"First 30 years just the beginning..."

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 159
    What bothers me about this is that Apple is giving up a prime piece of web real estate for more than a week for a really vague teaser. There has to be a good reason why they're not using the space to promote a product.

The only thing I can get out of this is that they want people to know that they're 30 years old. Why? Not sure. Maybe it's just to remind people they have staying power, iPod/Mac is not just a fad. Less likely, maybe they want to scare up studio support for the movie store; "you don't want to be left out of the great new stuff we have coming."

A thirtieth anniversary Mac or iPod seems unlikely, but I can't get the idea out of my head that they're priming people with the "30".

It's unclear, but I think there's a reason here beyond a teaser.
  • Reply 142 of 159
    30 Frames Per Second?
  • Reply 143 of 159
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Some people like the chin... for post-its and stuff :-)

Come on! There's Dashboard for that! Just a 'click' and it's there! It's hard to break old PC/Windows habits, but it's worth it.
  • Reply 144 of 159
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    That graphic on Apple's homepage is also a banner at Moscone, it seems. What does it mean? I think it has to do with Apple morphing beyond a computer company. It has become a consumer electronics company, the next Sony, but Sony isn't doing well these days. Apple is into digital music, digital video, sound, portable players and is about to get into the living room with iTV and into another pocket with a phone. All of these things are and will be well integrated, offering an unparalleled user experience.

So, the graphic represents the dawning of a new era for Apple. Macworld is also when Steve sets the tone for the year. Not everything will come out at once. I hope the phone gets at least a mention or the stock could drop. Of course, the stock could also go up if Steve mentions how many iPods and Macs were sold last quarter.
  • Reply 145 of 159
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Come on! There's Dashboard for that! Just a 'click' and it's there! It's hard to break old PC/Windows habits, but it's worth it.

There is also a dedicated Application

Sebastian
  • Reply 146 of 159
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy View Post

Yes, I think the iMac will be the next big thing from Apple.

No chin. Just the LCD and get this..... NO BORDERS AROUND THE SCREEN.

The image will be plastic borderless.

real cool.

I love the chin on the iMac, and I would never think of putting post-its on it. Some of us just like the look. It has a classic monitor look but it's floating.
  • Reply 147 of 159
    just something i noticed when looking through the balance sheets of dell, apple and others. apple has increased their R&D spending by about 40% from 2005 to 2006. in fact the spending was pretty stable at about 500 million per year up till 2005, then jumped to 712 million in 2006. i wonder if we'll see a similar jump in 2007.

knowing how efficient apple is today with its R&D money, this sortof spending increase would only coincide with new, real products happening. some of which i'm sure we've seen already and some we have yet to see.

interestingly if you look at competitors like MSFT and DELL, their R&D budgets have either flatlined or retreated slightly in recent years. MS was spending more 3 years ago than they did last year.
  • Reply 148 of 159
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexander View Post

...There has to be a good reason why they're not using the space to promote a product....

They are using the space to promote a product, its just that we don't know what the product is yet!
  • Reply 149 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iggypopped View Post

just something i noticed when looking through the balance sheets of dell, apple and others. apple has increased their R&D spending by about 40% from 2005 to 2006. in fact the spending was pretty stable at about 500 million per year up till 2005, then jumped to 712 million in 2006. i wonder if we'll see a similar jump in 2007.

They were also granted quite a few patents this year

Sebastian
  • Reply 150 of 159
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Well it is notable that Apple was founded in 1976, but they did not release the Apple II until 1977. I think that expansion into other product lines and fields is what Stevie has planned. And maybe a visit by Woz. Just a thought, but Jobs seems like a man more interested in action than important dates.
  • Reply 151 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

Well it is notable that Apple was founded in 1976, but they did not release the Apple II until 1977. I think that expansion into other product lines and fields is what Stevie has planned. And maybe a visit by Woz. Just a thought, but Jobs seems like a man more interested in action than important dates.

That's because they were too busy building and Selling Apple I's by hand to their local hardware/computer/something shop.

Sebastian
  • Reply 152 of 159
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

That's because they were too busy building and Selling Apple I's by hand to their local hardware/computer/something shop.

Sebastian

Don't forget the whole "development" thing.

But that does not change my point.

What is the corporate info boilerplate?

"Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and ..."

Steve had his hands on that and he had his hands on the teaser.
  • Reply 153 of 159
    carlcarl Posts: 17member
    See the new Macworld Setup thread.. an Italian site got some good pics.. looks like the 30th Anniversary theme is prevalent several of those banners including right in the front windows..
  • Reply 154 of 159
    Yes, it is very interesting that Apple is playing up this angle so much, hopefully pointing more toward the "future" than reflecting on the past, and very hopefully pointing toward some paradigm shift (into overdrive) with whatever new product release(s) they pop out.
  • Reply 155 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Sounds like one sticky situation

Actually, it's more likely a multitude stickies situation
  • Reply 156 of 159
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Check the other post with the Italian sites photos: It's the theme of MacWorld Expo. Not a New Year's message. A message about the coming year's big changes.
  • Reply 157 of 159
    I wouldn't expect a major overhaul of the UI in Leopard. There will be some colour shifts and refinement but that has always occurred as part of a major "dot" release. If you're expecting something completely new and different I'd be prepared to be disappointed. iTunes 7 is the best indication of what we're likely to see in Leopard. Be careful not to get swept up in the reality distortion field!
  • Reply 158 of 159
    I may be crazy, but after seeing the banners in the web photos and in person, I've gotta say this looks like an ad campaign theme, with "Welcome to 2007" as the tagline.
  • Reply 159 of 159
    btw...TOMORROW IS THNE DAY...it will dawn