The app I want...NO, need!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A mac version of MS Paint! That thing is crazy useful, when I was a win user it was a mainstay of my daily operations. When I switched it felt weird and took me a long time to get used to not having it.

OSX has video, dvd, photo, web and yet no drawing? What? [Arrested Development]Come On![/Arrested Development]

I want an apple paint, call it "Doodles" and bundle it with OSX from here on out!

Apple my digital life includes 2 second drawings, and scribbles, you're not completing my digital life!

And what ever happened to apple works? I used to love that back in elementary school!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I'd like to see your portfolio of what you've made with MS Paint
  • Reply 2 of 22
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Uh, hate to say it, but there is I think. MacPaint or something like it. It is a 68K program so you will need classic to get it to run. I'm sure you can find it on the web somewhere. *

* This is not exactly illegal as I think it is considered abandonware which can be downloaded now.

EDIT: Hmmm. I thought it was color. Maybe I am thinking of an early version of Claris Works.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

A mac version of MS Paint! That thing is crazy useful.!

YES, a simple painting app. Sometimes us kids just want to doodle, i've tried iDraw, i've tried Seashore, I've tried 'em all for the Mac. Apple needs to make a simple drawing app for the Mac. I don't give a shit want they call the damn thing. Something like Paint DeLux that was on the Amiga, just something.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Something like Paint DeLux that was on the Amiga, just something.

you had an Amiga?

anyone tried ArtRage ? there is a free demo version and a $19 FULL version, much fun to be had
  • Reply 5 of 22
    www.flyingmeat.com makes a great little app called FlySketch that is a screen capture and simple drawing app wrapped into one package.

http://www.flyingmeat.com/flysketch/

It is 24 bucks, but it's bloody fantastic. You can annotate a screen snap, draw an original image and then quickly and easly drag and drop directly from the app to any other app that accepts images.

I use it practically every day for the little doodles in life.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    back in the old days we had kidpix.. that was some baller ass software.. dunno whether it still exists.

*EDIT*

quick search on google found this:

http://www.macworld.com/2005/03/revi...uxe3/index.php

you have to pay for it though. but i remember it being somewhat awesome.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Rita.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Rita.

meter maid
  • Reply 9 of 22
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post

back in the old days we had kidpix.. that was some baller ass software.. dunno whether it still exists.

What a coincidence! There was a update released today.

Haven't heard of that program since I was using a Performa 578.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    See! The love to simple painting app is out there, deilver jobs, have cupertino start their photocopiers!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    The original mac came with mac paint.

It was crazy useful. Really easy. I did mockups of houses that I designed using it in college.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

The original mac came with mac paint.

It was crazy useful. Really easy. I did mockups of houses that I designed using it in college.

Damn. So did I on my MacPlus! Got yelled at when I submitted a drawing for an architecture class; it must be done by hand! My repsonse was that the future will be in computers; almost failed that class, decided not to go into architecutre and here we are, where every new house design is presented with 3D images or nobody gives it a 2nd look. \

Also, if you buy a Wacom tablet, there is aoften some kind of drawing app bundled with it.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Man I remember KidPix, I wish there was something like it out there too.

The dynamite... classic!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Like everything else made with Microsoft software?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Sure but I hope you're a lover of "abstract" art.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    A new MacPaint implementation. That sounds like fun. Betchya a kick a$$ version would be easily done with all the tools Apple provides.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Damn. So did I on my MacPlus! Got yelled at when I submitted a drawing for an architecture class; it must be done by hand! My repsonse was that the future will be in computers; almost failed that class, decided not to go into architecutre and here we are, where every new house design is presented with 3D images or nobody gives it a 2nd look. \

Also, if you buy a Wacom tablet, there is aoften some kind of drawing app bundled with it.

They even had brick and other textures that you could fill into any defined space. The ability to snap a line on an angle with variable widths. A really simple program. I did alot with it.

I probably fit on a 128k disk. Apple could bundle the damn thing today as a dashboard widget.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    A bit of searching turned up Rita, which looks reasonable. ChocoFlop is pretty cool as well and has a lot of promise, but is still alpha software. I'm sure there are others, if you look.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    A while back, I picked up Expression 3 when it went free. Not bad. A little kludgy, and while technically a vector drawing app, it does *beautiful* paint as well. Works great with my little Wacom tablet.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14792
  • Reply 20 of 22
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm not an artist myself, but the MacDraw/MacPaint days were cool.

I think if Apple went back to the idea they would call it iPaint, which would infuriate everybody.

Expression is abandonware and I think most of the other suggestions so far have been OS9-based.

I've never used it, but this is usually pitched as the keeper of the MacDraw/MacPaint grail in the modern era.