Could a mythical MacBook Pro "ultralite" have a solid state drive?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just been reading this article on CNET:

SanDisk rolls out flash hard drives for laptops

It's basically a 32GB flash drive, which takes up only the space of a 1.8" standard iPod drive.

That means a notebook maker could reduce the volume by the entire area under the right palm rest. If they also took out the optical drive, it could get very small.

And no moving parts means less battery power needed, which means a smaller battery, further reducing the size and the weight. Think regular iPod -> iPod nano.

Just think: a very thin, very light MacBook Pro, with no moving parts. Completely solid state and extremely robust (no jolting of unparked drive heads, etc). Could boot OS X in half the time, or restore from sleep almost instantly.

Even though SanDisk have said laptops with this drive will appear in Q1 2007, I don't think Apple will have one next Tuesday.

But I'm damn sure I'd buy one if they did!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Or, they could thow one in an ipod.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    "The drive will also add about $600 to the cost of a notebook. Those prices will crimp sales, Handy said."

I think it would be hard to convince myself to spend that much more money on such a small drive. Sure it's a good product, but prices are too high and capacities too low to be practical.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    If you are already forking out the cash for a MBP, you probably have another 500 for the sheer convenience this would add, if that convenience was truly important to you.

Let's look at at like this, though: smaller form factor overall, smaller, lighter, cheaper battery. LEDs are coming out in screens and that again will save battery power.

You could have a much lighter machine with longer battery life than now plus added performance.

I'd pay an extra 500.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    E Ink technology has arrived.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    I would rather have a larger/thicker MacBook than an Ultrathin with a 30gb hard drive. It wouldn't last very long at all and I have no use for it. Maybe I am alone in this, but I have never had a hard time carrying a 15" laptop around with me all day. What do you ultra-portable laptop users do on a daily basis that requires such extra mobility?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    It might be interesting if it is removable.

I could then take my 30 gigs of business apps with me and leave my other crap at home.

or, on my ipod with 100 gb of storage.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvb View Post

I would rather have a larger/thicker MacBook than an Ultrathin with a 30gb hard drive. It wouldn't last very long at all and I have no use for it. Maybe I am alone in this, but I have never had a hard time carrying a 15" laptop around with me all day. What do you ultra-portable laptop users do on a daily basis that requires such extra mobility?

I like jumping off of high buildings. UNtil now I have been limited to taking video. With this new product I could actually type my blog live - well, while still alive. Just kidding.

I have a 15" PB, I'm 6'2" and 100 kg even, spent the better part of my life carrying 20kg packs up the sides of mountains, and I find the 15 too heavy for daily use. You see, it now slips into a bag with my camera outfit (Canon EOS XTi, 75-300mm zoom lens, Panasonic 3CCD video cam - soon to be replaced with cam that uses only flash-, assorted batteries and such). Weight is a premium. The lower the weight, the better.

It's not the individual computer. It is when it is added to another collection that every gram counts, and the fewer grams, the greater my mobility.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    1.8" drives in ultra-thin notebooks make sense (they are already available in Japan), but Apple would have to give you a choice between a cheaper, larger regular drive and flash.