Numbers/Charts Screenshot Appears on ThinkSecret

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Given this site?s track record, I say they?re fake or from a very early build. There?s an icon, screenshot and list of speculated features.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0701iwork.html

Smells fishy to me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I believe it, only because it appears to be very underpowered. That's what I would expect from a first version. Usually fakes throw too many bells and whistles into the mix. Apple errs on the side of simplicity, iWeb 1.0 and Pages 1.0 come to mind. It's believable, at least.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My gut says it's legit...and my gut is usually right.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Damn. If Thinksecret posted it, it mustn't be true.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Given this site?s track record, I say they?re fake or from a very early build.

So basically, you're saying that they're fake or they're real? Way to go out on a limb!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Looks kinda... legit. But there should be a much bigger section for formulas and stuff. Otherwise it's just "Oh look I can make such pretty tables. Woooooo." ...I am undecided though, could be a fakee.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

So basically, you're saying that they're fake or they're real? Way to go out on a limb!

Ahaha, yes. Do make up your mind...

In my opinion, ThinkSecret has a pretty good track record. Let me rephrase. HAD a pretty good track record... until they got sued.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    it looks legit but that simple of an interface is easy to make up. I just hope this years pages can finally let me replace word, I can't stand it's current layout for things like essays and research reports. It would also be cool if they gave it a screen writing template, but I'd still love final draft anyways so that's no big deal.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Almost posted the link to this last night, but chose not to because I didn't think it was real (Think Secret has be loony since they got sued).

I'm not sure... it looks too basic for a real spread sheet; just a modified version of Keynote with a table for a main page.

Just the same, I do bleieve a spreadsheet is coming. iWork = iDon'tWork without a spreadsheet and a database. Meaning: a small business would still need a further app to handle money and a further app to control their database. Keynote and Pagers are fantastic, but a small business (or even a family manageing their budget) needs more.

We'll know for sure in a couple of days!!! YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAHHHH!
  • Reply 9 of 29
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I dunno... this looks an awful lot like pages with a table in the work area. Maybe that is exactly what Apple would have in mind of their iWork spreadsheet, but I think that I could generate a very similar screenshot using only pages.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Looks disappointing to me. I'm getting tired of waiting for Apple to put the whole thing together. It really seems they are taking it as slowly as possible.

I love and use Keynote all the time. Pages is good, but doesn't work with scientific reference managers (Sente, EndNote). I'm still using my little database in Appleworks which hobbles along without updates, I'm afraid it will never migrate over to iWork.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Not that impressed with the screen shot. It looks like less than you get in AppleWorks.

I think Apple needs to get iWork filled out - first so they can finally drop Apple Works and secondly so I can have a good reason to upgrade yet again. That means a spreadsheet that can do more than the basics and a FileMaker Lite database. Apple knows how to do it - all they have to do is look at Apple Works.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I don't see anything too fake about it except the Sidebar. I don't see the point in that one, except maybe as a way of managing different pages of a Spreadsheet document, but then there is the sub pages... I don't know about the Sidebar, but the rest looks pretty much exactly like how I would expect it to be, like the other 2 iWork Applications, only with Spreadsheets.

Sebastian
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson O'Genic View Post

Looks disappointing to me. I'm getting tired of waiting for Apple to put the whole thing together. It really seems they are taking it as slowly as possible.

I love and use Keynote all the time. Pages is good, but doesn't work with scientific reference managers (Sente, EndNote). I'm still using my little database in Appleworks which hobbles along without updates, I'm afraid it will never migrate over to iWork.

So far Keynote is the only sensible, attractive, Office-killer component of iWork. Pages is cute but not business-grade, beyond boutique-y setups.

I reckon Keynote was developed so well because one day SteveJ woke up and went, "Fsck, I'm not going to be presenting all this cool Apple stuff using PowerPoint...!!!!". Hence how mature Keynote is.

Their Spreadsheet App, yeah, it's pretty much somewhat R&D at the moment.

Filemaker is a very mature database program for the Mac. You wanna try it some time? Can be nice...

