New Product Name Guess Roundup

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MovieCutter View Post

iMac SE doesn't have the Apple spark

Are you sure about that? It's been used before...iMac DV SE.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Are you sure about that? It's been used before...iMac DV SE.

Yeah, but it's old, especially with recent product names like Nano, Aperture, Motion, Keynote, Shuffle, and Shuffle...

Simple, elegant, and wholly obvious names that just define the product in a simple word. They don't call the black MacBook the MacBook SE, though you could argue it is a "special edition".
  • Reply 23 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

I hope this functionality will be included in Numbers®.

That functionality is already included in Keynote. I'm talking about a light-weight dedicated Chart-making-app. If a teacher needed to make a chart for class, wasn't doing a presentation, and didn't need any of the functionality in Pages, she/he could use Charts®. Simple little app., opens in a snap, bang out the chart, boom your done!
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That functionality is already included in Keynote. I'm talking about a light-weight dedicated Chart-making-app. If a teacher needed to make a chart for class, wasn't doing a presentation, and didn't need any of the functionality in Pages, she/he could use Charts®. Simple little app., opens in a snap, bang out the chart, boom your done!

That almost sounds like something Apple would just include in OS X. A basic app like text edit or calculator or even something like iCal.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:

DatabaseMaker is the lamest product name I've ever heard for an Apple product. Eclipse doesn't make any sense, videoPod is wholly unoriginal, iMac SE doesn't have the Apple spark, Numbers is probably right.

I know CosmoNut wants this to be a serious thread, but some of my guesses weren't that serious.

DatabaseMaker is a play on FileMaker, whose main task is not to make files, but databases.

Eclipse sounds good to me, it doesn't have to make much sense, much like iPod didn't scream "mp3 player". But it was just a wild guess, based on the Apple home page teaser image. The iTV could "eclipse" other means of having entertainment on your TV (well except gaming of course).

As for iMac SE, I don't think it needs a wild catchy name, the look and features would be what would distinguish it from other Macs. The Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh didn't have a very original name either. The Mac SE was very popular, it would be a nostalgic reference.

Anyway I don't understand how posts in this thread warrant such harsh criticism, as people are simply taking wild guesses, that's how a brainstorming session works. Most of the obvious and better names already have been discussed.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    It's not a personal attack, merely a critique on your choices of names. I don't know how your brain storming sessions work, but in the creative world, among my colleagues, if an idea sucks, we say so, always with a smile on our face and humor in our tone, but we say so. Besides, I decided to take a Jobsonian approach to your ideas.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Apple should have continued with naming things after apples. The Apples I and II, the Macintosh, the Newton... That is playful and yet makes sense at the same time.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:

It's not a personal attack, merely a critique on your choices of names. I don't know how your brain storming sessions work, but in the creative world, among my colleagues, if an idea sucks, we say so, always with a smile on our face and humor in our tone, but we say so. Besides, I decided to take a Jobsonian approach to your ideas.

Oh well it's ok, maybe I overreacted, maybe I'm too sensitive
  • Reply 29 of 55
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Quote:

..but they are lower case i?

The i's fine, but the suffix names need to be lower case. The official names are iPod, iPod nano, iPod shuffle.

Thus, to correct your suggestions:

Music phone: iPod phone

Smart phone: iPod smartphone

Fullscreen iPod: iPod movie

Now, that's much more Apple-like!

But I think it's more likely to be something like:

Music phone: iPod communicator

Smart phone: n/a

Fullscreen iPod: iPod

Why?

A name like iPod communicator or iPod talker or something else on the "communicate with each other theme" is more Apple's style. Leave the plain "Zune Phone Edition" for Microsoft.

The smart phone won't be a separate product, rather it's what the phone will eventually become, the same way the original iPod picked up calendars, games, etc.

And the fullscreen, movie capable iPod won't need a suffix as it will be the sixth generation, 100GB model, so just the iPod.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see either of them of them on Tuesday. Instead, Steve will say, "Hi guys, this is a Mac show, and we've got some great things for your Mac to show you."
  • Reply 30 of 55
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Good suggestion.

