apple store story

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
apple store dude shared this fairly uninteresting story with me today:

nationwide IT person and nationwide Graphics person walk into Apple store, look around etc.

Apple employee: So IT person, do you deal with macs at all?

IT Person: Nationwide doesn't have any macs.

Graphic Person: Yes we do, we have 32 of them! But all we have is PC problems, so you have no need to hear about our lovely macs.

That's all. I bet you're glad i posted. I'm going to bed now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Apple.

True.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Apple.

True.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Hi, I'm a new mac user (since 4months ago-since I realized the difference with the PC-which many PC users should do that), however I'm Nikola from Macedonia-soon going there from Tokyo- so I just wanna know is there any apple store in my country, because I cannot find on net....

...Thnx!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    nationwide IT person and nationwide Graphics person walk into Apple store, look around etc.

Apple employee: So IT person, do you deal with macs at all?

IT Person: Nationwide doesn't have any macs.

Graphic Person: Yes we do, we have 32 of them! But all we have is PC problems, so you have no need to hear about our lovely macs.

Apple employee: Why is that?

IT Person: Because there are more fingers on my hands than there are Mac-based programs you can use for business.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Apple employee: Why, how many fingers do you think you *need*?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    kickaha---i hate to say this although the OSX platform is no doubt superior, big biz, corps, etc use Win-based programs for all of their needs. At one of the places I freelance at, even the payroll timesheet program is Win-based, let alone the Avid-based network-wide communications port.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Oh I know that - I just find it amusing/annoying when Business Person X says "Yeah, but there are like 10 times as many apps for Windows!", as if they want to have four or five word processors at any given time.

What they *mean* to say is "Yeah, but *a specific app I need* doesn't have a Mac-based solution available." which is very different.

Of course, then you get into the situation where those solutions actually *do* exist, but they're not willing to entertain the idea anyway. *shrug*
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

kickaha---i hate to say this although the OSX platform is no doubt superior, big biz, corps, etc use Win-based programs for all of their needs. At one of the places I freelance at, even the payroll timesheet program is Win-based, let alone the Avid-based network-wide communications port.

Unfortunately, you are correct.

Recently, though, I've been able to convert a business to 90% Apple desktops ... the remaining software, which wasn't available for OSX, runs happily enough in Parallels that the owner was convinced to switch. The remaining non-Apple computers in the office are running the PBX and the back-end for a national WAN (connecting retail stores).

Of course, this kind of switch won't be possible for a large majority of businesses.

The biggest hurdle to increasing Apple marketshare, in a business environment, is the lack of cross-platform financial software. Quicken just doesn't cut it! If a major accounting software package (let's say AccPac) became available - with complete feature parity - for OSX, I think you'd see a lot of businesses taking a serious look at Apple hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Kichaha---

I seriously believe, besides why Mac went with Intel for the Core 2 Duo chip (Motorolla couldnt make a chip thatb was smaller, cooler, etc) is that Macs can switch over to WIN.

For the very reason of ppl who like me, work for big corps can switch platforms on the same computer to work on business-related PC programs. I just wish Apple could write more programs or be able to use (like Word, etc) on the OSX platform.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    fatcatdj, you do realize that there's a Mac version of Word... right? Or were you just misspeaking?

You are right, however, that moving to Intel has resulted in a potentially huge win for Apple - one of the major barriers to switchers is gone.

Also, as audiopollution says, you might want to seriously consider using Parallels instead of completely booting over to Windows. That lets you limit the Windows use to simply the apps that require it, without incurring the overhead of flipping back and forth.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

fatcatdj, you do realize that there's a Mac version of Word... right? Or were you just misspeaking?

You are right, however, that moving to Intel has resulted in a potentially huge win for Apple - one of the major barriers to switchers is gone.

Also, as audiopollution says, you might want to seriously consider using Parallels instead of completely booting over to Windows. That lets you limit the Windows use to simply the apps that require it, without incurring the overhead of flipping back and forth.

I was making an example of the Word crossing over. Audio is right however there are some programs that will not cross over, I've tried it. What happens a window comes up saying I dont have permission to do that. However, it may be better in the future. Our IP guys are nerds who dont like us doing certain things either (they are NY-based, not like down the hall)

But thats the dilemma I'm in. By the way-----I just edited a story on Final Cut Poop 5 that will be airing this Sunday on the Headlines News Channel between 12 noon and 8pm, its a story on a musician named Donavon Frankenreiter. Catch it and see the nice Boris Red effects I threw on it.