Thoughts on the 5400 rpm 160GB vs 4200 rpm 200 GB drive options

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm trying to decide between getting a 15" MacBook Pro with the160 versus the 200 GB drives. Just curious what people's thought are the pros and cons of going with a larger, but slower drive.

Here's an excellent head-to-head test which appears to be basically a toss up. Their conclusion:

CONCLUSIONS

These latest test results reveal that,

a) The 7200rpm drives are the fastest when empty...

b)... but if you have 74GB of data on each of the drives, the 4200rpm drive was actually faster. That's because 74GB of data puts the 7200rpm drive at 80% capacity while the 200GB 4200rpm drive is only at 40% capacity. (See "74G Mark" graphs above.)

I suppose this should answer my question -- but thought I'd see if anyone has other thoughts about this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    It will not kill you whatever way you end up going, but for an extra 40 gb you need to think of what you are actually getting. Will you REALLY use those? If you need extra space for the laptop, I would suggest buying an external hard drive later, when you are sure you actually need it. Just stick to the 160gb model.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvb View Post

It will not kill you whatever way you end up going, but for an extra 40 gb you need to think of what you are actually getting. Will you REALLY use those? If you need extra space for the laptop, I would suggest buying an external hard drive later, when you are sure you actually need it. Just stick to the 160gb model.

ha ha, will you REALLY use those? I know I would in a second. It doesn't take me long to eat up my spare drive space.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Okay, so then instead of investing in 40 gb more buy a 500 gig external. It's a much smarter buy IMO.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    damn talk about thinking small!!! damn, buy a hdd enclosure, buy the 160G/10K RPM Raptor hdd ghost on your OSX on this hdd and it will smoke!!!!! Yooozzzzaaaahhhh!!!!(meaning when you format the hdd, use the "journaled" option)
  • Reply 5 of 11
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

damn talk about thinking small!!! damn, buy a hdd enclosure, buy the 160G/10K RPM Raptor hdd ghost on your OSX on this hdd and it will smoke!!!!! Yooozzzzaaaahhhh!!!!(meaning when you format the hdd, use the "journaled" option)

Sure you should format it Journaled.... but the (meaning when you format the hdd, use the "journaled" option) really doesn't refer to anything you just said.

I get what you're trying to say: Buy a fast hard drive, copy OSX to it and boot from that, but damn, you need to work on your English skills.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

Sure you should format it Journaled.... but the (meaning when you format the hdd, use the "journaled" option) really doesn't refer to anything you just said.

I get what you're trying to say: Buy a fast hard drive, copy OSX to it and boot from that, but damn, you need to work on your English skills.

hey you making fun of my talkin? man that aint right no how
  • Reply 7 of 11
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    "buy the 160G/10K RPM Raptor hdd ghost on your OSX on this hdd and it will smoke!!!!!"

Case and point.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvb View Post

Okay, so then instead of investing in 40 gb more buy a 500 gig external. It's a much smarter buy IMO.

Unless you're a mobile user who doesn't want to carry an external drive around.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    you Austin folk are like them there folks in Houston. All thinkin high flutin'...Jus cuz I'm originally from Killeen dont mean I dont talk no better than yous
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    If they were both the same price or very close, I'd probably go with the 200GB drive. The problem is that Apple asks for an additional $100 for the 200GB over the 160GB, and that price difference seems to be reflected at Newegg too, $160 vs. $250, the value isn't there unless you absolutely had to have the storage.

I'd go with the 160. If you need more mobile storage than that and don't want an external drive, consider MCETech's Optibay as well.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    My MacBook Pro has the 100 Gb 7200 drive and load times are really quick. I would definitely go speed over size.