iTV, is it worth it compared to Xbox?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
We know it's $299. But for what it does will it be worth it compared to other products like teh Xbox 360?

It's being said that Microsoft will announce an Xbox 360 revision at CES which includes an HDMI port and 120gig hard drive on it. People can already download and watch (rent) HD videos on the 360. For $200 more you can also hook up an HD-DVD player. And rumor has it Microsoft is going to try to get into the IPTV game with the 360 for channel surfing and DVR abilities. This is all on top of the fact that it's already a pretty respected game system.

So that just makes me think, if Apple brings out the iTV at $299 (same price as a basic 360) and all it turns out to be is an easy way to send your media from your computer to your TV wirelessly, is that really worth the price in a face of the 360-soon-to-be-home-media-system.

Seems to me iTV will have to at least be able to do everything without another computer present, including buying and downloading iTunes content. And Apple will need to start offering HD video as well. Even then we're still not getting the game system.

I don't own a 360 and I'm not a big gamer at all, but I have a feeling by the end of 2007 (or even the end of this month) we're going to see that these two products are closer in nature then they first appear.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I think Apple's unusual prerelease demonstration of the iTV product at the Showtime event was a toe-in-the-water kind of thing. They talked about the $299 price point as a part of testing the waters.

I think they will release the product at less than that price.

Or, it has some undisclosed feature set that makes it worth the price. (That undisclosed feature set possibly integrating with undisclosed features in Leopard and/or other undisclosed products.)

Tuesday will tell.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

iTV, is it worth it compared to the Xbox?

I'll tell you Wednesday.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    If you are a Gamer who likes PC games and FPSs, get an Xbox 360.

If you are looking to stream content you bought in iTunes, Get an iTV.

It's not Rocket Science People

Sebastian
  • Reply 4 of 28
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I hope it will have the ability to mirror your computer screen i.e. MBP (real time) on your TV.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

If you are a Gamer who likes PC games and FPSs, get an Xbox 360.

If you are looking to stream content you bought in iTunes, Get an iTV.

It's not Rocket Science People

Sebastian

Hmmm, this made me think why not put in some gaming capablities in the iTV?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Hmmm, this made me think why not put in some gaming capablities in the iTV?

Because the last thing I need to do is go into my favorite club on 1up (granted I Haven;t been there in a while) and see the iTV easily slaughtered in the debate.

Apple may enter the gaming market (besides iPod Games), they won't do it now with the iTV.

Sebastian
  • Reply 7 of 28
    I stated back in September what will likely become of the iTV if it doesn't do more than what was originally announced. Hopefully we will be wowed by any newly announced features of the iTV, but I'm not holding my breath...
  • Reply 8 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

In a word: No.

In three words: You don't know
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

In three words: You don't know

In a quick Statement

Apple is not likely to stray too far into gaming at the moment, if at all. In order to make the iTV with Games they would also have to build a controller for it, give it an optical drive (unlikely) or an HDD (slightly more likely but still unlikely) because Streaming games from the Mac or PC would do it no good. It's entire architecture from what Steve demoed is not suited for gaming, and if Apple intends for the final product to be anything like that, it will not have gaming.

Sebastian
  • Reply 10 of 28
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    A good question! I think iTV is priced too high ($299) to compete with an Xbox 360, which included impressive hardware. I never saw an Xbox 360 being used, so I'm not familiar with its media software. I guess it's all a matter of software and implementation.

Also what would happen if the Wii had comparable software? The Wii is possibily going down in price in spring 2007 ($199, EUR 199) so iTV will really need to lower its price AND add something to existing products (I guess software, and how it streams from other devices)
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

A good question! I think iTV is priced too high ($299) to compete with an Xbox 360, which included impressive hardware. I never saw an Xbox 360 being used, so I'm not familiar with its media software. I guess it's all a matter of software and implementation.

Also what would happen if the Wii had comparable software? The Wii is possibily going down in price in spring 2007 ($199, EUR 199) so iTV will really need to lower its price AND add something to existing products (I guess software, and how it streams from other devices)

Regarding the 360, it's a Gamebox and a Media Center Extender at it's core, and now plays HD Movies on an Undersized HDD.

The Wii, it has a few media playback abilities but nothing worth mentioning besides Image Puzzles. They are both game systems.

Sebastian
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Regarding the 360, it's a Gamebox and a Media Center Extender at it's core, and now plays HD Movies on an Undersized HDD.

The Wii, it has a few media playback abilities but nothing worth mentioning besides Image Puzzles. They are both game systems.

Sebastian

It is a game machine, yes, but it has also proven to be quite the media device. In fact, the Xbox Live video service is far more capable in the area of movies then Apple's currently is. The size of the HD isn't even a serious issue because the downloads are so quick and MS lets you download things as often as you want to.

