Why I dislike Apple

Comments

• Reply 101 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

obviously, you have no family, children, mortgage or impending debts as most people have who have commented negatively. I see the Mac as an everyday man's machine and quite frankly, only snobs who are only interested in high performance and exclusiveness want to hold back the Mac's appeal to the masses.

It reminds me of Scientology, as this group enjoys the lectures of life from L Ron Hubbard yet only appeals to the few who can afford to join, and those who are a part of it rave about the doctrine.

That is an incredibly stupid assumption...

Can you not abstract this discussion outside of your own existence?
  • Reply 102 of 156
    Quote:

You may have a point, however, a friend of mine is running OSX 10.4 on a G4 700Mhz and it runs fine and another friend is running OSX 10.3 on a 450Hhz G4, so it may work..........

It'll run, and I suppose if you aren't picky it might be usable, but these are really old machines. For Apple to ship brand NEW computers running at these speds would cause people to make the general assumption that ALL Macs are this slow and clunky, even the ones that aren't.

I guess it doesn't really matter, it is just another option for those on a tight budget, but I just can't imagine anyone buying it. Being on a budget SO tight that you would settle for a machine with such poor performance seems kind of harsh.
  • Reply 103 of 156
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Well because putting it any other way does not work on you

Apple will not do it because it goes against their core business. The idea is not to take down Microsoft with Massive Price Undercuts and old, unsupported hardware, but to gradually gain marketshare against Microsoft OEMs.

Apple DOES NOT CARE if they are dominant in the market, they are putting much more focus into ensuring the iTunes platform will be dominant in it's market instead.

Whether or not I care about Apple going bankrupt or not, which I do, it doesn't matter. Apple cares about Apple not going bankrupt.

Sebastian
  • Reply 104 of 156
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Artman, is that an illustration of technology transfer? Where does the photo come from?

WRT the long complaints: before using Speech, try using Summerize (Services menu). Here is an example of the result.

Quote:

The way that Apple stubbornly refuses to own up to its mistakes serves only to convince me that some people don't seem to mind that it likes to require schoolchildren to be taught that national-security interests can and should be sidestepped whenever its institutional interests are at stake.

...As I have indicated, even if one is opposed to ultra-inconsiderate antipluralism (and I am), then surely, Apple's claim that its way of life is correct and everyone else's isn't is not only an attack on the concept of objectivity, but an assault on the human mind.

Before I start, however, I should state that to understand what Airsoft4Life's particularly complacent form of antiheroism has encompassed as a movement and as a system of rule, we have to look at its historical context and development as a form of scary politics that first arose in early twentieth-century Europe in response to rapid social upheaval, the devastation of World War I, and the Bolshevik Revolution.

...These letters are typically couched in gutter language (which is doubtless the language in which Airsoft4Life habitually thinks) and serve no purpose other than to convince me that when one examines the ramifications of letting him bamboozle people into believing that the Universe belongs to him by right, one finds a preponderance of evidence leading to the conclusion that this is not the place to develop that subject.

...Believe me, I would give everything I own to be wrong on that point, but the truth is that I want to give people more information about Airsoft4Life, help them digest and assimilate and understand that information, and help them draw responsible conclusions from it. Here's one conclusion I indeed hope people draw: Even if one isn't completely conversant with current events, the evidence overwhelmingly indicates that for those of us who make our living trying to raise issues, as opposed to guns or knives, it is important to consider that if he is going to make an emotional appeal, then he should also include a rational argument.

...Here, too, we can see how there isn't a man, woman, or child alive today who thinks that the Eleventh Commandment is, "Thou shalt empty the meaning of such concepts as 'self,' 'justice,' 'freedom,' and other profundities", so let's toss out that ridiculous argument of Airsoft4Life's from the get-go.

...It was a fact long before anyone realized that many people are shocked when I tell them that Airsoft4Life's cohorts are once again out begging for signatures for some lackadaisical petition that makes it legal for Airsoft4Life to usher in the beginning of an uncontrollable new era of cynicism.

...Given Airsoft4Life's current mind-set, once one begins thinking about free speech, about purblind, quasi-nit-picky dingbats who use ostracism and public opinion to prevent the airing of views contrary to their own self-centered beliefs, one realizes that Airsoft4Life's exegeses are destructive.

...If you think about it, you'll realize that Airsoft4Life's warning is a self-fulfilling prophecy in the sense that Airsoft4Life asserts that the best way to reduce cognitive dissonance and restore homeostasis to one's psyche is to require religious services around the world to begin with "Airsoft4Life is great; Airsoft4Life is good; we thank Airsoft4Life for our daily food".

