Quad Core--when is it coming?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been reading websites, a glimpse on a nerd magazine, but does anyone exactly know when the Intel Quad core is coming out? Thats when I'm going lay down some serious cash for a new mac tower. yahhhhhhh!!! Oh lordie, I'm thinking dual GeForce 7950 videocards, Soundblaster (if it will work 7.1 card) 8 GB of ram, 4 TB of hdd, Avid Adrenaline (if it work)

taking the side cover off and taking it to my friends bodyshop and getting a plexiglass see thru and install lighted fans, serious 700watt power supply, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

I've been reading websites, a glimpse on a nerd magazine, but does anyone exactly know when the Intel Quad core is coming out? Thats when I'm going lay down some serious cash for a new mac tower. yahhhhhhh!!! Oh lordie, I'm thinking dual GeForce 7950 videocards, Soundblaster (if it will work 7.1 card) 8 GB of ram, 4 TB of hdd, Avid Adrenaline (if it work)

taking the side cover off and taking it to my friends bodyshop and getting a plexiglass see thru and install lighted fans, serious 700watt power supply, etc.

Just buy a Mac Pro and then buy a couple of Xeon quad core processors.

http://www.pricewatch.com/cpu/xeon_q...45_2.33ghz.htm

THE FUTURE IS NOW
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halo1982 View Post

Just buy a Mac Pro and then buy a couple of Xeon quad core processors.

http://www.pricewatch.com/cpu/xeon_q...45_2.33ghz.htm

THE FUTURE IS NOW

yah but does the mac pro support LGA771 sockets? i thought they were still LGA775
  • Reply 3 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

yah but does the mac pro support LGA771 sockets? i thought they were still LGA775

By your # scheme, LGA771, and LGA775, you would think the latter is better or newer. Is that incorrect?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The real X5xxx Xeons use LGA771 sockets. Mac Pros use real Xeons.

Low-end X3xxx 'Xeons' use LGA775 sockets commonly found on desktop motherboards.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Oh no doubt. The Mac Pro never supported anything but dual woodcrests. Doesn't that alone tell you right off the bat?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Oh no doubt. The Mac Pro never supported anything but dual woodcrests. Doesn't that alone tell you right off the bat?

\tThe real X5xxx Xeons use LGA771 sockets. Mac Pros use real Xeons.

Low-end X3xxx 'Xeons' use LGA775 sockets commonly found on desktop motherboards.

therefore the mac pro uses LGA771 sockets, and will support the quad xenons?

and what performance difference is there between low end LGA775 quad xenons (if they have them)

and LGA771 socket supported xenons? I'd like buy a Mac tower and swap out the processors but

is this just some internet guestimate or a real theory that has been proven? Thanks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

\tThe real X5xxx Xeons use LGA771 sockets. Mac Pros use real Xeons.

therefore the mac pro uses LGA771 sockets, and will support the quad xenons?

and what performance difference is there between low end LGA775 quad xenons (if they have them)

and LGA771 socket supported xenons? I'd like buy a Mac tower and swap out the processors but

is this just some internet guestimate or a real theory that has been proven? Thanks

CNET swapped out the CPUs in a Mac Pro for quad core Xeons. So did Anandtech. It's very possible, I'm just too lazy to search for links on performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=6