Steve Jobs on the way out?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    I posted this over at Mac Rumors and I thought I would add it to the discussion here too:

You may think i'm crazy but... it 'seems' that Jonathan Ive would be a damn good replacement for Steve when he eventually/inevitably retires. Ive's been on the scene for a long time now and judging from previous articles he and jobs are very like minded; they see eye to eye. Plus he has the superior design/functionality/engineering balance that have created some of Apples most successful products to date.

With the backing of other prominent members such as Phil Schiller, it could probably continue in much the same way.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

His side-kicks have shown that they're not up to taking over. Bertrand Serlet looked like a drunk, ok he's French so maybe that's a style but still. Every guy that came on during the keynote, I just wanted them to put Steve back on.

Haha

I agree, and the prospect of him leaving is very worrisome. I have, however, two thoughts:

1. something very extreme and unlikely would have to happen in order for him to leave for more than a short period of time. Apple is part of his identity, and he evidently loves it, and will always have much to contribute

2. if he left, Apple would continue to be a cool company for at least a while (what with the corporate culture, and the not-to-be-forgotten hundreds of other cool people in the company, etc.); maybe not AS cool or innovative, but we would still get great (insanely, even) products, and the stockholders could still count on above-average returns because the company would still have real value to create
  • Reply 23 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'd be okay with Ive at the helm. Of the executive team, he seems to be the most visionary.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    The original article that was repeated (and toned down) stated that Jobs was leaving because of his pancreatic cancer returning. The info came from a "reliable source" at a short selling firm, and was reported by another short seller.

Here's a link to get started:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=4227

There's a link there to the article on the Ten rumors.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

and one more thing, the iCasket, plays your favorite tunes....forever. Comes in white or black, 5.1 or 7.1 sound, 100gb or 120gb. iSight with bluetooth for your loved ones to view your slowly decaying remains which will rock out and move to the music.

oh that's horrible.

i nearly got sick LAUGHING!!
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

and one more thing, the iCasket, plays your favorite tunes....forever. Comes in white or black, 5.1 or 7.1 sound, 100gb or 120gb. iSight with bluetooth for your loved ones to view your slowly decaying remains which will rock out and move to the music.

oh that's horrible.

hahaha

thats funniest thing i've read in ages

lol icasket
  • Reply 27 of 44
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Floppy or Hard Drive?

Neither.

Zip.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Love the iCasket comment! Jobs aint going anywhere! And I bet Apple have the best medical plan ever!
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

I posted this over at Mac Rumors and I thought I would add it to the discussion here too:

You may think i'm crazy but... it 'seems' that Jonathan Ive would be a damn good replacement for Steve when he eventually/inevitably retires. Ive's been on the scene for a long time now and judging from previous articles he and jobs are very like minded; they see eye to eye. Plus he has the superior design/functionality/engineering balance that have created some of Apples most successful products to date.

With the backing of other prominent members such as Phil Schiller, it could probably continue in much the same way.

Ive may be a good driver of design at Apple but there is no way he can bring the life experiences Jobs brings to Apple. Steve started the company and came back to bring it back from the edge of irrelevancy. Jonathan Ive has not started a company of his own and brought products of his own to market. Steve is the alpha and omega.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    If I was Steve I would create the worlds largest super computer network and let the best minds in science have at it. I bet he could build one bad X serve cluster. With his money, I would open a freekn medical division at Apple and have them write software for cancer and aids (etc.) research.

That is not a joke. I would do that.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Cancer research (and most medical research) is not in need of Xserve and software, not as a high priority. It's in need of equipment and staff funds and research resources which are mostly logistic in nature. Even if Steve or Apple could contribute significantly (and they can't), throwing money at a problem like cancer is no guarantee of results. It's the best we can reasonably do, but the best we can reasonably do may not be magically effective.

Sorry about the off-topic rant, I just get annoyed at the attitude that cancer could be cured if only we worked harder on it. Countless people are doing just that every day.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

Cancer research (and most medical research) is not in need of Xserve and software, not as a high priority. It's in need of equipment and staff funds and research resources which are mostly logistic in nature. Even if Steve or Apple could contribute significantly (and they can't), throwing money at a problem like cancer is no guarantee of results. It's the best we can reasonably do, but the best we can reasonably do may not be magically effective.

Sorry about the off-topic rant, I just get annoyed at the attitude that cancer could be cured if only we worked harder on it. Countless people are doing just that every day.

Than I retract my statement and I would do what you suggest.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    A quote from Steve: "Why would I ever want to run Disney? Wouldn't it make more sense just to sell them Pixar and retire?" (in Fortune magazine 2004)
  • Reply 34 of 44
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    There is one Canidate for Apple

He/She is so different then Jobs that he is exactly like Jobs at the same time

He/She is an incredible Visionary with a very good background in everything that seems irrelevant but really makes a difference

He/She can make the Stock Rocket into Space just by looking at Investors

He/She will put more focus on the Enterprise market and turn Keynote into a Landmark Product

He/She will have a statue of Steve Jobs built on every Planet, Moon, Dwarf Planet, and Sun in the Universe

I wonder who He/She is?

Sebastian

PS: That iCasket idea is absolutely HORRIBLE! I like it
  • Reply 35 of 44
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

There is one Canidate for Apple

He/She is so different then Jobs that he is exactly like Jobs at the same time

He/She is an incredible Visionary with a very good background in everything that seems irrelevant but really makes a difference

He/She can make the Stock Rocket into Space just by looking at Investors

He/She will put more focus on the Enterprise market and turn Keynote into a Landmark Product

He/She will have a statue of Steve Jobs built on every Planet, Moon, Dwarf Planet, and Sun in the Universe

I wonder who He/She is?

Sebastian

PS: That iCasket idea is absolutely HORRIBLE! I like it

Bill Gates?

Bill Clinton?

OPRAH?!?! Oh my god, it's Oprah isn't it?
  • Reply 36 of 44
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n View Post

Bill Gates?

Bill Clinton?

OPRAH?!?! Oh my god, it's Oprah isn't it?

lmao

lol

WTF LOLZ LMFAO ROFL

Sebastian
  • Reply 37 of 44
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    There is no one at Apple I am confident in that can take his place. Leaving now would be a really bad move. He is the only one in upper management that has any confidence, or self-esteem that can lend stability and credibility to Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Nooooo Steve! Dont Leave Me!!
  • Reply 39 of 44
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

If I was Steve I would create the worlds largest super computer network and let the best minds in science have at it. I bet he could build one bad X serve cluster. With his money, I would open a freekn medical division at Apple and have them write software for cancer and aids (etc.) research.

That is not a joke. I would do that.

I posted something like that a while ago after the xServes came out and the whole Big Mac cluster at Virginia Tech. Except that I thought it should have been a donation from Apple to some non-profit or some academic institution (Johns Hopkins, Emory, or some AIDS or cancer research institute).

I remember doing the math and I seem to remember the total price tag coming to something like $30 million to create the world's fastest supercomputer (based on PPC xServes).

It would have shown off the xServes power, their price/performance ratio, gotten a whole hell of a lot of good press and goodwill, been a nice tax write-off, and maybe convinced IBM to actually spend some money on the G5. (And who knows, it may even have been instumental in some important medical discovery that could actually save lives.)
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Why not just donate computers to schools? That would help educate the young, which would save more lives than any research into cancer, AIDS or badbreath combined.