But let me remind you that this letter is written with the hope that readers will think for a minute about the situation at hand.... I'd like nothing more than to extend my hand in friendship to Gregmightdothat's slaves and convey my hope that in the days to come we can work together to give our young people the values that will inspire them to think outside the box. Unfortunately, knowing them, they'd rather feed us a diet of robbery, murder, violence, and all other manner of trials and tribulations because that's what Gregmightdothat wants. You've never heard that his intention is to develop a Pavlovian reflex in us, to make us afraid to review the basic issues at the root of the debate?... But if you keep your eyes open, you'll notice that I frequently talk about how I pledge -- in my daily life, in my family, my work, my community, my country, and my region -- to uplift individuals and communities on a global scale to express our concerns about his politically incorrect expostulations.... But we ought to look at the matter in a broader framework before we draw final conclusions on the subject: We see that Gregmightdothat wants to mold the mind of virtually every citizen -- young or old, rich or poor, simple or sophisticated.

...Specifically, the pressures and stresses that Gregmightdothat's habitués undergo lead them to fill our children's minds with brazen and debasing superstitions.... Assuming the answer is "a substantial amount", let me point out that in a recent essay, Gregmightdothat stated that women are crazed Pavlovian sex-dogs who will salivate at any object even remotely phallic in shape.... Let me just say that the central paradox of Gregmightdothat's zingers, the twist that makes Gregmightdothat's actions so irresistible to soulless criticasters, is that these people truly believe that black is white and night is day.

...Although he demonstrates a great deal of ignorance and presumption when he says that he does the things he does "for the children", the fact remains that after hearing about his aberrant attempts to ruin my entire day, I was saddened.

...And I oppose them because they will violate all the rules of decorum within a short period of time.

I plan to work within the system to persuade my fellow citizens that I, hardheaded cynic that I am, can't let Random Complaint Generator threaten, degrade, poison, bulldoze, and kill this world of ours, not because I lack the courage for more drastic steps, but because I have to wonder where it got the idea that it is my view that the moon is made of green cheese.... Here, I'm not just talking about evolution in a simply Darwinist sense; I'm also talking about how Random Complaint Generator might galvanize a neurotic hysteria, a large-scale version of the lackadaisical mentality that can cause one-sided flimflams to be entered into historical fact, sooner than you think.

...If you don't think that a lot of people may end up getting hurt before the final spasm of Random Complaint Generator's rage is played out, then you've missed the whole point of this letter.

...But if you read its writings while mentally in focus and weigh each point carefully, it's clear that if it thinks that it can make me drop to my knees and beg for mercy, then it's barking up the wrong tree.

...While Random Complaint Generator is undoubtedly entitled to ignore good advice from intelligent people, it claims to have turned over a new leaf shortly after getting caught trying to advocate its precepts amid a hue and cry as disaffected as it is bookish.... The truth is that I admit I have a tendency to become a bit insensitive whenever I rebuke Random Complaint Generator for trying to declare martial law, suspend elections, and round up dissidents (i.e., anyone who does not buy its lie that the ideas of "freedom" and "plagiarism" are Siamese twins).

...Yes, I could add that the common denominator of all of its screeds is that they seek to allow federally funded research to mushroom into a sick, grossly inefficient system, hampered by vile antagonists and combative trolls, but I wanted to keep my message simple and direct.

• Reply 105 of 156
    This takes me back to many years ago here at AI when the boards were saturated with "Why I hate macs, Why I hate PCs" threads.
  • Reply 106 of 156
    Thanks ever so much.......
  • Reply 107 of 156
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Does anyone else find it strange that one would actively participate on a fansite of a company which you do not even like? For me, I usually choose companies that I like (Apple being one of them).
  • Reply 108 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvb View Post

Does anyone else find it strange that one would actively participate on a fansite of a company which you do not even like? For me, I usually choose companies that I like (Apple being one of them).

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Why would you go onto an Apple forum and post an anti-Apple rant? No one is going to agree with you..
  • Reply 109 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Airsoft4Life View Post

[...]

Thanks for the time. Buy Windows.

As if writing crappy generic letters would sell your peace of shit called "Vista" any better, Mr. Gates

(Can't be Ballmer: He doesn't know more than 25-50 words)
  • Reply 110 of 156
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Why would you go onto an Apple forum and post an anti-Apple rant? No one is going to agree with you..

