The reason iWeb sucks

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I needed to put up a few pages with some dog pictures and another with remodel of the house/kitchen....and since we are without a TV right now because we got rid of our standard definition TV before the 52" HD TV arrived (delayed, long story), I figured...hey, I have .mac, iPhoto and iWeb...why not take a few hours and put together a quick site..

Plugged in the Sony camera...iPhoto sucked in 50 pictures...

5 minutes later I was done with nothing to do. Web site deployed and complete.

Curse you Apple!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I needed to put up a few pages with some dog pictures and another with remodel of the house/kitchen....and since we are without a TV right now because we got rid of our standard definition TV before the 52" HD TV arrived (delayed, long story), I figured...hey, I have .mac, iPhoto and iWeb...why not take a few hours and put together a quick site..

Plugged in the Sony camera...iPhoto sucked in 50 pictures...

5 minutes later I was done with nothing to do. Web site deployed and complete.

Curse you Apple!

So you hate iWeb because it took you only 5 minutes when you planned on killing a few hours.

My own page took about an hour to make because I kept fixing text, trying to figure out details, etc. and it's not quite done yet... mainly because I don't know what to do with it...

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 15
    but uhm... iweb does suck.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post

but uhm... iweb does suck.

For what it does, No.

For what it doesn't do, Yes.

I'm happy enough with what it does, I don't believe Apple needs to be the Jack of All Trades in everything.

Sebastian
  • Reply 4 of 15
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

There is no way to add visitor comments to a blog!? I mean that's BASIC.

yes you can: http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/iweb/iw2-1.html

and the html, there are workarounds: http://iwebmore.ctrl-j.eu/iWebMore.html
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I'm about to launch a charity and have recently commissioned a small web-design firm to create a website for it. Will I be able to edit and update the pages with iWeb or does it generally only work with pages that it has created - ie. will it screw up what is there already?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

I'm about to launch a charity and have recently commissioned a small web-design firm to create a website for it. Will I be able to edit and update the pages with iWeb or does it generally only work with pages that it has created - ie. will it screw up what is there already?

The web design firm should be able to answer this for you.

If the site doesn't have a Content Management System tied to it (password protected forms and functions that allows you to easily update content), I would ask them what they suggest for you to use. You may have problems if an application starts to add excess code and things that are unnecessary.

For those of you that have used iWeb... how close does it get to making pages that would be considered standards-compliant? Do they hold up in all browsers? I hand-code xhtml sites so I'll never need to use iWeb... just curious if Apple created a web app that bucks the trend of outputting coded nonsense.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Lol!!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

You will not be able to use iWeb to edit/update the site UNLESS the design firm uses iWeb to create it and gives you the source. Which if true, I'd fire the design firm.

iWeb is very basic. You create your content and iWeb generates the html and publishes it. You cannot access the generated html code (very easily) to edit it directly. And even if you did dig down and find the html pages, the next time you save the page in iWeb, they would be regenerated. Although you may be able to design a nifty little web site, iWeb is VERY basic in web site management.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    iWeb instead of being a better way of building a web page unfortunately came out only as a way for a novice to build a personal page. It assumes you're a complete idiot and does everything for you. It should at the very least have options to add HTML code. When they're done fixing iWeb, they should shart working on WebPro. This software platform has a lot of potential.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Worse bit for me is the text formating - justification is terrible & the text on the published site looks nothing like the view in iWeb on the computer.

Perhaps I am doing stuff that it wasn't designed to do, but as I have limited web knowledge, it is the only easy way for me to host a website!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Ohh that would be sweet. I can't wait for Web pro. here is my iWeb site: web.mac.com/ashan
  • Reply 12 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    You can't insert HTML?! That's just...stupid. Damnit...and I actually have a little web page making to do for once in a decade too! I was hoping on popping up iWeb! But I need to do some HTML! Oh well I guess I'll just use Mozilla.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

For what it does, No.

For what it doesn't do, Yes.

I'm happy enough with what it does, I don't believe Apple needs to be the Jack of All Trades in everything.

Sebastian

yeh compaired to frontpage, this is the dog's.