weak. This proposed 15-inch widescreen consumer oriented notebook from Apple needs to be compelling.

I think Apple's gotta start shifting away from the white plastic look. The look's uniquely Apple for sure, but it's getting tired. The black plastic look of the MacBook is OK, but it's really attractive of grease and fingerprints, and...it's...well still plastic. So does Apple just "dumb down" the MacBook Pro enclosure? Give the MBP the I.G. treatment; put a C2D at 2.0 GHZ and call it an afternoon? Anodize it black too, while they're at it?

I honestly think that Apple has to have a longer term, more forward-looking approach to their notebook line-up than expanding an existing design that's kind of been around the bush for awhile. I honestly believe that Apple's ready for the "next thing?" in notebook design.

Also if the rumors are true that Apple is developing a 12-inch Macbook "Thin" then they must be doing something to makeover their notebook lines. After all...the so-called reasoning Apple used the current designs for the new Intel architecture was to show the seamless transition and product stability of already established designs. The transition is complete. It's time for something new.

But I can't imagine going another 6 months with an entry level 15-inch widescreen notebook starting at $2K. Most people want the bigger display because they are older (even as research has suggested) so the last thing someone in their 30s wants to do is squint. Even at 18 the last thing a teenager wants to do is squint at their computer screen. 12-in and 13-in form factors may be good for mobility, but for most of us, lugging around a 15-inch is OK.

Notebooks are becoming really big for Apple, as they increased their marketshare on the back of the MacBook and MacBook Pro. I really hope MWSF brings a revamp of the Apple notebook offerings.

Tricky questions. I think the "12" Tablet" is bollocks. There will be the iPhone, and there could be the PDA/Tablet running OSX Lite but that would be like 10" or less. Apple has done 12", it's past that IMO.

Good point with the Black MacBook. White could be two models of 13", Black would be the 15" MacBook. All integrated graphics. A 15" Black Macbook design would be the solution. MacBookPros remain as they are, with bump upgrades. Audio on MacBookPro speakers are not that great. They've never been on Apple laptops.

I think the Mac designs have just evolved naturally, with the MacBook, iMac getting thinner and sleeker, and Mac Pro internal layout changes. Two reasons. 1. Focus on Intel Transition internal hardware-wise. 2. Keep the Mac look the same to say "Hey, nothing's changed, except, faster, better, sexier".

Apple product design is only going to bring out the big guns on iPods, iPhone, iTV and new products. I agree there should be a overhaul of the laptop designs, especially with the Black MacBook looking almost like a PC laptop... Not on Apple's priorities at the moment though.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    It's all about profit margins. There's a lot of scope for Apple but as it gets bigger while there are economies of scale eg. NAND buying power, there's a lot more hardware design/ testing/ software integration/ support/ Store sales and support/ etc. etc.

I *know* Apple does NOT need to get more and more profits each year* - it could have a some growth but ease on the margins for well, more market share, wider product range to fill in a lot of existing and oncoming opportunities.

As in say 300-500 million each year, inflation-adjusted, does not need to be sequentially more and more... \
  • Reply 15 of 32
    I want a MacBook with better graphics
  • Reply 16 of 32
    stop tempting my fate! i just got a black 13"
  • Reply 17 of 32
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

61.9% Think this poll SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKS

Sebastian

And they also think $2000+ for a Macbook Pro is affordable.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post

I want a MacBook with better graphics

then get a Macbook Pro
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caboose View Post

stop tempting my fate! i just got a black 13"

The thing about computers and a lot of other products is that the second you buy them they become outdated. It's such a great system
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

And they also think $2000+ for a Macbook Pro is affordable.

Macbook is the Entry level

Macbook Pro is high end

End of story

PS:Apple may just change this around a tiny bit though, I refuse to commit either way at this point

Sebastian