Briefly: Amazon's witty discretion on iWork '07 and iLife '07

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Online retailer Amazon.com is no longer listing Apple Computer's forthcoming iLife and iWork software suite upgrades on its website by name, but has alternatively drawn a chuckle or two.

The largest internet retailer on Wednesday turned up listings for four yet-to-be-announced Apple software products. Those products were iLife '07 and iWork '07, each of which was available in two versions -- a "Single User License" or a "Family Pack."

Apple, which attempts to keep a tight lid on even the most blatant of matters, appears to have disapproved.

As of Thursday evening, Amazon, rather amusingly, had renamed the four software listings to: Apple MacWorld 2007 Announcement #1, Apple MacWorld 2007 Announcement #2, Apple MacWorld 2007 Announcement #3, and Apple MacWorld 2007 Announcement #4.

Since introducing iLife at Macworld in 2003, Apple has used each consecutive Macworld to introduce new versions of the digital lifestyle suite, which includes iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand and iWeb applications.

In 2005, Apple unveiled iWork, a similar suite of software that includes productivity applications Pages and Keynote.

Next week's Macworld Expo is expected to play out no differently, producing updates to both iLife and iWork while possibly tossing a new spreadsheet application into the latter as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Hilarious! I love it.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Next week's Macworld Expo is expected to play out no differently...

I'm willing to bet Apple bundles iWork '07 and iLife '07 into Leoaprd. People will have no choice but to upgrade, and it will also be absolutely brilliant value. So Apple wins by getting everyone on the same platform, and the customers win, by getting the deal of the millennia!!

/I hope to God I right on this one, and I hope to God Steve didn't mislead us with that "complete package" statement, cause the way I see it, without both iLife '07 and iWork '07 included he has no right calling it the complete package!
  • Reply 3 of 53
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You know, I've seen you and others make that claim about what 'the complete package' means, and I've never bought it. To me, it simply means 'we provide complete solutions for the user to choose from', not 'we provide ONE FREAKING BIG BOX WITH EVERYTHING IN IT'.

Maybe you're right, but I really doubt it. Try not to get your hopes up too high, 'k? Post-MWSF is bad enough in the emergency depression triage around here without tossing around words like 'mislead'.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    cute.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

As of Thursday evening, Amazon, rather amusingly, had renamed the four software listings to: Apple MacWorld 2007 Announcement #1, Apple MacWorld 2007 Announcement #2, Apple MacWorld 2007 Announcement #3, and Apple MacWorld 2007 Announcement #4.

4 Announcements?

It seems Amazon knows more then they were letting on...

Sebastian
  • Reply 6 of 53
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    I laughed out loud reading this! seriously! and not in acronym form
  • Reply 7 of 53
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm willing to bet Apple bundles iWork '07 and iLife '07 into Leoaprd. People will have no choice but to upgrade, and it will also be absolutely brilliant value. So Apple wins by getting everyone on the same platform, and the customers win, by getting the deal of the millennia!!

/I hope to God I right on this one, and I hope to God Steve didn't mislead us with that "complete package" statement, cause the way I see it, without both iLife '07 and iWork '07 included he has no right calling it the complete package!

If everybody thinks Apple is to release the new version of iLife/iWork during MWSF, how will they bundle it with Leopard? Do you think Leopard will be released 4 days from now?

On a side note, I personally think the iLife bundles will not be released until a bit after MWSF. Steve may demo the apps during MWSF keynote but it is looking to me like they will be shipping later on. Later on meaning more inline with the actual ship date of Leopard... and no, that doesn't mean it will be included with Leopard.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    doesn't this happen every year?
  • Reply 9 of 53
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    4? Four?

OK, iwork and ilife are two of them?

What are the other 2?

Surely they have no idea. But it is interesting nonetheless...
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Could including iLife and iWork as part of the OS be seen as anti-competitive? MS had to offer versions of Windows without Windows Media Player in Europe because of that.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

4? Four?

What are the other 2?

Surely they have no idea. But it is interesting nonetheless...

Not really interesting...they're for the family packs. Read the original AI article.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post

If everybody thinks Apple is to release the new version of iLife/iWork during MWSF, how will they bundle it with Leopard? Do you think Leopard will be released 4 days from now?

On a side note, I personally think the iLife bundles will not be released until a bit after MWSF. Steve may demo the apps during MWSF keynote but it is looking to me like they will be shipping later on. Later on meaning more inline with the actual ship date of Leopard... and no, that doesn't mean it will be included with Leopard.

I hope not. I am hoping for a few enhancements in Keynote for a Jan 19 presentation submittal deadline. There are some rumors flying around that they will make some improvements on sounds and slides. I am crossing my fingers.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    They also list a .Mac 2007, which should be .Mac 05 if Apple follows suit from the previous offerings. I suspect that Apple has big plans for .Mac in 2007.

[LINK REMOVED FROM AMAZON]

I've posted this on several forums since this Amazon announcement came out 2 days ago, and I've absolutely no one has taken notice. I think it's more newsworthy than the soon to be released iLife and iWork which we all know is coming next week.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post

I suspect they will keep doing what they've been doing. They'll bundle it with new Macs. However, iWork will be a fully functional, trial version.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

4? Four?

What are the other 2?

There were single and family pack listings for each, thus 4 listings total.

Steve
  • Reply 16 of 53
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I hope not. I am hoping for a few enhancements in Keynote for a Jan 19 presentation submittal deadline. There are some rumors flying around that they will make some improvements on sounds and slides. I am crossing my fingers.

If history repeats itself though, you'd be better off waiting for for the .01 release following a couple of weeks after the first release as there's some glaring bug or they've forgotten some important feature - like deleting pages in Pages v1. Doh!

Hopefully I'm wrong this time though. Pages v2 and Keynote v3 have been remarkably stable for me. I'm really looking forward to a proper spreadsheet program though so I can finally pension off Excel and with that the whole of MS Office.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    And ThinkSecret is alleging the Spreadsheet application WILL ship and includes a screenshot.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0701iwork.html

The screenshot looks a little basic to me. There's no function inspector or function toolbar showing so it's difficult to tell how entering functions is done. I'd guess it'd be the Apple way using an inspector rather than the Microsoft/Lotus way of having a function entryfield in the toolbar, so get ready to buy that huge screen for all the floating inspectors. That will probably annoy switchers from MS Office just as many can't get their simple little heads around inspectors, simple toolbars and drag and drop in the Word to Pages switch.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

And ThinkSecret is alleging the Spreadsheet application WILL ship and includes a screenshot.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0701iwork.html

The screenshot looks a little basic to me. There's no function inspector or function toolbar showing so it's difficult to tell how entering functions is done. I'd guess it'd be the Apple way using an inspector rather than the Microsoft/Lotus way of having a function entryfield in the toolbar, so get ready to buy that huge screen for all the floating inspectors. That will probably annoy switchers from MS Office just as many can't get their simple little heads around inspectors, simple toolbars and drag and drop in the Word to Pages switch.

It's no less basic than Pages. Remember, this is a consumer oriented suite (ala Appleworks and MS Works), not a professional one like office.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a Leopard only iWork and iLife. According to here there are significant improvements in Objective-C 2.0, and many new APIs & libraries available in Leopard. I would expect Apple's internally developed software to take the best advantage of those improvements.

But if they do go 10.5 only, then 10.5 had best be released. Otherwise MacWorld turns into a big "in a few months..." and Apple doesn't do that.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Brilliant.