So you buy an entire season of South Park and you can download it from them as often as you want. You rent Superman Returns for $6 in HD and it starts playing twenty minutes after the download starts. Using Connect360 all of my pictures, non iTunes music, and compatible videos are streamed to the 360 from my MacBook Pro. And then I can pop an HD-DVD into the drive and watch a movie.

My point is that unless the iTV does something FAR beyond what the 360 does (highly unlikely, but possible), the 360 makes more sense as it is likely to do a lot more stuff for around the same price, and frankly, the interface is top notch.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    From what has been already disclosed about the upcoming "iTV" product there is a HUGE factor the xbox users are missing. Simpicity. If in fact you simply turn it on and it can pull digital content from network connected iTunes clients then it blows xbox out of the water as a streamlned easy-to-use solution for the majority of users to access their content. Sure, the xbox will do more and perhaps at the same price, or even more for the price.. but then you need a noisy xbox, controllers and the know-how to use it. Apple aims it's products at large user bases for good reason. Can you really imagine someone wanting to mount an xbox behind their flat TV in the bedroom just to stream media? I think not. Clean little box with a simple elegant interface is what's going to sell it. I can certainly see people having a unit per TV in a house.

I'm not suggesting that if you have an xbox or are into gaming that it's not a better solution per individual, but as far as comparing them - it's apples and lemons.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    The iTV will probably have BT so it could possibly play games. not like the 360 but fun none the less.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    But the great think about iTV.... streaming from itunes. That alone is a seller for most people. The Battlestar Galactica(s) that I bought on iTunes can't be streamed to my 360 and played on a television. Then again I could just buy an ipod and audio video cables/dock w/remote and do the same thing....

So rather than just an extender, the iTV ( which it probably won't be called because hasn't apple already made an iTV along time ago? ) will almost certaintly have a harddrive and dvr capabilities. ( maybe even IPTV? ala streaming from youtube etc. )
  • Reply 16 of 28
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

It is a game machine, yes, but it has also proven to be quite the media device. In fact, the Xbox Live video service is far more capable in the area of movies then Apple's currently is. The size of the HD isn't even a serious issue because the downloads are so quick and MS lets you download things as often as you want to.

So you buy an entire season of South Park and you can download it from them as often as you want. You rent Superman Returns for $6 in HD and it starts playing twenty minutes after the download starts. Using Connect360 all of my pictures, non iTunes music, and compatible videos are streamed to the 360 from my MacBook Pro. And then I can pop an HD-DVD into the drive and watch a movie.

My point is that unless the iTV does something FAR beyond what the 360 does (highly unlikely, but possible), the 360 makes more sense as it is likely to do a lot more stuff for around the same price, and frankly, the interface is top notch.

I'm an Apple zealout, but I also own a 360. I will buy the iTV, but I also may use the 360's services.

My problem with the 360 is the rental structure. 14 days seems like plenty of time, but I tried to get V for Vendetta in HD and ended up paying for a movie that I still haven't seen. I started downloading it on my 4Mbps connection one Friday evening, and thanks to various hiccups finally completed it by Monday. I wasn't able to begin watching it while it downloaded (not sure why that is). Since I missed the weekend, got busy with work, and had stuff going on the following weekend, the 14Days was up before I knew it. I wanted to test the HD quality, but given the fact that if a started watching the flim I needed to finish it in 24 hours, and I didn't want to begin it until both my wife and I were ready, it was gone and I never saw a frame of it.

$6 is cheap, but I think I'd rather pay the extra $9 and own it.

The iTV enjoys Apple simplicity and elegance, and ties in extremely well to the iTunes experience. I'm rooting for Apple, and hope they can start something BIG with this device. While I love my XBox 360, I'm DAMN sure I DON'T want Microsoft owning the Living Room.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    1) The iTV will not have any gaming capabilities

The reason:

The Architecture is completely wrong

2) The iTV is a device designed to STREAM content from the iTunes STORE, but will likely let you stream ripped content as well.

3) End of Discussion

Sebastian

I know this is Temp. Insanity, but at least use Common Sense when comparing products
  • Reply 18 of 28
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    If "iTV" can play media streamed from a local machine and drive a high-res graphic interface I see no reason why it couldn't allow you to play the purchased "iPod" games. An iPod can play them and they've got minimal CPU. Who wouldn't want to play some Tetris or Zuma while making dinner!
  • Reply 20 of 28
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    The original XBox was on the lame side for gaming but generated incredible modding enthusiasm and served many people well as a media center. If the 360 ever got properly cracked, the results would be incredible. It would become almost a must-have for all techies and able to replace a full-blown computer in many uses.

The amount of setup required would exclude non-techies though.