Although, most charts are based on data, which is probably going to have been collated in Numbers. If there is going to be a spreadsheet, including the charting features in that software would be the natural place.

I know Apple likes to use separate apps instead of rolling everything into one big app (eg, Entourage's email & addresses & scheduling, vs. Mail, Address Book, iCal), but I think having too many apps for the same data and constantly swapping between them could be a bad thing.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    despite finding the endless iThis and iThat rather repetitive...

ive just been hit by an idea for the iTV name

The Apple Retina. What do you think?

i personally think its about as unlikely as all the others, but i thought it sounded good enough to share
  • Reply 32 of 55
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    "iPhone": iPod Talk

"iTV": iStation, Apple Media Station, iStream

Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod Video WS

Tablet: x

30th Anniv. Mac: 30th Anniv. iMac

Spreadsheet app in iWork: Cells or Numbers

Database app in iWork: Data, Organize or Relate
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

The smart phone won't be a separate product, rather it's what the phone will eventually become, the same way the original iPod picked up calendars, games, etc.

part of me agrees with that, but then part of me says that Apple have to have a BIG HORSE out thru the gate to start with... well fairly big...well...bigish...

well just a damn PHONE FOR FECK SAKE!

would do.... dont you think
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Database app in iWork: Relate

isnt Relate a marriage guidance service? oh thats funny... tears in my eyes laughing as Steve announces that one
  • Reply 35 of 55
    "iPhone": mobiliti (get gone)

"iTV": iScreen (with two scoops please)

Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod Touchi (watch movies through the smudged fingerprints)

Tablet: iDontThinkSo (what the heck is OWC thinking???)

30th Anniv. Mac: iMac pudge (a little thicker around the middle, but still cute)

Spreadsheet app in iWork: iXcel (what's another lawsuit?)

Database app in iWork: iLL getIt (what you want?)
  • Reply 36 of 55
    iPhone=callPod

iTV=iVideo

Tablet=Macpad Pro

Widescreen iPod=telePod

That's what I think, not exactly revolutionary, but it sorta keeps with the current names
  • Reply 37 of 55
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Apple phone will be called "Aloha"
  • Reply 38 of 55
    I highly doubt the iPhone will be called the "iPod Phone" You think people want to use a 2 word name for something when...macphone (just as example) is much easier to say?
  • Reply 39 of 55
    iPhone - The Apple Core

iTV - Apple Media Center

"True video iPod" just becomes - iPod
  • Reply 40 of 55
    The spreadsheet app should be called "Census." The iWork apps seem to be named after the product that you create with them. And not just the simple product (Keynote is not called "Presentation" or "Slideshow") but the lavish, great product that could be created with them. "Keynote" is not something most users will make with that software, but they could. So "Numbers" makes no sense, as that isn't the product to be created with the software. And "Spreadsheet" is too simple, again, Keynote is not called "Slideshow." Hence, "Census."

The iTV should be called "Front Row." It will essentially do the same thing as Front Row, the software that ships with Macs and the physical device can become interchangeable.

The iPhone should be called "iTalk." It will use the "i" naming convention, as they will want to maximize off the iPod's success, and also it will integrate with iTunes. The "i" devices are generally named after the thing you do with them, in its passive form, not the "verb" form of it. iTunes is not "iListen," which would be the activity you do with it, but "iTunes," the thing you manipulate with it. In "iMovie," "Movie" is not a verb. They could have used "iFilm," as in "I film stuff," but they do not use the actions, rather they use the product. "iCal" is passive, rather than the action, "iSchedule." For the phone, "iChat" would be the perfect name, but that is already taken. There is the possibility that Apple will combine their phone and their iChat app into one. The text messaging could be integrated somehow with iChat, and then the phone would be called 'iChat." But this is unlikely, so I would go with "iTalk."

There is also the possibility that the new video iPod and the phone will be the same device, and it will just be called the iPod, but this, too, is highly unlikely.