My mum uses Pages2 for writing her recipe book. Not necessarily easier than Word but at least it's NOT Word. Heh. 8)
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I don't see anything too fake about it except the Sidebar. I don't see the point in that one, except maybe as a way of managing different pages of a Spreadsheet document, but then there is the sub pages... I don't know about the Sidebar, but the rest looks pretty much exactly like how I would expect it to be, like the other 2 iWork Applications, only with Spreadsheets.

Sebastian

I think the killer part of the app will be the "formula inspector" or something like that... Some sort of very simple way of setting up the calculations and stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

So far Keynote is the only sensible, attractive, Office-killer component of iWork. Pages is cute but not business-grade, beyond boutique-y setups.

I reckon Keynote was developed so well because one day SteveJ woke up and went, "Fsck, I'm not going to be presenting all this cool Apple stuff using PowerPoint...!!!!". Hence how mature Keynote is.

Their Spreadsheet App, yeah, it's pretty much somewhat R&D at the moment.

Filemaker is a very mature database program for the Mac. You wanna try it some time? Can be nice...

My mum uses Pages2 for writing her recipe book. Not necessarily easier than Word but at least it's NOT Word. Heh. 8)

I use Pages every day to create STUNNING documents that aren't possible in Word, and would take hours longer in Quark or InDesign. The bottom line is that Pages is pure gold once you learn to use it, and likely my favorite Mac app at this time. I can't count the number of times it's made me look like a better designer than I am, or dressed up a dog of a document enough to earn a high-five from my CEO.

Take the time to learn pages (add gloss effects using 40% opaque to 0% whites with an overlapping shape) and you'll be blown away by what's possible.

LOVE PAGES!
  • Reply 16 of 29
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson O'Genic View Post

I love and use Keynote all the time. Pages is good, but doesn't work with scientific reference managers (Sente, EndNote).

As a long time LaTeX user, I've never used any of the Word-oriented ref mgrs, and have found BibDesk to be *WONDERFUL*. I have several hundred entries in there, with linked PDFs, URLs available, and citation drag and drop. If all you're looking for is a ref manager, it's insanely useful and easy to use. It's like iTunes for refs.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

I think the killer part of the app will be the "formula inspector" or something like that... Some sort of very simple way of setting up the calculations and stuff.

Bingo. I don't understand how people can say that they're disappointed, or that it looks underpowered from a *screenshot*. Cripes, people, this isn't MS we're talking about here, or a Linux app, where every possible feature, widget, toolbar and toggle is IN YOUR FACE ALL THE TIME screaming for attention.

This is Apple. Minimalist. Quiet. Subtle.

Keynote and Pages look little different with their inspectors closed.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

As a long time LaTeX user, I've never used any of the Word-oriented ref mgrs, and have found BibDesk to be *WONDERFUL*. I have several hundred entries in there, with linked PDFs, URLs available, and citation drag and drop. If all you're looking for is a ref manager, it's insanely useful and easy to use. It's like iTunes for refs.

Thanks for the info, but I recently switched to Sente (which they advertise as iTunes for references). I have thousands of references and hundreds of linked PDF files. I have no desire to switch again - too much work. For anyone who may be interested in an Endnote alternative: http://www.thirdstreetsoftware.com/index.cgi?page=sente

I love pages because of the great graphics (no turning my PDFs in fuzzy bitshit). For grants, I sometimes write in word and add my and references then, at the end, add the graphics in Pages. Problem is that if you need to re-write later then you have to go back to the version without the graphics. The probelm is with Apple not providing any means for third parties to hook into their app.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

So the reason these Images suck is because there is no Formula Inspector in the currently non existent Images of the Inspector in Lasso?

This is a pretty accurate Image, if it isn't real, it is as close as you can get to it being real without it being real.

Sebastian
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Nice, thanks for the info back - I like the quick review feature.

Yes, the lack of instant cross-app edit is a bit of a pain at times. LinkBack looked like it was going to solve that problem, but it seems to have stalled, darnit.