What to do in SF

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi everybody. Next week's macworld is going to be my first in San Francisco (I went to NY in 2001), so while I pretty well know what to do at the convention, outside the Moscone center i'm going to be completely lost. I've been reading about some of the popular sights in the city but most seem like they require more time than I'll have. Are there any cool things to do right near the center? And along the same line, what are some good (and reasonably priced) restaurants in the vicinity? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDude View Post

Hi everybody. Next week's macworld is going to be my first in San Francisco (I went to NY in 2001), so while I pretty well know what to do at the convention, outside the Moscone center i'm going to be completely lost. I've been reading about some of the popular sights in the city but most seem like they require more time than I'll have. Are there any cool things to do right near the center? And along the same line, what are some good (and reasonably priced) restaurants in the vicinity? Thanks.

Go to Moose's restaurant. I went to MW in '99. It was a cool eatery.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDude View Post

Are there any cool things to do right near the center.

Well, as they say, when in Rome...
  • Reply 3 of 33
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    There is ALWAYS Pier 39. http://www.pier39.com/

There is a ton of things to do in SF. Can see Alcatraz =). There is a famous art museum there (escaping me right now), there is the famous China Town (great food in that area too). Ride BART around and check things out.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

There is ALWAYS Pier 39. http://www.pier39.com/

There is a ton of things to do in SF. Can see Alcatraz =). There is a famous art museum there (escaping me right now), there is the famous China Town (great food in that area too). Ride BART around and check things out.

Along these lines, if you ever make it to NYC, you should see the Empire State Building, go to the famous museum, visit their famous Chinatown, and ride the subway.

• Reply 5 of 33
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Along these lines, if you ever make it to NYC, you should see the Empire State Building, go to the famous museum, visit their famous Chinatown, and ride the subway.

Pier 39??? ........ oh yah... SF also has something else that NYC does not in January... a sun 8)
  • Reply 6 of 33
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    Yeah, I've read about many of these things, but i'm looking for things that don't take too long. I'd love to go to Alcatraz or walk around the big park for instance, but if I do either of those I might as well write off an entire afternoon.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    If you're a foodie, check out the newly renovated ferry building at the end of Market St.:

Ferry Building

...while you're there, take a walk along the Embarcadero towards the Bay Bridge for some beautiful views across the Bay towards Treasure Is. and the East Bay (Berkeley/Oakland).

...Union Sq. is an easy walk and not as touristy as Pier 39.

...a bit further afield (but still MUNI-able) is Valencia St., very hip and happening with great restaurants and nifty stores.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Pier 39??? ........ oh yah... SF also has something else that NYC does not in January... a sun 8)

Ocassionally... currently it's a bit cloudy. Doesn't matter since it's now Dark though.

Hmmm, Good Places to visit. Well the Monscone Center is close to both the Apple Store (about a block or 2 away) there is a new mall close by to that, that I need to check out myself. I haven't gone downtown in a while, there is also the Yerba Buena Gardens and the Metreon across the street practically (I think Apple uses the Big Glass Building across the street from the Metreon, Monscone West I think, can't remember) and also the Art Museum, Also forgot the name of it, is in the area.

I'll be going downtown this weekend (really I could anytime I wanted too, if I catch the train going out the door it's about 10 minutes away) so I'll let you know if I missed anything, or something new turned up in the few months that I haven't been down there.

Unfortunately the only resteraunts I know are the ones in my own Area. Burgermeister, the Taqueria, Cybelle's Pizza, and a chinese resteraunt around the corner. The Rainforest Cafè wasn't too bad the one time I visited, but personally I didn't like the atmosphere, and you'd have to go all the way down around Pier 39 (which will eat up your Afternoon) to visit it.

Sebastian
  • Reply 9 of 33
    One art museum I wouldn't miss, mainly for the buildings architecture, is the new de Young-museum, designed by Herzog & de Meuron. http://www.thinker.org/deyoung/
  • Reply 10 of 33
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    oh, and for gosh sakes, if you haven't ridden the cable cars, do it! they run into the night, and if you take the Powell-Hyde line, you can reward yourself with a hot fudge sundae at Ghirardelli Sq at the far end.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chromos View Post

oh, and for gosh sakes, if you haven't ridden the cable cars, do it! they run into the night, and if you take the Powell-Hyde line, you can reward yourself with a hot fudge sundae at Ghirardelli Sq at the far end.

Big tip for cable cars: DO NOT WAIT LIKE THE OTHER TOURISTS in the big line at the Powell/Market start. Instead, take the California St cable car line. You may want to walk up the road a bit so you just hop onto the cable car at the next 1 or 2 stops, so you don't have to wait in line at the cable car start area (turnaround - the big turntable thingy - you'll see). 8)
  • Reply 12 of 33
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

It's warmer and sunnier here in NYC than in SF at the moment.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

My point was that the things you "suggested" were so generic that they could apply to any major city.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    BTW, the best clam chowder (served in a bread bowl) I had in SF was surprisingly at the airport, not at the pier or at any of the local restaurants.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    for an original American Irish Coffee. Corner of Hyde & Beach at Fisherman's Wharf. They make/pour about 2000 a day.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Fisherman's Wharf!

I love San Francisco. Beautiful city. Been a long time since I've visited, though.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    The modern art museum is right next door to Moscone Center.

Also, you can take the BART (Subway) on Market street into the Mission (16th or 24th street) and go have a buritto on one of the many Mission St restaurants. If you walk along (east) on 24ths street you can see some of the many murals that decorate the buildings in the Mission.

See: http://travel.nytimes.com/2005/11/20...b4fc2d&ei=5070
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Depending on how open you are to new experiences you really should check out the Castro. Its very close to where you will be. It is considered one of the birth places of the Gay rights movement. I was just there and as a gay person it is very cool to be in a place where 90% of the people are gay and straight people are the minority. The neighborhood has a ton of shops, good restaurants and bars. Its great people watching as well.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The best burger in the world is in Napa Valley. I forget its name, but it's the restaurant right across from the lone railway car--on the main road. Stay away from the Mondavi winery...tourist trap. Beringer's is worth the drive.

If you're planning on Alcatraz, buy tickets TODAY! None will be available if you wait 'til you get there.

One more thing...try not to stay in the Financial District. Sure, the Apple store is there, but not much else. It's. Just. Nasty.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    mat9mat9 Posts: 1member
    You should go to Yerba Buena Gardens which is like right next to the Moscone Convention Center, oh and you should go eat at Bucca Italian Eatery that place is GREAT I think it's on the street across from Moscone West. You should check out the new mall too it's pretty cool there's a ton of stores and random restaurants in that whole area so you'll probably find something. You can also go to the Metreon which is right across the street and watch a movie if you don't walk and of course Fisherman's Warf & Pier 39 are great. Well yeah hope you have fun in San Francisco.