Exactly. I've never seen someone who posted on forums in which they have interest in. Sounds pretty stupid.
  • Reply 111 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Markus1982 View Post

As if writing crappy generic letters would sell your peace of shit called "Vista" any better, Mr. Gates

(Can't be Ballmer: He doesn't know more than 25-50 words)

Some Random Numbers:

Vista will be on 85% of PCs by the end of the year

With Boot Camp, Microsoft's Potential User Base Grew by ~5%, about 1 Third of that would be able to install Vista right now, by the end of 2007, probably about 50% of that will be able to due to the Intel Chips, and Apple will probably gain about another 1-2% in the overall market. Microsoft has no need to sell it any better.

Oh, and the long rant he made was generated by a Random Complaint Generator. It must've been Ballmer

Sebastian
  • Reply 112 of 156
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

This thread should be under temporary insanity.

How do we know this is not permanent insanity?
  • Reply 113 of 156
    Quote:

hey just trying to sell to the masses. You have a mortgage and kids that wanna go to college? As for the G

I'm not unsympathetic, but I still think your expectations are unrealistic.

Quote:

As for FCP 5---its crap, I am an Avid user, though I am skilled in FCP. Its a child's toy.

There's a guy that I know that's kind of saying the opposite. He doesn't like Macs that much but prefers FCP to Avid, saying that Avid's way requires too much more work to do the same thing. He even suggested that Avid is designed that way to guarantee work for an editor. His job provides him an Avid system but he still takes it to his own FCP system to do the work.
  • Reply 114 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

So you want all models to be loss leaders?

...and pieces of shite. Generally stuff that cheap isn't any good. I think the prices of Apple stuff is a tad high but the prices suggested basically imply that there is no additional value to Apple products, wanting to buy Apple stuff at ECS/FIC prices. Stuff made by the lowest bidder isn't always a good value.
  • Reply 115 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Some Random Numbers:

How can you possibly arrive at that number? Do you mean that many percent of NEW PCs?
  • Reply 116 of 156
    Quote:

I'm saying is to START them out at the proposed processors, all the way up to the Core 2. Like the

Honda Civic barebones model with roll-up windows offering up to the $39,000 Si Model. The slower $17,000

coupe is like having a Mac run on the lower end processors.

To me, if you want to use the tired auto analogies, from your suggested pricing, it sounds like you are asking for a Honda at Kia prices.
  • Reply 117 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How can you possibly arrive at that number? Do you mean that many percent of NEW PCs?

It was a random Analyst number I saw thrown around on Informationweek so I ran with it.

Sebastian
  • Reply 118 of 156
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

haha, yes, I am aware. There is no bloody way anybody would be able to write that much bullshit without doing it for money. My second post was just becaues I felt like being an ass hole. My first post was because I felt that something good should come of this thread.

Bullshit. You fell for it hook, line, and sinker.
  • Reply 119 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Some Random Numbers:

Sorry, WRONG. Microsoft really wants to sell Vista as a retail box, because thats where they get the biggest margins. But who will really buy this pos called vista, an overpriced and very late service pack to XP? That implies that your 85% have to come mostly from sold pcs with preinstalled vista. Do you really think >80% of all computers will be replaced in 2007?

All windows-versions before proved the opposite.
    Quote:

With Boot Camp, Microsoft's Potential User Base Grew by ~5%, about 1 Third of that would be able to install Vista right now, by the end of 2007, probably about 50% of that will be able to due to the Intel Chips, and Apple will probably gain about another 1-2% in the overall market.

Sorry, but as far as i can see, very few Macuser need Windows and install. A few more of the switchers need it temporarily. But I can't see how anyone would buy (BUY!) Vista to install in Bootcamp or Parallels. This will not bring much cash to ballmers hands. And the switchers who feel a little safer in buying a Mac, now that it does windows as well, will soon realize they don't need no more windows.
    Quote:

Microsoft has no need to sell it any better.

They do desperately. The market is changing. Microsofts only way to get people to use Windows is by preinstalling it on every pc. Hardware vendors are more and more pissed to depend on a crappy outdated and slow system.

I think in the next 5-10 years most hardware companys like hp and dell will use linux-distros with their own window-manager and gui to give people a better experience and have more control like Apple does. I strongly belief Microsofts management is scared to death by this -- or they don't even see this yet coming.

I apologize for my bad english. I'm not a native speaker. But I know what I'm talking about, concerning computer history and the market.
  • Reply 120 of 156
    Has anyone ever heard of 'less is more'? Or how about 'quality, not quantity'? These little diatribes are the most wordy and useless things I've ever read. Everyone in here is bored of reading them, and the sad thing is that they can be summarized in about a paragraph. We allll get it!