HD-DVD/Blue Ray in Macs-How Long?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The latest news about the whole High Def disc format seems to suggest universal players (thank god!). Anyone want to speculate on how long before they make it into the iMac? I just can't see buying an all-in-one with a standard def "Superdrive" with the HD format seeming so close to a standard. More wished for that Mid-Tower!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Only one company, LG, has committed to releasing a dual format player as far as I know, and the only talk I heard was for a home disc player, not a drive component for computer use.

I'd suspect that dual-format drives for computers are many months away, especially for R/W drives and slim form-factor laptop drives, and they'll be expensive in the foreseeable future. If you wanted the Holy Grail of a slim laptop drive that would read and write Blu-Ray, HD DVD, and all flavors of DVD and CD recordable media, it's hardly waiting just around the corner for you.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Only one company, LG, has committed to releasing a dual format player as far as I know, and the only talk I heard was for a home disc player, not a drive component for computer use.

I'd suspect that dual-format drives for computers are many months away, especially for R/W drives and slim form-factor laptop drives, and they'll be expensive in the foreseeable future. If you wanted the Holy Grail of a slim laptop drive that would read and write Blu-Ray, HD DVD, and all flavors of DVD and CD recordable media, it's hardly waiting just around the corner for you.

Yeah, I figured as much...Oh well, there's always the Firewire external option. Just hate having to go with an external drive.