Wireless USB

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is there any rumor of Wireless USB in future Apple hardware? This sounds really nice because, for example, I don't like having to plug my laptop into my scanner when I want to scan something.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault View Post

Is there any rumor of Wireless USB in future Apple hardware? This sounds really nice because, for example, I don't like having to plug my laptop into my scanner when I want to scan something.

Connect the scanner via bluetooth or ethernet is probably a simpler solution right now. I'm not sure where wireless USB will be useful, really. Flash memory requires power, iPods charge on wired USB, printers are network enabled, which is far more useful, HDDs should prefer wired connections like Firewire or eSATA for reliability, DV-cameras also use firewire, and mice and keyboards work well on bluetooth. A good thing is that it doesn't require physical space on a laptop for example, so more devices can be connected without using a hub. Naturally, those devices need have transmitters and receivers of their own...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    All of that is easily worked around--it's akin to the whole powered hub vs. unpowered hub thing back when the iMac came out. Over time, saavy users will just know which devices work and which won't. We'll lead the rest.

However, I think this tech needs to mature (and shrink) before we see it on motherboards.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Why don't they just make a new wireless standard to do everything so we have wifi, bluetooth and wireless USB on the same technology so we don't have to keep buying as many adaptors to do the same thing?

I also don't think it will take off because a lot of devices require power so they are either going to need a separate power supply even if it's batteries. Power supplies defeat the purpose of wireless and batteries make devices heavy and unreliable.

When they figure out how to transmit power over wireless then we're getting somewhere and some technology has suggested it may be possible but it'll be a while yet.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

...When they figure out how to transmit power over wireless then we're getting somewhere and some technology has suggested it may be possible but it'll be a while yet.

Nikola Tesla already figured out how to transmit power without wires. Why it's still treated like science fiction I don't know.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I think eventually (2008 ) Intel will make WUSB free and built-in, so Apple will also adopt it.